Forge 2.0.1.2 Released

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
Version 2.0.1.2 of Forge is now available.

Forge is a free external module build tool for SwordSearcher. It is designed for advanced users and publishers who need to be able to import a large amount of text into a SwordSearcher module without using SwordSearcher's internal user editor. It can be used to build Bible, Commentary, and Book modules for SwordSearcher 5.

Version 2.0 adds automatic verse linking to Forge. It is no longer necessary to tag verse references in Forge source files. The "Automatically link verse references" option, when checked, will find verse links in the source text and automatically link and index them for SwordSearcher. (If you do not wish to use Forge's automatic verse linking feature, you can un-check this option and use <scripref> tags in the source as described in the Forge user manual.)

I used the new Forge yesterday. It was wonderful that it automatically converted verse references to hyperlinks -- and it was very smart doing it, too. Some of the source references were "exotic" (not standard abbreviations), but Forge got them right! Thanks!

One thing I noticed, though, is that if there is a reference such as "Joh 3:16, 4:12", Forge converts it to "Joh 3:16, 12". That is no doubt because Forge/SS wants there to be a semicolon where the comma is. Maybe that's something that could be changed (unless it would mess something else up)?

For one source document, I wanted the weird book abbreviations to be changed to SwordSearcher standard abbreviations, but for another source, from Great Britain, I would have preferred that the original references stayed in tact in the text, but that a hyperlink were inserted "under" them, so I could see "John 3.16" as originally written, but that it would still link me to Joh 3:16.

One thing I noticed, though, is that if there is a reference such as "Joh 3:16, 4:12", Forge converts it to "Joh 3:16, 12".

I'm not seeing this -- when I test it, it parses as expected (Joh 3:16; 4:12). If you could email me a source file that demonstrates this problem I will look into it.

For one source document, I wanted the weird book abbreviations to be changed to SwordSearcher standard abbreviations, but for another source, from Great Britain, I would have preferred that the original references stayed in tact in the text, but that a hyperlink were inserted "under" them, so I could see "John 3.16" as originally written, but that it would still link me to Joh 3:16.
Forge can't do this automatically -- it will always rewrite verse references to the standardized format. You would have to pre-process the source document and use the new URL protocol (which is forthcoming in the next release of SwordSearcher).

Back