My Redeemer: Philip Bliss

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
One of my favorite hymns, I just felt like sharing this today.

The story of this song is sad but powerful -- it was probably one of the last songs Bliss wrote and was found after his death. Bliss died in a railroad accident -- he returned to the wreckage to try to save his wife, who also died in the accident. It's not clear to me from the history but it sounds like this song was found in his belongings from the same accident.

(I don't know anything about the people in the videos.)

• I will sing of my Redeemer,
    And His wondrous love to me;
    On the cruel cross He suffered,
    From the curse to set me free.

• Refrain:
    Sing, oh, sing, of my Redeemer,
    With His blood, He purchased me;
    On the cross, He sealed my pardon,
    Paid the debt, and made me free.

• I will tell the wondrous story,
    How my lost estate to save,
    In His boundless love and mercy,
    He the ransom freely gave.

• I will praise my dear Redeemer,
    His triumphant pow’r I’ll tell,
    How the victory He giveth
    Over sin, and death, and hell.

• I will sing of my Redeemer,
    And His heav’nly love to me;
    He from death to life hath brought me,
    Son of God with Him to be.

wsbones

Beta Tester
I Love it too. Compare this to most of the songs coming out and being sung in churches. And, I like the way these guys sing it with male voices without any theatrics. Thanks.

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
I'm very partial to doctrine-heavy music -- this song is a song of deep love for our savior and at the same time filled to the brim with Bible doctrine.

marty

Beta Tester
I like the old hymns much better than the new ones that just repeat the same verse over and over. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sending the vids, Brandon. I am especially partial to the old hymns and have little use for contemporary Christian music. The old hymns actually have a message where the contemporary music is mere repetition with the emphasis on the music which is usually the music of the world.

John

Johnny NL

I came to the LORD, June 24 1986... I just stepped back to the cradle of my Salvation!
What a blessing! Praise GOD ALMIGHTY.
Thanks.

Ruthlyn

Beta Tester
Thanks for sending the vids, Brandon. I am especially partial to the old hymns and have little use for contemporary Christian music. The old hymns actually have a message where the contemporary music is mere repetition with the emphasis on the music which is usually the music of the world.

John
Amen Brother! As a new Christian I had taped most of the songs from the radio program Strength for Today. Those hymns sung by Joseph Barclay really ministered to me. Of course my more contemporary brethren would tell me that the singing was too dirge-like :D, but I loved it. Still do actually :rolleyes: