i have many topical verse ref

danw700

how do I save a list of ref + verse that I copy into scan window - I have hundreds of such lists - want them in PCKJV format and settings - I would then add notes etc

I cant see a way to do it = if then scan window let you convert refs to full verse I could copy them out but I would like to save the lists in SS - these days I’m collecting my own volume of work with extra searches

cheers
Dan

Load the verses from the Scan tool into a verse list panel, then right click on the verse list panel and and copy all references (if you want just the references) and then paste the list into a user book editor.

Thanks for the replies – I watched the videos. Is there some type of folder structure that I can use to group the filenames together – I do not mean them in the file tab and I certainly do not want them showing up next to the verses. They are really topical study lists of verses – I suppose within this program they could also include my personal notes. I would like to end up using just this particular software package because it has the pure Cambridge text and I am always interested in the correct grammar, punctuation and settings of the text.

Well I must be thick – I can get the expanded list of reference in verse into the references but I cannot get the references into my book – surely I do not have to create a separate heading inside the book because that would mean I would have to open all of my topical indexes in order to simply use one of them.

Maybe the software is not really designed for my style of use. I simply want to work with the text of the King James Bible that uses the correct settings. I use the Bible for study I have been reading it for over 50 years on long pass a time where I consult other commentaries and sources. I have huge difficulty seeing the text in the preview and I really just what to be able to access a lot of my topical index is that I have spent hours putting together. Text searching no matter how complex does not always bring together all the verses in context of subjects. It requires a wealth of information that has been built up as a result of reading the Scriptures for oneself over a long period of time and being stirred and led by the Holy Spirit.

Cheers for now
Dan

I do not mean them in the file tab and I certainly do not want them showing up next to the verses.

I am sorry, but I do not know what is meant by "file tab." However, you can control which modules have links in the margin area (next to verses). If you want to make a book that doesn't show up there, that is easy. https://www.swordsearcher.com/video/qt/controlling-margin-links.htm

I have huge difficulty seeing the text in the preview and I really just what to be able to access a lot of my topical index is that I have spent hours putting together.

If you want the preview pop-up text to be bigger that is changed under File, Preferences, Fonts and Colors. If you want to just expand a verse reference inside of your text while you are editing just put the caret in the reference and press Ctrl+T -- that copies the whole text into the place where the reference was. See this section of the help file under "inserting text for verses." https://www.swordsearcher.com/helpfiles/current/using_the_editor.html

Attached is a picture showing where you can change the size of the text in the previews (verse popups).
2017-10-05_7-59-28.png

I really just what to be able to access a lot of my topical index... Text searching no matter how complex does not always bring together all the verses in context of subjects. It requires a wealth of information that has been built up as a result of reading the Scriptures
Sorry to stick my nose in here, but may I ask how you were doing this before? (what program, which feature)

By all means :). I started to use a computerised Bible in the early 80s when I brought my first Panasonic machines – they were a form of Panasonic Dos that used a different architecture to MS Dos. The developer was Bible Research in the program name was Verse Search. I was astounded at how fast the search engine was.

I still use it on a daily basis but unfortunately the settings of the KJV text does not even show the italics let alone the text of the pure Cambridge edition circa 1900.

This program collects Bible references in small individually named bins. In the old days they had to be 8 characters for filenames :). I can export these lists of verse references into a plain text file. But I cannot see a really efficient way of holding the great many topical collections that I have within SwordSearcher.

Over the time I have had many Bible programs but in the end the costs of them just became ridiculous. I maintain my Logos set of documents because basically it is free and they keep it all online. About the only thing that I keep in this would be the works of John Fletcher.

I also have Olive Tree because they have a somewhat edited set of the works of Donald Stamp. I am very picky with my commentaries because I have been reading the Scriptures for over 50 years and I have been an active preaching minister during that time and indeed still am.

I like e-sword because it has a very good macro set for MS Word. I do not use it for anything else but while it has for the King James it is not the same settings as the pure Cambridge edition.

I used to run all the packages like QuickVerse and others but I have left them all behind.

I am interested in Regular Expressions and the type of searches that can be achieved but I am still getting used to the program.
These days I am only interested in the King James Bible and I no longer trust Greek lexicons. I learnt pagan (classical) Greek along with Latin as a child :).

I am still considering how I am going to handle all of my topical reference lists. You cannot always build these lists by using searches because the topic will include different base words. It is far more complex than looking for all the Scriptures with a derivative of love in them, for instance.

I am still playing with my new program for what I like about it the most is that I can publish in my own material the pure Cambridge text.

I do wish there was an interactive macro connected to MS Word and I suppose I could build one myself but I find these days that if I do not keep working in a scripting language I soon forget how to construct it :).

Anyway God bless you and keep you brethren it is always wonderful to meet fellow pilgrims praise God :).

Cheers for now
Dan

thanks Brandon - preview is fine now - the visible tabs - I called file tabs - I've sorted out how to set up the windows - thanks

But I cannot see a really efficient way of holding the great many topical collections that I have within SwordSearcher.

I just use a single user book, and create a new entry in the book for each topic. I collect articles and my own topical studies this way.

not really not the 1900 text (the 7th polishing ) - it should be s not S
1 John 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Danw700, I'm hoping to understand how you *interact* with your Topical Collections. How do you use it, or how have you accessed your Topical Collections?
  • Cross Reference?
  • Search for one of the 8 character file names? (topic title) then review the results?
  • something else...?
There is stuff built into SwordSearcher that makes some tasks "automatic". I wonder if this might be easier than it looks?

My topical index is held in.LIB style files within the program itself which does not interact with the Windows registry. They cannot be directly searched by the program so in this case SwordSearcher is far superior. There is a window in the program that goes to the list of these library style filenames and then opens them so that you can see the list of references.

It is really a very simple interface but I have got used to just seeing a list. Basically I am an active preacher and Minister at least three times a week. I tend to use an outline format of a heading and a verse reference or 2. I preach on the fly as it were and so no two messages are the same. The same umbrella set of references can be utilised in many different ways.

I sort of thought that I might end up with a short form of the name of each topical reference list as a tab but I see that this is done by setting headings within a user book. I am sure that I will get there.

Once again thank you all for your help
Cheers for now
Dan

The thing that fascinates me, and always did, about computers is that technically you only need to do something once and you can have it on file forever as it were.

I just have to get used to doing things in a new way. Unfortunately I never liked leaving the one to go to the other :). I end up with a mixture all the time in most things that I do except of course I do not mix up the old covenant and the new covenant Praise God.

I sort of thought that I might end up with a short form of the name of each topical reference list as a tab but I see that this is done by setting headings within a user book. I am sure that I will get there.
Your "list" will be available for you once you build your book. Choose your book to show up in the "margin links" and you will see all verse references that your Topic Collection has concerning the verse you are reading. SwordSearcher sort of makes your book a commentary too automatically. Also when you access your book in the book pane, you can see your list with the drop down arrow, alternately you can then start typing in the box if you want to jump to the topic heading.
I was sort of hoping maybe someone might know of a shortcut to exporting your .LIB file into a format that could be imported back into a SwordSearcher book so the titles would be recognized as book entries.

The thing that fascinates me, and always did, about computers is that technically you only need to do something once and you can have it on file forever as it were.
Alas...:oops: If only I would have made better back ups... :( But now that I can save automatically on OneDrive I have more confidence that I won't lose as much. :)

Thanks for that. Is there a way to have my book tab show up say on the top ribbon?

I use speech recognition software since I am somewhat disabled. If any menu elements are actually visible I can basically number them and open them by voice. Even a shortcut on the desktop would work. It is slow having to dig through everything to get to something that I would be using all the time.

I must say that I am enjoying my experience with this software.

Cheers for now
Dan

Thanks for that. Is there a way to have my book tab show up say on the top ribbon?

The tabs are displayed in alphabetical order. And, you could rename the abbreviation to start with an exclamation point to make it appear first always. So if your book is abbreviated [danwbible] you could change it to [!danwbible] and the ! should sort before all the others. The rename function is on the User menu.

thanks can I make it show with mynotes always to the right of the active verse?

You're talking about the Bible margin, right? You can always have an "edit" link next to a verse for your *commentary* -- but if there is no verse reference in your *book* module to a verse, it will not appear in the Bible margin, because there is nothing for it to link to. As an example, think of a topical book you have written that does not contain any reference anywhere to Genesis 1:1. If there were a link to your book on Genesis 1:1 next to the verse, where would the link take you?

So if you're talking about a commentary when you say "Mynotes" -- yes, the default behavior, if you don't turn it off, is to have an edit link next to every verse in the margin for your commentary. And if you have actual content on the verse, it will also appear as a normal commentary link so you know. If you aren't seeing them, check that you did not hide the module by going to the Bible menu and select "Select items for Bible margin links." Also make sure you didn't disable edit links from the Bible toolbar.

2017-10-09_6-44-03.png

Finally, you might want to consider assigning a verse widget to your commentary. A verse widget can be more convenient than the Bible margin link.

https://www.swordsearcher.com/video/verse-widgets.htm

Back