Installation Issue

KptnFmrs

Beta Tester
I use SS on the PC I use to record services and events at my church. This Windows 7 PC has the hard drive sectored into drives C and D. SS has been installed on it from the beginning. That guy that set up the sectors did it in such a way so that the C sector had enough space for the Windows 7 OS and some other things and left most of the free space on the D sector. The OS has been complaining about getting low on space so I wanted to try to reinstall SS on the D sector. I uninstalled and got out my old SS 6 disk and was able to tell it to install on D and this works fine. The problem arose when I downloaded the latest 7.1 upgrade and tried to run it. It tries to install on C and gives no option (that I see) to change this.

Can this downloaded executable be made to offer this option or do I need to get the disk? Or is there another solution to this problem?

Thanks

Ken Hansen
Marion, IA

The downloaded installer you are referring to is actually an intermediary step between download and installation. It extracts files to a temporary folder (a path chosen by Windows itself) and then runs installation, at which time it will actually install over the previous location. There isn't really a way to change the temporary location of the setup files, but they are only used during installation and will be deleted automatically when installation is complete.

If you do not have enough room for that, you may end up with other problems beside this in the future -- it only needs about 850 megabytes for the temporary folder, and that is not much for a hard drive.

If you can't make it work, email me directly (reply to your receipt email) and I will work out an alternative solution for you. Please let me know.

I won't be back in the sound booth until next Sunday. I'll see if there are some things I can move temporarily to allow space to complete the install.
If memory serves, it is a 300gb drive with a 50gb sector for C and a 250gb sector for D. I don't know why he did that (he's not here any more). I've been getting along with just a C drive for years and years. There's probably 200gb free space on D.

I'll let you know what happens.

For now it seems to be running SS6 okay.

Okay; whatever happens we'll get it to work one way or another. Worst-case scenario I can just send you the DVD or a memory stick.

Back