Ipad

Jason W. Elder

Has anybody else seen the advertisements for this?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

How well do you think swordsearcher would work with this or will it?

I do most of my studying, laying across my bed with a 200 W lightbulb over my head. It's hard to get a laptop or a computer screen situated to where you don't break your neck to look at it. For this reason I usually can only get into studying books, or printouts.

This Ipad thing, really interests me.

I'm not entirely sure what the software requirements are for an iPad, but I do know it is similar to iPhone and runs an Apple operating system and requires software to be designed with a touch interface in mind.

There have been Windows-based tablet devices for a long time, but their adoption has been primarily in very vertical markets with specialized uses. SwordSearcher will actually run on these, although it is not optimized for touch-based use.

There will be Windows-based devices coming out soon that will compete directly with the iPad. If these devices actually catch on, I will certainly look into making a version of SwordSearcher optimized for touch-based interfaces. It will be interesting to see if the iPad makes these kinds of devices more popular -- after all, the iPad is not breaking any new ground. We'll see!

...the iPad is not breaking any new ground. We'll ee!

In some of the reviews I read and heard, that was a big slam against it: not reallly living up to the hype; more of a yawn.

In some of the reviews I read and heard, that was a big slam against it: not reallly living up to the hype; more of a yawn.

My impression when I saw it was that it's an over-sized iPhone without the Phone. As I mentioned already, Windows-based tablet PCs have been available for some time. It will be interesting to see if they start to gain popularity.

i pad app

For those interested, laridian.com has an app "pocket bible" that may help you until swordsearcher has their own in the future. I found this very helpful with the variety of bibles, etc. available for free.

Back