Logos 8 v. SwordSearcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewart

I have used the work flow feature in Logos8 and found it very useful. Logos8 is over priced and a portal for be sold much more than I will ever want. However, the Workflow feature would make SwordSearcher perfect.

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
I have never used it. I'd love to read a detailed feature request.

Stewart

The above link will take you to the Logos8 Workflow tool.

RevTim

Beta Tester
Sounds like what I had in Seminary - homiletics and hermenutics. :)

Stewart

Did you find it useful? I am at present doing a read though the bible - one hour a day. Also I am studying the Book of Galatians but on this I am doing Chapter by Chapter, verse by verse, to get a real understanding of the Book. I am using Peter S. Ruckman. Logos8 seems good, but (1) they are always trying to sell the next thing (whatever), also Logos8 does not have a 1611 KJV (it uses a 1900?),and my computer is not powerful enough to use Logos8. Also to get a decent Logos8 system I would have to spend £300+ which is too much. What does homiletics and hermenutics mean? and could I do it at home. I can't think of a decent bible school in London,UK. God bless.

Christopher

Here is a basic work flow from Logos 8 as I have the Baptist Gold. I Still prefer my SS for simplicity. You could just work through this on paper. Also, I am not into reading other translations. I just posted the work flow they give.

Blessings
Christopher

1591412927903.png

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
I appreciate the suggestion and information. It seems like SwordSearcher already offers the ability to perform these tasks, but doesn't have a checkbox/template system for the list. Personally, I would probably just create a user book module and copy in the list and fill in the items as I worked through them. Then I'd have a permanent record of the study. The editor window could easily be left open while the study is performed in SwordSearcher.

Stewart

Here is a basic work flow from Logos 8 as I have the Baptist Gold. I Still prefer my SS for simplicity. You could just work through this on paper. Also, I am not into reading other translations. I just posted the work flow they give.

Blessings
Christopher

View attachment 1402
Thank you for this, I will print it out and make a template out of it. I would like to get Logos8 Baptist Gold but at the moment I have not got the money.

Keight

I use Logos as an ebook reader for copyrighted books that are free or cheap through Logos. It is a fancy Kindle app to me.

I use Sword Searcher for my serious Bible study. It would cost me a fortune to purchase the public domain books through Logos. And ... paying so much for the public domain books and some other marketing pitches leaves me feeling exploited. I do not like to mix my Bible study with that mess.

I am starting over with a fresh install of Windows AGAIN. I recently moved across the country and still am not settled, so ebooks are still my only option, I am installing and relearning and reevaluating software. At times I have not had a Windows computer and had to use other Bible study methods than Sword Searcher, but I always come back to it as soon as I need to choose a primary software package for Windows.

Logos always makes sure to give you way more of what you don't want, and not enough of what you do want. It is SOOO frustrating. And wastes my time and makes the software slow and fills up my hardrive.

Stewart

I use Logos as an ebook reader for copyrighted books that are free or cheap through Logos. It is a fancy Kindle app to me.

I use Sword Searcher for my serious Bible study. It would cost me a fortune to purchase the public domain books through Logos. And ... paying so much for the public domain books and some other marketing pitches leaves me feeling exploited. I do not like to mix my Bible study with that mess.

I am starting over with a fresh install of Windows AGAIN. I recently moved across the country and still am not settled, so ebooks are still my only option, I am installing and relearning and reevaluating software. At times I have not had a Windows computer and had to use other Bible study methods than Sword Searcher, but I always come back to it as soon as I need to choose a primary software package for Windows.

Logos always makes sure to give you way more of what you don't want, and not enough of what you do want. It is SOOO frustrating. And wastes my time and makes the software slow and fills up my hardrive.
Thanks-that is a very good reply.

djmarko53

Just wanted to put in my Two-cents worth on this.
i have been preaching for over 40 years and have been either a QuickVerse or WORDSearch User
since moving to the Kansas City area 20 years ago. Wouldn't you know it? My WORDSearch has
now gone bye-bye, having been bought out by LOGOS. Sure, they gave me LOGOS 8 about a month
ago and low and behold here come Version 9.0 this week with a price tag that requires a minimum of
one arm, one leg and the life of my first-born son. Just as I've got my library built up to about 4,700
books. Sorry LOGOS, but the cheapest upgrade for me right now is Faithlife connect for 15.00 per month,
but it doesn't have but the basic features of vers 9.0 So what if they gave me all the works of Shakespear
and all those books written in Latin. Those books don't mean much. Especially since I don't read Latin.
Learned Greek 40 yrs ago in Bible College but what I really wanted was a powerful search engine and I
just bought the SwordSearcher 8.4 DVD. I am on day 4 of the Evaluation Version 8.4 anxiously awaiting
the DVD's arrival from Amazon. Knew those gift cards would come in handy!!

I must say that I had to search for some verses for a Sermon for Sunday, and my LOGOS 8.0 wasn't doing such
a great job. Tried the evaluation version of SwordSearcher and boy, was I impressed. Now SwordSearcher
may not look like some of those expensive Bible programs (i.e. LOGOS), but since LOGOS wanted nearly $500 to
upgrade to one of the more basic versions of LOGOS 9. That's on the high end. Having the New American Commentary,
John MacArthur Commentariies, Bake Exegetical Commentaries, etc.... Since I've used them for years and probably
am not going to upgrade my LOGOS anytime soon, I now realize the next best thing will be to take some of these
commentaries on my system and make my own versions for SwordSearcher. Sorry guys, that's one I cannot share.

Brandon was so kind to send me a PDF and info about SwordSearcher and FORGE. After reading some info realized
that creating Commentaries and Books is a SNAP! I miss my NLT, ESV, NIV and NKJV translations. Sure, I can still
access them in LOGOS and my WORDSearch (obsolete...) But now that I was able to go into my e-Sword program and
export my NLT Translation to a simple text file, it was so easy to create my own version of the 1996 edition of the NLT.

The feature I wish SwordSearcher had was the ability to import/covert ..bblx(bible) and/or .cmtx (commentary) files
from e-Sword. I'm also a long-term user of e-Sword and have composed hundreds of Commentaries and Books for
use with e-Sword. What would be nice if the .RTF (Word Format) source files for e-Sword Module creation could be
imported into SwordSearcher. For now, think that I will load the .RTF source file(s) into WORD, reformat them and
use the resulting text file to create the same module file(s) in SwordSearcher.

Another thing I like about the SwordSearcher is that it recognizes and plays my Alexander Scourby Audio Files for the
KJV of the Bible.

Last but not least, one neat feature for SwordSearcher would be a Sermon builder and/or a Bible Study Generator
that works on the order of the old "LessonMaker" by WORDSearch. Sorry, LOGOS, but it's not worth $500 or more
to get the same thing in LOGOS 9. Maybe if I was a preacher for a large "MEGA-CHURCH" then maybe, but for now
I will continue to pray that Brandon will stay "Well, Safe and Healthy" at least for the next 20 yrs or so. After that I may
be in a nursing home and won't worry about such things......

--Mark--

wsbones

Beta Tester
I have WordSearch Basic with a many resources that converted from QuickVerse 4. QV 4 was a great program BTW but no longer runs on Windows 10. I keep WordSearch for occasional use due to the resources. When Logos acquired WordSearch, I tried it. I completely removed it after about an hour.

Swordsearcher is the best in my opinion. It's fast, flexible, user friendly, bug free. I love to listen to the verse level audio and be able to take notes at the same time. Brandon listens to the users' feedback and always responds quickly.

Johnny NL

Swordsearcher is the best in my opinion. It's fast, flexible, user friendly, bug free. I love to listen to the verse level audio and be able to take notes at the same time. Brandon listens to the users' feedback and always responds quickly.
Indeed, indeed, indeed....... AMEN ! ! ! !

Keight

Again, my main computer is not running Windows. Using Swordsearcher as my main software package is a no brainer, if life allowed me to stay on Windows; it does not.

I have been playing around with all my options again, including hardcopy books, and Logos. Logos ... sigh! Their aggressive secular marketing tactics used for Bible study software confuses me. I am not sure what my response should be and I feel like I am failing at maintaining what is expected of ME. And when I am no longer doing what I am supposed to be doing, THAT is a problem. What they do is between them and God, but what I do is what I will be held accountable for.

I lost my faith badly awhile back, and have slowly been getting it back. I have been through several stages of transition, that require a whole new set of decisions, including decisions about Bible study software.

I bookmarked this music video and play it when I get extra confused.
Danny Gokey - Love God Love People

I tell myself to keep this up That God wants more than just my love But I’ve been complicating things It’s just like me to overthink Gotta keep it real simple Keep it real simple Bring everything right back to ground zero ‘Cause it all comes down to this Love God and love people We’re living in a world that keeps breakin’ But if we want to find a way to change it It all comes down to this Love God and love people

Love God. Love People. Will I ever get back in college? What state will I be in next year? In 10 Years? Next month? Love God Love People. Keep it real simple.

Logos 9? At that price? That is a definite no! A black Friday sale? Maybe. I only have Logos 8 Fundamentals that I paid $50.00 for during a 50% off sales when they hid the fundamentals page, but I got in through a back door and was able to snag it for 50% off. I cannot find a Logos 9 Fundamentals for sale. Eventually there will be a free version of Logos 9, and probably a Fundamentals like I have for 8. For school it is painful for me not to have the literary features, but they only package the literary features with things that I don't need and cannot afford. I am not sure if what I need will be in the free version. What I need is super basic and when people have moved on to much bigger and shinier things, this basic feature might actually be included in the free basic e-reader.

I use Logos for my ACADEMIC and college studies, as an e-book reader. I have been unable to access its "power" because I am too poor to be able to afford access to their "power".

We’re living in a world that keeps breakin’ But if we want to find a way to change it It all comes down to this Love God and love people

Maybe I am not going back to college. I am not sure how much I am supposed to change course, in this "world that keeps breaking". For me, Logos is entwined with the academic world that some Christians have declined to participate in.

I am responsible for ME, and Christians have historically found it difficult to keep one foot in the academic "world" and their heart focused on the 2 commandments.

Matthew 22:37-40, “Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Which software, if any will help ME best Love God and Love People? It is that simple. If I have faith. Slowly, I am regaining that faith. It was a wild ride getting back here.

djmarko53

Indeed, indeed, indeed....... AMEN ! ! ! !
Cannot disagree with you on that. I have already decided to take some of my favorite WORDSearch
books and convert, copy, etc.... them into SwordSearcher. I like the Search features much better than
WORDSearch. That said, I have been a User of QuickVerse and WORDSearch for nearly 20 yrs. Started
out with QuickVerse when it was version 1.0 on Floppy Disks. When they started to get their act together,
they got purchased by Findex and things went downhill from there. Things improved significantly when
WORDSearch bought out Findex, but their ability to create UserBooks was always lacking. By the time I
built my library to about 3,000 books (Version 12) they got bought out by Faithlife(LOGOS) Now, must
admit that WORDSearch and LOGOS have (or had) a prettier "uncluttered" and/or streamlined initerface,
but I have been more impressed by the Search engine that is in SwordSearcher.

Soon as WORDSearch (Version 12) got bought out last month by FaithLife(LOGOS) I got Version 8.0 as a
free upgrade from LOGOS. Then what happened? Before I could say "GOD IS GREAT!" they came out with
Version 9.0 and offered an upgrade that would cost me an arm and a leg and the life of my first born son.
The minimum upgrade (LOGOS BASIC is over $250). The features I'd love to have nearly $800. Some deals
are well over $1,000. Like the man said "Nice, but no Cigar." I say, "No Way Jose!" Needless to say, SwordSearcher
started looking better and better. Especially the "PRICE in Dollars," and the "SMOOTH" and "POWERFUL"
Search Engine.

Gradually, as I get time, I will Copy and Paste some of my favorites in WORDSearch and LOGOS into SwordSearcher.
Then and only then, I will have the best of both worlds. To me, the only major thing I would like to see in SwordSearcher
is a "STRONG" Sermon Builder, kinda like the Sermon Builder in LOGOS 9. However, I am not willing to fork out over
$500 just to get that feature in an "over priced" package.

I am sitting here impatiently waiting the delivery of my SWORDSEARCHER 8.4 DVD by Amazon. Got $50 in Gift Cards
for AMAZON. Couldn't think of a better thing to spend it on right now, then SWORDSEARCHER! Just hope and pray
that Brandon will continue to create, upgrade and refine his program for at least the next 25 years. By then I will be in
a nursing home and probably won't care. But for now, let me say that WORDSearch and LOGOS look good on the outside
and do have some outstanding features. But just like in cars, it's what's under the hood that matters. For what I need to
do with Bible Studies and Sermon preparations, SwordSearcher has more horsepower when it comes to fast, easy and
efficient searches fo God's Inspired Word.

Mark Johns

Just wanted to put in my Two-cents worth on this.
i have been preaching for over 40 years and have been either a QuickVerse or WORDSearch User
since moving to the Kansas City area 20 years ago. Wouldn't you know it? My WORDSearch has
now gone bye-bye, having been bought out by LOGOS. Sure, they gave me LOGOS 8 about a month
ago and low and behold here come Version 9.0 this week with a price tag that requires a minimum of
one arm, one leg and the life of my first-born son. Just as I've got my library built up to about 4,700
books. Sorry LOGOS, but the cheapest upgrade for me right now is Faithlife connect for 15.00 per month,
but it doesn't have but the basic features of vers 9.0 So what if they gave me all the works of Shakespear
and all those books written in Latin. Those books don't mean much. Especially since I don't read Latin.
Learned Greek 40 yrs ago in Bible College but what I really wanted was a powerful search engine and I
just bought the SwordSearcher 8.4 DVD. I am on day 4 of the Evaluation Version 8.4 anxiously awaiting
the DVD's arrival from Amazon. Knew those gift cards would come in handy!!

I must say that I had to search for some verses for a Sermon for Sunday, and my LOGOS 8.0 wasn't doing such
a great job. Tried the evaluation version of SwordSearcher and boy, was I impressed. Now SwordSearcher
may not look like some of those expensive Bible programs (i.e. LOGOS), but since LOGOS wanted nearly $500 to
upgrade to one of the more basic versions of LOGOS 9. That's on the high end. Having the New American Commentary,
John MacArthur Commentariies, Bake Exegetical Commentaries, etc.... Since I've used them for years and probably
am not going to upgrade my LOGOS anytime soon, I now realize the next best thing will be to take some of these
commentaries on my system and make my own versions for SwordSearcher. Sorry guys, that's one I cannot share.

Brandon was so kind to send me a PDF and info about SwordSearcher and FORGE. After reading some info realized
that creating Commentaries and Books is a SNAP! I miss my NLT, ESV, NIV and NKJV translations. Sure, I can still
access them in LOGOS and my WORDSearch (obsolete...) But now that I was able to go into my e-Sword program and
export my NLT Translation to a simple text file, it was so easy to create my own version of the 1996 edition of the NLT.

The feature I wish SwordSearcher had was the ability to import/covert ..bblx(bible) and/or .cmtx (commentary) files
from e-Sword. I'm also a long-term user of e-Sword and have composed hundreds of Commentaries and Books for
use with e-Sword. What would be nice if the .RTF (Word Format) source files for e-Sword Module creation could be
imported into SwordSearcher. For now, think that I will load the .RTF source file(s) into WORD, reformat them and
use the resulting text file to create the same module file(s) in SwordSearcher.

Another thing I like about the SwordSearcher is that it recognizes and plays my Alexander Scourby Audio Files for the
KJV of the Bible.

Last but not least, one neat feature for SwordSearcher would be a Sermon builder and/or a Bible Study Generator
that works on the order of the old "LessonMaker" by WORDSearch. Sorry, LOGOS, but it's not worth $500 or more
to get the same thing in LOGOS 9. Maybe if I was a preacher for a large "MEGA-CHURCH" then maybe, but for now
I will continue to pray that Brandon will stay "Well, Safe and Healthy" at least for the next 20 yrs or so. After that I may
be in a nursing home and won't worry about such things......

--Mark--

djmarko53

I have WordSearch Basic with a many resources that converted from QuickVerse 4. QV 4 was a great program BTW but no longer runs on Windows 10. I keep WordSearch for occasional use due to the resources. When Logos acquired WordSearch, I tried it. I completely removed it after about an hour.

To wsbones.......

You said something about verse level audio. Not sure exactly what you mean, but let me say
that I have Alexander Sourby's KJV Audio Bible on my Hard Drive. It is in it's own Subdirectory.a
There is an audio (.MP3) file for every chapter in the KJV Bible. They play perfectly with SwordSearcher!
I like how SwordSearcher "advances" the text in a Chapter allong with the audio as it is read by Scourby.
That is a good sweet feature! Don't recall WORDSearch 12.0 or my old LOGOS 8.0 doing that. Another
great reason to like (dare I say it: "Love") Sword Searcher!!

Mark

djmarko53

Again, my main computer is not running Windows. Using Swordsearcher as my main software package is a no brainer, if life allowed me to stay on Windows; it does not.

I have been playing around with all my options again, including hardcopy books, and Logos. Logos ... sigh! Their aggressive secular marketing tactics used for Bible study software confuses me. I am not sure what my response should be and I feel like I am failing at maintaining what is expected of ME. And when I am no longer doing what I am supposed to be doing, THAT is a problem. What they do is between them and God, but what I do is what I will be held accountable for.

I lost my faith badly awhile back, and have slowly been getting it back. I have been through several stages of transition, that require a whole new set of decisions, including decisions about Bible study software.

I bookmarked this music video and play it when I get extra confused.
Danny Gokey - Love God Love People

Love God. Love People. Will I ever get back in college? What state will I be in next year? In 10 Years? Next month? Love God Love People. Keep it real simple.

Logos 9? At that price? That is a definite no! A black Friday sale? Maybe. I only have Logos 8 Fundamentals that I paid $50.00 for during a 50% off sales when they hid the fundamentals page, but I got in through a back door and was able to snag it for 50% off. I cannot find a Logos 9 Fundamentals for sale. Eventually there will be a free version of Logos 9, and probably a Fundamentals like I have for 8. For school it is painful for me not to have the literary features, but they only package the literary features with things that I don't need and cannot afford. I am not sure if what I need will be in the free version. What I need is super basic and when people have moved on to much bigger and shinier things, this basic feature might actually be included in the free basic e-reader.

I use Logos for my ACADEMIC and college studies, as an e-book reader. I have been unable to access its "power" because I am too poor to be able to afford access to their "power".

Maybe I am not going back to college. I am not sure how much I am supposed to change course, in this "world that keeps breaking". For me, Logos is entwined with the academic world that some Christians have declined to participate in.

I am responsible for ME, and Christians have historically found it difficult to keep one foot in the academic "world" and their heart focused on the 2 commandments.

Which software, if any will help ME best Love God and Love People? It is that simple. If I have faith. Slowly, I am regaining that faith. It was a wild ride getting back here.
Lean not on your own understanding. In all your "ways" acknowledge "HIM," and he shall direct you paths!

Well If you can find LOGOS basic upgrade for free let me know!
Got a better idea: What if Brandon could buy out the developer of "E-Sword" Bible Program.
Then he could really give LOGOS a run for their money. Besides, don't believe he has the "OVERHEAD"
that FaithLife has! Just kidding about that....I have authored a couple hundred modules for e-Sword.
Just wish I had the time to convert them all to SwordSearcher. Shouldn't be hard to do since the source
code is in .".RTF" (Word) format. Hey! Even the LOGOS 8 & 9 Personal Books are created in Microsoft Word.
Boy o Boy! If Sword Searcher only had a good Import Feature, I could import all my modules and post them
for download by other SwordSearcher users......

Mark

djmarko53

This is for Brandon:

I have already emailed you about the idea of a Sermon Builder and your Search Engine. That was #1 on my
Wish List for SwordSearcher. Think it will be #2. My new #1 is the ability to import .RTF (e-sword) files and/or
.docx (LOGOS Personal Books) files. That's all I want for XMAS. I'll even throw in my two front teeth!!! Ho-Ho-Ho!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.