Foreign language Bibles/books?

Eric

Beta Tester
Hello, everyone!
I'm new to SwordSearcher, and I like it. Great program! I purchased SS with some Way of Life books (D. Cloud). I still use Online Bible also (since I'm used to it) as well as two programs for Lithuanian Bibles. So...I've not had time to get a handle on all SS does.

As a missionary, I'd love to be able to have several foreign language Bible versions (same language, different translations) in SS. Can it be done? How? Can I include only a small portion of the Bible (that part I've already translated)?

Also, if I were to format a foreign language book for SS, would I have to change all the Bible references so they work as links? Or could there be some file created that a given foreign book links to that would convert, say, Iz 53:6 (or Izaijo 53:6) to Is 53:6?

I'd love to hear from any missionaries to non-English speaking people that have experience with any of this (as well as from the rest of you :) ).

Thank you,
Eric

As a missionary, I'd love to be able to have several foreign language Bible versions (same language, different translations) in SS. Can it be done? How? Can I include only a small portion of the Bible (that part I've already translated)?

You can use Forge to build Bible modules for SwordSearcher, and they can be partial. Instructions on using Forge are included in the Forge download.

Also, if I were to format a foreign language book for SS, would I have to change all the Bible references so they work as links? Or could there be some file created that a given foreign book links to that would convert, say, Iz 53:6 (or Izaijo 53:6) to Is 53:6?

You would need to use the standard English book names and abbreviations.

Hi, Brandon, and thanks for the info. If what I'm asking for is too much (since Forge is not supported for free), I won't take it personally if you don't answer.

Can I import the KJVSL into Forge and then use it as my basis for my Lithuanian translation (replacing the Eng. with Lith. as I translate from the Greek)? That way I already have the Strong's #s and just have to put my translation around them?

In Forge (E:program files\swordsearcher 5\modules) I found that "KJV" and "KJV16" are there, but there was no "KJVSL".

I'm not sure what it's going to mean to me that UTF-8 is not supported in SS5 for indexing and searching, but I fear that will limit the usability of the Lith translations.

BTW, what does it mean when at the bottom of the Forge screen this message appears?
"Forge for SwordSearcher, version 1.0.2.5
KJV Bible module file loaded (E:\Program Files\SwordSearcher 5\Modules\KJV.ss5bible).
Ready."

Thanks!
Eric

I'm sure hoping the only dumb questions on this forum are the ones we are ashamed to ask, 'cause here goes:

I used Forge to import the KJV module thinking it would import it in total, though I assigned a new name to it. No verses came....just the references.

And how am I supposed to edit the .ssbible file? I tried NotePad, WordPad and Word, and all I get is gibberish.

I guess I violated the first rule for Forge: I have no scripting and programming and HTML experience, which explains why I'm not the one "having no trouble making full use of Forge." :) (from p. 1 of the Forge instructions)

May your allotment of patience increase with each of my questions....
Eric

Can I import the KJVSL into Forge and then use it as my basis for my Lithuanian translation (replacing the Eng. with Lith. as I translate from the Greek)? That way I already have the Strong's #s and just have to put my translation around them?

No -- Forge can't export SwordSearcher modules, it just builds them.

In Forge (E:program files\swordsearcher 5\modules) I found that "KJV" and "KJV16" are there, but there was no "KJVSL".

The KJVSL data is inside the KJV module. But, that really doesn't make a difference because there's no way to export the module.

I'm not sure what it's going to mean to me that UTF-8 is not supported in SS5 for indexing and searching, but I fear that will limit the usability of the Lith translations.

If Lith requires more than ASCII encoding, it certainly will.

BTW, what does it mean when at the bottom of the Forge screen this message appears?
"Forge for SwordSearcher, version 1.0.2.5
KJV Bible module file loaded (E:\Program Files\SwordSearcher 5\Modules\KJV.ss5bible).
Ready."

Just a status line, reporting that the KJV module used for verse parsing has been successfully initialized.

Has anyone out there done this? Any thoughts/advice? Is SS5 a good option for what I want to do?

Thanks and God bless!
Eric

I'm sure hoping the only dumb questions on this forum are the ones we are ashamed to ask, 'cause here goes:
-----
May your allotment of patience increase with each of my questions....
Eric

Eric, I think you'll find no one here thinks any question asked is dumb, and the liklihood is usually someone else may have thought about it but just not asked. And if Brandon can be consistently patient and gracious with someone like ME, you'll find him to be so also! Blessings as you discover new ways to serve the Lord with SwordSearcher.

Thanks, Tim, for the encouragement!

I guess not many foreign language users are out there for SS yet, at least not that are on the forums. :sad: I see there's a Dutch translation, along with French and German (the French one doesn't show French letters right for me, probably because my comp. is set up for Lithuanian).

I am trying to do a Lith. translation module, and successfully imported 2 verses and it works. Yeah!:) I like how the footnotes work. Even a search with Lithuanian letters worked when I didn't use UTF-8 encoding.

I have some questions:
(1) Many Lithuanian letters have what we would call diacritical marks on them (here they are, just to see if they come through on the forum: ąčęėį?ųū?; the "a" should have a tail, the "c" a wedge on top, the "e" a tail, the next "e" a dot on top, etc.). When I do not put in
; ENCODING: UTF-8
everything looks good in SS, but when I export a verse to cut and paste, the special characters have become something else (probably what they would have looked like on someone else's computer that wasn't set up for Lith. language).
When I do use UTF-8 encoding, some letters disappear in the actual SS text, and the exported text looks just like the other (i.e., transfigured (non-Lithuanian) letters).
Any solutions to this problem so the exported text won't be transfigured?

(2) Brandon, are there any plans to enhance the unicode support in SS in the future?

(3) Does anyone have the raw text data of the KJV with the Strong's numbers in it that would work with SS that he'd be willing to share with me, so I could use it when doing my Lithuanian translation?

(4) If not, then maybe Brandon would tell me how include Strong's #s in my Lithuanian module so they work in SS (I realize the definitions will be in English)?

Thanks so much, everyone!
Eric

Hi, again!

I noticed the same problem exporting to clipboard from the TR Greek text -- it can't be pasted into anything. I have raw text version of the TR that I am using (Scrivener's) with accents and breathing marks that I'd love to create a module for, but I assume the same problem will occur.

Eric

I just noticed that when the UTF-8 option is not used in making a module, I can copy to the clipboard Lithuanian from the Bible panel by selecting a certain text and then right clicking (or Ctrl-C) and when I paste to WORD, the letters didn't change! Wonderful! I tried this with the KJVSL module's verses, and the Greek was also ok (though it's formatted for links).

If I use the copy verses dialog (little yellow circle with VS on it), the letters do change...

(the French one doesn't show French letters right for me, probably because my comp. is set up for Lithuanian).

It may be a locale issue. The French translation in SwordSearcher is designed to show properly with standard western locale settings.

Any solutions to this problem so the exported text won't be transfigured?

Not at the moment. UTF-8 encoding in Forge is experimental right now and not yet supported.

(2) Brandon, are there any plans to enhance the unicode support in SS in the future?

Eventually, but nothing at the moment.

(4) If not, then maybe Brandon would tell me how include Strong's #s in my Lithuanian module so they work in SS (I realize the definitions will be in English)?

Strong's data isn't supported in Forge at this time, sorry.

I noticed the same problem exporting to clipboard from the TR Greek text -- it can't be pasted into anything.

Yes, you can -- you just need to change the font in the target application to Symbol. At least, this is how it works with English language locale settings.

I have raw text version of the TR that I am using (Scrivener's) with accents and breathing marks that I'd love to create a module for, but I assume the same problem will occur.

Since unicode isn't really supported yet, probably.

I just noticed that when the UTF-8 option is not used in making a module, I can copy to the clipboard Lithuanian from the Bible panel by selecting a certain text and then right clicking (or Ctrl-C) and when I paste to WORD, the letters didn't change! Wonderful! I tried this with the KJVSL module's verses, and the Greek was also ok (though it's formatted for links).

If I use the copy verses dialog (little yellow circle with VS on it), the letters do change...

The latter uses the Windows clipboard plain-text copy format. It is the most compatible across Windows applications (which is why it's used) but puts the text into ASCII form, and at the mercy of Windows DOS encoding. Copying with the mouse on the screen works differently, which is why you are seeing different results.

Thank you, Brandon, for all of your help! I'm so happy with what I can do with SS! May God bless you!

I'd love to hear from any missionaries to non-English speaking people that have experience with any of this (as well as from the rest of you :) ).

Thank you,
Eric Chapman

In Japan all Bibles are from the Westcott and Hort influence. Does anyone know anything of a Textus Receptus or Majority Text translation? I'd sure like to purchase and teach from this version.

This is one very significant problem many missionaries face. For that reason a good program like SwordSearcher, when it is written and maintained by folks who believe in the sufficiency and accuracy of the Textus Receptus, can be a great help to foreign missionaries when it provides a way for them to input foreign-language translations and books and commentaries (as does SS). For oriental languages, I can only guess what the issues as far as computing are :???:.

This is the only thing I know of (from http://www.wayoflife.org/language/@japanese.htm today):
Bible. Japanese. Note: The Japanese Scriptures listed here are not based on the Received Text. Currently, the only Bibles available in Japanese are based on the critical Greek text. There are two or three translation projects in progress and possibly one or two others proposed to produce a Received Text Japanese Bible. (1) One project began in the mid-1990s and involved missionaries Dave Carter (BIMI), John Himes (BWM), Paul Fischer (BIMI), and two Japanese men. The project is currently on hold because of personnel moves. For information contact John Himes at yohane@eolas-net.ne.jp. (2) Another project is being conducted by missionaries Dr. Larry Hagen and John Mather. Dr. Hagen can be reached through Pastor Phil Spencer, Eastside Baptist Church, 101 E. Syamore Ave., Sioux Falls, SD. 605-339-1034. John Mather is out of Broken Arrow Baptist Church, Pearce, Arizona. 605-862-3347. (3) Bibles International, a ministry of Baptist Mid-Missions, is considering the translation of a Japanese Bible. Their web site is http://www.biblesint.org/staff.html.

It may be wise to check with the Trinitarian Bible Society in London to see what information they have about Japanese Bibles. They only use the TR.

God bless you!

In Japan all Bibles are from the Westcott and Hort influence. Does anyone know anything of a Textus Receptus or Majority Text translation? I'd sure like to purchase and teach from this version.

If I might add a personal note here. A friend of mine from Seminary was a Japanese national. He struggled with the English, but did well enough. I happened to ask him one day about Japanese Bibles. He said [if I recall correctly] that they had about 5 Bibles and while none were as good as the English they did have one that was accepted by the conservative believers, like the KJ is accepted by generally more conservative believers here.

If there's enough interest I could always email him and ask him about the status of things there now. Going straight to a good source is always a good thing, as noted above.

If there's enough interest I could always email him and ask him about the status of things there now. Going straight to a good source is always a good thing, as noted above.

Tim - yes, please try. I'll check on Eric's leads also. I know of a few hopefuls but nothing solid at the present time. TBS does not carry a Japenese Bible. Thanks!:)

(1) For information contact John Himes at yohane@eolas-net.ne.jp. (2) Pastor Phil Spencer, Eastside Baptist Church, 605-339-1034. (3) Bibles Intl, http://www.biblesint.org/staff.html.
(4) Trinitarian Bible Society.

Brother Eric - thanks for the leads. I'll let you know of any positive results.
(1) email address failure - returned
(2) I'll call
(3) I emailed
(4) TBS does not have

Love in Christ Jesus \ brother Bill :lol:

Hello, Brandon,

Is it possible to insert some character on a new line in a user-made Bible module so I can put notes in to myself that get ignored by Forge/SS? I want to put in the names of the books of the Bible so I can easily search to that place in my txt file when I come back to do more on that particular book. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hello, Brandon,

Is it possible to insert some character on a new line in a user-made Bible module so I can put notes in to myself that get ignored by Forge/SS? I want to put in the names of the books of the Bible so I can easily search to that place in my txt file when I come back to do more on that particular book. Thanks for any help you can offer.

If I understand correctly, you're looking for comment lines. Forge doesn't support that at this time; sorry.

Brandon: Thanks for your patience with me. I guess I ask for a lot soon after becoming a user. :) I'm using SS with great profit and love it. Thanks, brother!

Bill (I AM BUT DUST): The Lord bless you, brother, as you try to find something for our Japanese brothers that's based on the TR (and, I assume, Masoretic Text for the OT).

Back