djmarko53

• Companion to the Bible by Elijah Porter Barrows - (c)1867. This book is one of the best reads for those who are interested in the Formation and Canon of the Old and New Testaments. In print form, this Public Domain Work is in the neighborhood of 600 pages. What I enjoyed about this book is that it is informative, interesting, and the author doesn't speak "above our heads" in the text of this excellent book. Barrows graduated from Yale in 1826, and, after teaching school for five years at Hartford, was ordained in 1832. In 1835, he declined a position at Oberlin College,[2] choosing instead to become pastor of the first free Presbyterian Church in New York City. Here Barrows remained until 1837, when he accepted the professorship of sacred literature in Western Reserve College (1837–52). In 1853, he was appointed professor of Hebrew language and literature in Andover Theological Seminary, retaining the office until 1866. In 1858, Barrows' D.D. was awarded by Dartmouth College.[2] In 1872, he accepted a like appointment at the Oberlin Theological Seminary. Besides twenty-five articles in the Bibliotheca Sacra, Barrows has published A Memoir of Evertin Judson (1852); Companion to the Bible (1869); and Sacred Geography and Antiquities (1872). He has also been one of the editors of the American Tract Society's Bible with Notes. Barrows wrote the hymn "Hallelujah, Christ is mine", which has been translated into several languages. Below is a listing of the Table of Contents of this fine book:
Title
Plates
Preface

01 Evidences of Revealed Religion
02 Chapter 1: Introductory Remarks
03 Chapter 2: Genuineness of the Gospel Narratives
04 Chapter 3: Uncorrupt Preservation of the Gospel Narratives
05 Chapter 4: Authenticity and Credibility of the Gospel Narratives
06 Chapter 5: Acts of the Apostles and the Acknowledged Epistles
07 Chapter 6: The Disputed Books
08 Chapter 7: Inspiration and the Canon
09 Chapter 8: Inseparable Connection Between the Old Testament and the New Testament
10 Chapter 9: Authorship of the Pentateuch
11 Chapter 10: Authenticity and Credibility of the Pentateuch
12 Chapter 11: Remaining Books of the Old Testament
13 Chapter 12: Evidences Internal and Experimental
Introduction to the Old Testament
Chapter 13: Names and External Form of the Old Testament
15 Chapter 14: The Original Text and its History
16 Chapter 15: Formation and History of the Hebrew Canon
17 Chapter 16: Ancient Versions of the Old Testament
18 Chapter 17: Criticism of the Sacred Text
19 Chapter 18: The Books of the Old Testament as a Whole
20 Chapter 19: The Pentateuch
21 Chapter 20: The Historical Books
22 Chapter 21: The Poetical Books (With Ecclesiastes and Canticles)
23 Chapter 22: The Greater Prophets
24 Chapter 23: The Twelve Minor Prophets
24.1 APPENDIX: Apocryphal Books of the Old Testament
25 Chapter 24: Introduction to the New Testament
26 Chapter 25: External Form of the New Testament
27 Chapter 26: The New Testament Text and its History
28 Chapter 27: Formation and History of the New Testament Canon
29 Chapter 28: Ancient Versions of the New Testament
30 Chapter 29: The Historical Books (Matthew - Acts)
31 Chapter 30: The Epistles of Paul (Romans to Hebrews)
32 Chapter 31: The General Epistles (James to Jude)
33 Chapter 32: The Apocalypse (Revelation)
33.1 Appendix: Appendix: Writings of the Apostolic Fathers
Principles of Biblical Interpretation (Hermeneutics)
34 Chapter 33: Intrepretation: Introductory Remarks
35 Chapter 34: General Principles of Interpretation
36 Chapter 35: The Figurative Language of Scripture
37 Chapter 36: The Unity of Revelation
38 Chapter 37: Scriptural Types
39 Chapter 38: Quotations From the Old Testament in the New

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THIS EXCELLENT BOOK - If you don't try it, you'll never know what your're missing! This is the book you need if you are interested in God's Word and the Interpretation of Gods Word. Does a fantastic job of informing readers of the Development and Formation of the Old and New Testament Canons. Download and unzip to your SwordSearcher Users Module Subdirectory. Contains one subdirectoy and is approx. 1.7 MB in size.

Ken Sturgeon

I dropped the files into the user modules folder but can't seem to find it in the list of books. What name or abbreviation should I look for to see the tab?
Thank you.

djmarko53

The name of the book is companion. It is the same name as the zip file. you should have a assets folder named companion – assets. Then you will have the book itself named companion that will be the name that is on the tab. In other words the tab name is the same as the file name. Any questions holler back..

Mark

djmarko53

Hope you like it. You don't really need the subdirectory, except for the 4 graphics
are necessary for the Link "Plates" at the beginning of the table of contents. That is
the only graphics in the book. Suppose I could have left that part out, but wanted to
make all of the book available. Book should work fine without the subdirectory. In
case you want to delete it for space reasons.

Mark

djmarko53

Thanks for the Link. Boy, that was an old copy of the book. Glad I already had it formatted in Word.
I love converting .PDF Files. Took me about 3 days to do Barrows book. Cannot remember, but, does
the archive site have such files in WORD format. Might be easier to convert such files. Unfortunately,
I don't have any fancy software for converting .PDF files, and depending on the way they were scanned,
they can take awhile.. Anyway, thanks again for the link. BTW, that book is of course available on my site
listed below.....

Mark

djmarko53

Nice job on the module. Thanks.
Thanks. Glad you like it. I just posted the book "New Testament Holiness" by Thomas Cook, (c)1903. He was a British Methodist preacher
in the 19th century. Died I think, before the end of the century. It is also available on my website.....

Mark

Johnny NL

Thanks. Glad you like it. I just posted the book "New Testament Holiness" by Thomas Cook, (c)1903. He was a British Methodist preacher
in the 19th century. Died I think, before the end of the century. It is also available on my website.....

Mark
WE love it !
Thanks, Be Blessed.

Johnny NL

Mark
You should have a "search bar" on you website...
I can't find Thomas Cook..... :(

djmarko53

Johnny it is on his other site

John and chuck,

That module by Barrows is on the Page for "Miscellaneous SS Modules" click on "Modules" on the Menu Bar.
Scroll Down to "Miscellaneous SS Modules" When the page loads, I believe the module is the last one on the page.

Thanks for the comment about the search option. I am checking in on that. Esp. to see if WIX has a free search bar.

Thanks againg guys.....

Mark

djmarko53

Just used two gift cards from AMAZON to order a PDF Editor by ModiSystems.
If it is as good as I have read, hope to use it to edit a lot of PDFs and convert to Word
so i can create more good modules for SwordSearcher..... My second site listed below
has gobs and gobs of PDFs so will start working on some of them next week.

Blessings to all.......

Mark

djmarko53

OK NOW. Took your advice. I have added a Search bar to my weibsite. It is located in the
top-right corner of every page, sorta overlapping the end of the Menu bar. If I add to the
menu bar, may have to relocate the menu bar, further to the right. There is a column there
where I can add Links to special files, favorite downloads, best modules, etc.....Had a liitle
trouble perfecting the appearance of the Results Page....Seems to work so far, Not bad for
a "FREE" Search Bar. Let me know whatcha think. May add some more features.....

Mark

djmarko53

After thinking about it, I moved the search bar to the top right corner. Now it looks good on my end, but I
have a wide-screen all-in-one HP system and is no problem. If anyone has a smaller size screen, they should
let me know and I will move the Search Bar. Maybe shorten the Length of the Menu bar and move the Search
bar back to the left towards the Menu Bar.

Mark

Last edited:

Johnny NL

After thinking about it, I moved the search bar to the top right corner. Now it looks good on my end, but I
have a wide-screen all-in-one HP system and is no problem. If anyone has a smaller size screen, they should
let me know and I will move the Search Bar. Maybe shorten the Length of the Menu bar and move the Search
bar back to the left towards the Menu Bar.

Mark
Thanks....Amen!
Works perfect !

djmarko53

Good. Bad thing is the search bar doesn't show on my Kindle 10" HD
Will modify it so search bar will also display on 10" Android Tablets and laptops
Can also create a version for phones but don't have the time right now....
Currently using Chrome. Will assume its about the same in Firefox or Edge.

Mark

Johnny NL

Good. Bad thing is the search bar doesn't show on my Kindle 10" HD
Will modify it so search bar will also display on 10" Android Tablets and laptops
Can also create a version for phones but don't have the time right now....
Currently using Chrome. Will assume its about the same in Firefox or Edge.

Mark
Thanks.
Personally, I do not use a phone.
My only set up is this one:
PANO 2021-01-02.jpg

Hard to fit ALLLLLL this in my phone !
Lolll
Praise the The LORD for SwordSearcher.... AMEN!

djmarko53

Do you get whiplash moving your head around looking at all the screens? 😁
Most I have are two screens. Two laptops, One Desktop, 10.2"Tablet, several
kindle Tablets. We have 4 BRs with one used as an office.. Your setup has got
me beat. Maybe I can update my office if I get a big Stimulus, Ha---Ha...........

ANYWAY, I changed the Search Bar, hopefully for the last time. Think it looks
better now.

Mark