How to escape <characters> in Code Mode in User module?

Eric

Beta Tester
Hi, Brandon,

I'm using a User Commentary to make an entry for every v. of the NT, then exporting it to make a Bible module via Forge.

When I type the following in Code Mode in SwordSearcher v. 8.3 in a footnote in a user commentary, then the stuff between the < and > symbols does not show up on screen in the commentary, and when I export the commentary to make a Bible module, the words in between those symbols is also missing in the Bible module.

The verse starts here {This is the sample footnote text <this is the stuff that doesn't show up>.}and ends here.

Any ideas about how to escape those characters or something so they'll work? My problem is that I want to use [brackets], but if I do that the words within them become italicized. So I thought I'd use < and >, but that also causes problems.

Thanks!
 

Eric

Beta Tester
Thank you, Brandon.

But I'm thinking this: isn't plain text what I want to put into a user commentary in order to export it to Forge to create a Bible module? I guess I'll have to play with it, but it seems to me that the using of other character would mess it up. But, I guess it's the opposite: in the commentary module it will use HTML no matter what, but when it exports for Forge it converts the HTML to plain text. Is that right?
 

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
If you're goal is to rebuild the export as a Bible module, then you will have to either convert it to plain text externally (somehow), or avoid doing anything that requires HTML code, including avoiding characters that require HTML escape sequences to see.

I am sorry I missed your first statement about building a Bible module, I would have answered differently. You need to avoid adding anything except plain text, and that means you can't use < or > symbols at all in your case.
 

Eric

Beta Tester
Got it, Brandon. Thank you. I"ll need to come up with some other way to do things.

Edit: I found that if I put [[something]] in double brackets in footnote text, when it is converted to a Bible module, it looks like this:

[the apostle Paul]

I.e., the one set of brackets remains and the text inside them is italicized. That'll work, my main objective being that the brackets would show up.
 
Last edited:

Eric

Beta Tester
Related but different question: why is it that when I export from a User Commentary to Forge, I'm getting HTML tags included, i.e., <scripref>Ps 82:6, Jn 10:35</scripref>?

Seems like I recall a way to turn that off, but I can't remember how. Forge is telling me that it is stripping them out, but I'd rather make sure they are not in there from the get-go.

Thanks!

P.S. How do you put in "code" in this forum like you did in post #2? I don't see a control for that in the editor.
 
Last edited:

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
If you export for forge, it will keep your verse references tagged, and there's no way to change that.

P.S. How do you put in "code" in this forum like you did in post #2? I don't see a control for that in the editor.
1287
 

Eric

Beta Tester
Oh, OK. I wish there was an option to tell SwordSearcher to make certain user books, esp. commentaries, plain text only. Is that a suggestable suggestion for a future enhancement? :)
 

Eric

Beta Tester
Oh, OK. I wish there was an option to tell SwordSearcher to make certain user books, esp. commentaries, plain text only. Is that a suggestable suggestion for a future enhancement? :)
Hi, Brandon,

I would like to remind you of this desire I have :). It's getting harder and harder for me to deal with exported text that has the "scripref" codes in them.

What would be ideal for me would be if each user commentary could have a setting associated with it whereby one could select "Scripture linking and exporting enabled" or "Scripture linking and exporting disabled".

In some cases I sense that what is happening is that I may have "II Sam", but somehow when exported it seems to change to "2Sa". Or maybe these are old problems when I imported a file into a user commentary that had "II Sam" and at the time of import it changed it.

Related thread: https://forums.swordsearcher.com/threads/option-to-export-without-scripref-tags.2886/#post-19853
 
Last edited:
Top