Inserting a Definition into a Module

marty

Beta Tester
Is there a quick way to locate and insert a specific word in the dictionary in a module? For instance, I want to insert the definition of the word "Churl" into my module, so with the editor open, I click on Insert, Link to an Entry in Book or Commentary Module and select the book, "WebsterA-J" from the dialog box. Then I go to the Entry drop-down selector and type in a "C" (for "churl"). Then I have to scroll down through all the 'ca...' 'ce...' 'ci...' words to get to the 'ch...' words. Then I still have to scroll through all the 'cha...' 'che...' 'chi...' 'cho...' 'chr...', etc. before "churl" finally comes up in the list. I can't type "CH" in the list because it just changes from the 'c' words to the 'h' words. There are a LOT of 'c' words before 'churl'. Is there a better way to get there?

I suppose I could just go to the book I want and insert the first word that comes up, then switch to code mode and change the word... that would be a lot faster! Ok, got it! :)

I suppose I could just go to the book I want and insert the first word that comes up, then switch to code mode and change the word... that would be a lot faster! Ok, got it! :)
That works, but, just so you know, there are two places to change the word in the code editor - EXAMPLE: <p>Churl - <a href="swordsearcher://book+WebsterA-J/churl">WebsterA-J: churl</a></p> - the first occurrence changes the actual reference, the second occurrence is just the word that shows up in the text of the module.

The other option is to send the link from the book panel itself, which is easier to navigate. Right-click in the book panel and select the Send Book Entry Link to Editor option. It will insert a link for the active book entry into your editing entry wherever you had the caret.

2014-09-08_14-54-27.png

I like the way Brandon suggested. It saves duplication. It also pops up the definition when you hover on the link if it's not too long. Here's an example that I have on Pro 1.1 in my notes:

What is a proverb? See WEBSTER DEFINITION . The link refers to the Webster 1913 module. I also have my sync options set up to open the dictionary when I 2click on any word in the Bible. If I 2click on a word in a commentary or book it opens the Topic and Verse Guide where I can pick a dictionary/book of choice.

upload_2014-9-8_16-13-10.png

Thanks to both of you! I was reading in my Plan and wanted to make a margin note (linked Margin Notes commentary module to one of the widgets). It takes a couple clicks no matter which way you do it, but Brandon's way is the least disruptive to the flow of reading, I think. I get distracted easily. :)
I like the way Brandon suggested. It saves duplication. It also pops up the definition when you hover on the link if it's not too long. Here's an example that I have on Pro 1.1 in my notes:

What is a proverb? See WEBSTER DEFINITION . The link refers to the Webster 1913 module. I also have my sync options set up to open the dictionary when I 2click on any word in the Bible. If I 2click on a word in a commentary or book it opens the Topic and Verse Guide where I can pick a dictionary/book of choice.

View attachment 484
Please explain the book, "[BD3] Bonnell's 3 Word Phrases + Webster's 1913." Is that one book or two? If it's two, how does it display?

Thanks to both of you! I was reading in my Plan and wanted to make a margin note (linked Margin Notes commentary module to one of the widgets). It takes a couple clicks no matter which way you do it, but Brandon's way is the least disruptive to the flow of reading, I think. I get distracted easily. :)

Please explain the book, "[BD3] Bonnell's 3 Word Phrases + Webster's 1913." Is that one book or two? If it's two, how does it display?
It's a module where I combined Webster's 1913 Dictionary (for the 12,500 apx. Bible words) and the 3 word phrases in the Bible containing that word plus some other information about that word. See this link: http://forums.swordsearcher.com/resources/bonnells-dictionary-of-three-word-phrases.84/

Oh, yes! I have that! I'll set it up like you have it and will use it instead of the 1928 Webster. Thanks, Bill!

Back