Hardcopy vs SwordSearcher vs other software

monteu

This is an interesting topic, and I am not exactly sure I am understanding your question. I have used SwordSearcher for years for my daily Bible reading and sermon preparation. Approx 1 year ago I transitioned mostly over to another software for a couple reasons. Those were I wanted three parallel Bibles for my daily reading and it offered a more robust Spanish Bible selection, specifically the RV1960 which is the most popular and like the KJV to English. Also I wanted my daily Bible reading notes to sync to my phone and iPad. I still go back to SwordSearcher for some resources I have there and I really like it's simplicity and ease of use. I am using a MacBook now and this weekend plan on putting crossover on and getting Swordsearcher going on it. SS is my number 1 Bible study software that I would recommend to someone. That all said, the only time I use a hard copy of the Word is when I attend church. In some ways I don't like this because I feel like I am losing touch with my Bible in the way that I don't know exactly where a certain passage of scripture is located on a page. I think you know what I mean, when you really know your personal hard copy Bible you just know where certain scriptures are located, like on the right column towards the top in the first part of Romans. That all said I believe for me Bible study software has been a useful tool and a blessing.

Keight

My question is as wide and vague as people want it to be. It is more of a discussion prompt than a request for specific information.

I know exactly what you mean about losing touch with a book. Not just the Bible, but the resource books, too. The books I chose for my links and tabs in SS are mostly books I also have in hardcopy. If the information that pops up as relevant is of any length, I pull out the hardcopy and read it there.

Hardcopies invite browsing. When looking up one thing, we stumble on a host of other things that we would not have known to search for. On the other hand, software identifies specific information that is buried in a bookshelf of books.

My favorite hardcopy books are on a bookshelf at shoulder level when I am sitting at my computer. I can reach them without even standing up. As soon as the software identifies a lengthy article, I turn left 90 degrees and grab the book of the shelf, then swivel my chair another 90 degrees and open it on the bottom of my bed. I keep my hardcopy Bible on a small folding table 90 degrees the right of my computer. Just like the reference books, I open the Bible to any lengthy passages. I have 2 monitors, one for a Mac Air laptop and one for a Windows laptop on my desk. I am literally surrounded by my resources 360 degrees. LOL.

I use the Windows monitor primarily for SS, and also for pdf and audio files that take up too much storage on my Mac Air. I use the Mac monitor for other software and most of my internet searching and streaming. I don't like Windows and it is more prone to viruses when used for online searching. I mostly use the Windows laptop for software that is designed for Windows. The Windows monitor is a little bigger and the speaker a little better, so it is better for SS, and because that is the computer with the most storage, the pdfs and audio files are there, too. And of course I use Windows for Microsoft Office.

I have an iPad that is the best way to access the Tecarta study Bible notes. Sometimes the study Bible notes are VERY cheap, especially around Black Friday.

I use the free version of Logos for the free Faithlife modules and the free book of the month. And I am saving up for a homeschooling history package that is only available for logos.

I purchased the Literary Study Bible from Olive as that was the only software that had the module of this OOP book. I'm not sure who offers it now, or if Olive is still the only one. I am not sold on the literary method for Bible study, but the Bible is the greatest piece of English literature, and I use the Leland Ryken books to help me teach literature, instead of using novels and fiction. One day I need to purchase a used copy of this study Bible when a good copy is available for a good price from a reputable seller.

I use e-Sword for the McGee Thru the Bible series.

The KJV and the older books written for the KJV by men that grew up studying the classical languages as children are not the priority of the other software vendors. Newer is not better or worse than older, but newer does not REPLACE the older modules that are the CORE of SwordSearcher. SwordSearcher is at the center of my study space, but I still need my hardcopy books especially. Using SwordSearcher has increased the efficiency of my time using hardcopy books, more than having replaced my hardcopy books.

chuck in md

I wish I had the free time you all seem to have and the extra money for resources that you all have also.

I enjoy a hardback book more than the computer, but I have lost notes had them destroyed by weather, in my golden years I'm trying to organize my system and the only effective way to do it, be able to pass it on, and disseminate it is electronically imo.

Keight

I have lost all my earthly possessions multiple times. I mean EVERYTHING. Even every last photograph of myself and those that I love and those that have died. I have lost all computer files, too, even ones that were backed up 3 ways. The greater the lengths I have gone to try to hold onto something, the more surreal the story of its loss.

I have learned to live in trust, like the Israelites in the desert given Manna. I am supplied with what I need, sometimes only moments before I need it. At times I have nothing. At other times, I experience moments of luxury that the larger population only sees on TV. When TV crews are filming where I am, I try very hard to duck out of the way.

Certain books are easy and cheap to replace. It brings me comfort to acquire copies of lost books. It grounds me to read again the same words. My life is sometimes too eventful. I have been given some time off to hunker down and recover. I sometimes feel guilty, but I have learned that the greater my comfort and access to resources, the more that is going to be expected of me in the next stage of my journey.

Certain kinds of hardcopy books are cheap to obtain. I use some online used booksellers that have occasional bulk sales and many of the titles in SS are as cheap as a $1.50 each with free shipping. I live in a major city; there is a used bookseller that sells expensive books indoors, but also sells masses of books from an alley for $1.00 each. What I need is being supplied. I think I am feeling more fear than guilt at the current largess raining from the sky. What is coming next?

Keight

I have not sought the excitement. Paul writes about trying to adjust to the extremes. Experiencing the extremes is disorientating and confusing, but in those moments of disorientation and confusion is when we often think a new thought: a new thought that changes us forever, and changes how we write and interact with others. I surrender to the excitement, but it was not my choice, and it continues not to be my choice.

There have been enjoyable moments as my reward for my surrender. I have stood in places and experiences events, where it suddenly hit me where I was and what was happening, and I just started giggling. I call them Forest Gump moments.

Reuniting with familiar words on a page is one of life's treasures that I get to experience, more often than reuniting with people. I get to pick up a worn moldy copy of a book that someone else has discarded as worthless, when they replaced it with something new and "improved", and I have a reunion with an old lost friend.

Thirty years from now, piles of free and almost-free books will be a thing of the past. People buy digital now, not hardcopy. There is nothing to discard when they tire of a book. Yes, we can download free copies of books if we have the technology to read them and access to the supplier of the book, but that is such a more fragile pipeline than paper that can just be handed from person to person, or even abandoned in a pile. No one will need to burn the books. They will just disappear.