National DNA Database

marty

Beta Tester
I've started seeing advertisements for a National DNA Database which supposedly will send you a free DNA submission kit and will tell you about your ancestry... ~And keep your DNA information on file~ Does this disturb anyone besides me? :|

marty said:
~And keep your DNA information on file~ Does this disturb anyone besides me? :|
Hello Marty,

I can't think of a reason why it would be disturbing. Why do you find it disturbing?

marty

Beta Tester
I guess it's a 'big brother' thing. Another privacy lost... I wonder if it will come back and bite us one day.

Jerry

Beta Tester
marty said:
I've started seeing advertisements for a National DNA Database which supposedly will send you a free DNA submission kit and will tell you about your ancestry... ~And keep your DNA information on file~ Does this disturb anyone besides me? :|
Yes, I find this stuff very disturbing. I don't think people grasp the long-term effects of gathering information like this. Taken on its own, and for the reasons given, it seems very benign. But when you put all these endeavors together, and view them as a whole, the damage that can be done to individuals and society is depressing.

Do we really trust huge multi-national conglomerates and/or the government, with our privacy? Our DNA no less? Are they honest, trustworthy, and have our best interests in mind? Do you really think the long-term desire of the DNA database is to give us easy access to our ancestors? Um, No. Do you realize how much information the average company can leverage against you? Its staggering. And there isn't much you can do about it.

The National DNA database in England has 3.4 million DNA samples on file, 585,000 of them for children under the age of 16. Why?

This leads to a much bigger discussion on technology in general, as we move from an industrial society to a technological one. Technology always has dangerous sides, some much more so than others. But rarely do we ever think critically about it, or take the time to measure the effects of the technology we use in our homes. New technology is always rolled out gradually, with only the benefits explained. Once you get people hooked, then you can ratchet up the momentum and most people are just too apathetic, or too hooked, to care.

That's what I love about the Amish. They decide as a community what technologies they are going to allow into their midst. And the overriding criteria is - does it hinder, or enhance, the family and the community. I wish all Christians were just as concerned about what we let into our households, and thought just as critically about the technology we use.

And don't even get me started with those little cards you sign up for at grocery stores that give you a discount when you use them. Or cell phones. Blech. Talked about being plugged into the Matrix 24/7.

Related movies that are worth watching: Gattica, Logan's Run, Brazil, The Matrix.

(Sorry, I don't feel strongly about this at all).

-- Jerry

All I need is another report that tells me my DNA is 99% the same as a chimpanzee and therefore we have the same ancestors. :p

My family tree goes back to Noah, and even Adam; though there are some "missing links" between them and me. :)

RevTim

Beta Tester
That's what I love about the Amish. They decide as a community what technologies they are going to allow into their midst. And the overriding criteria is - does it hinder, or enhance, the family and the community. I wish all Christians were just as concerned about what we let into our households, and thought just as critically about the technology we use.
Not to hi-jack the thread, but after vacationing in Lancaster, PA this summer, I am less willing to consider the Amish Christian, in general. As a group I would agree they have many good character qualities, but as I considered their view point, it certainly seemed to me to be just another works of religion / self-righteousness.

I can imagine they are very hard to win to the Lord.

I would be more willing, for the same reason, to consider the Mennonites, by and large, as Christian [of course, as defined by the Word, John 3, Eph. 2, etc..].

I realize this may be painting things with a broad brush, but in general I believe this would be correct.

Hi Marty,
Yes it does bother me, but not as much as this link does.
http://www.adsx.com/

In the peace and love of the LORD JESUS CHRIST,
Preachp

Hi Marty,
Yes it does bother me, but not as much as this link does.
http://www.adsx.com/

Another consideration is the recent rise in child abduction, abuse, and more often than ever before the brutal murder of our innocent children by sociopaths.

On the surface this 'chip' is easily sold to protect the welfare of our children. "Chipping" your new born will start out as a suggested practice and eventually become a matter of accepted practice just like immunization for an infant. Those who choose not to use the chip for the 'protection of our children' might be seen as irresponsible parents'. Scoffers and supporters for the technology might say things like, "What kind of a parent would not want to protect their child from this type of harm? It is simply a harmless chip that is no different than an immunmization shot."

From here it is a very small step to require 'chipping' before our children are able to enroll in public schools, just like shots are required now.

Maybe I am out of sync, but I believe we should be aware of the long term implications.:confused:

we have lost so much freedom already that its spooky. so whats the worse that could happen if someone knew your DNA. maby if HITLER had this ability he would have hunted out all the jews in an attemp to put an end to Gods program. isnt something like this what we are afraid of.

RevTim

Beta Tester
Call me out of synch, but I'm not really worried about these matters.

I plan to be gone before the dark implications are reality.

Now, of course, I pay attentoin to these matters because of their relationship to Scripture, and how they help us see God's Word is true in every respect.

But doesn't worry me what the world system wants to do.

Jerry

Beta Tester
Call me out of synch, but I'm not really worried about these matters.

I plan to be gone before the dark implications are reality.
With all due respect, PT, I think it should worry you. You have no guarantees that you will be gone before some or all of these dark implications are a reality. And if not you, they will affect other Christians, including our kids.

Now, if you would allow me to be morbid for a second, when you say you plan on being gone I wasn't sure if you meant because you were nearing the end of your life (I don't know how old you are!), or because Christ would come back first. I suspect you mean the latter.

Even if a pre-trib rapture view of the end times is correct (and I'm always suspicious of recent revelations from Scripture), the dark implications are upon us already. We're just fortunate enough to live in a short time in history in a particular location where Christians have unparalleled freedom.

But the dark implications behind such "progress" as the DNA database, and the implanted chip, have long since made their presence felt, both in history and in many other parts of the world today. Did it matter to the early Christian what Nero did? Did it matter to the Jew what Hitler did? Did it matter to Russian Christians what Stalin did? Does it matter to the devastated Christians in Sudan what actions are taken by it's sadistic government? Of course it does.

Now, we all know that your soul is secure no matter what man does to you. But we are not just spiritual. Right now we are both spiritual and physical. So it does matter when it comes to our physical life here on earth - how we respond, how we act, and how we protect our children (to whatever extent possible). We are called to protect the needy and the helpless (Prov 31:9, Jer 22:16, etc.), so we must be aware, and stand up for God's truth, and not let ourselves be insulated from the pain inflicted by the world's systems.

RevTim

Beta Tester
With all due respect, PT, I think it should worry you. You have no guarantees that you will be gone before some or all of these dark implications are a reality. And if not you, they will affect other Christians, including our kids.

Now, if you would allow me to be morbid for a second, when you say you plan on being gone I wasn't sure if you meant because you were nearing the end of your life (I don't know how old you are!), or because Christ would come back first. I suspect you mean the latter.
Sorry if I was not clear. I do not plan to be here because either I will have been called Home individually or via the Rapture. Yes, I believe the pre-trib position is correct.

Even if a pre-trib rapture view of the end times is correct (and I'm always suspicious of recent revelations from Scripture), the dark implications are upon us already. We're just fortunate enough to live in a short time in history in a particular location where Christians have unparalleled freedom.
Yes, we can see the signs of Christ's return all around. One thing "scientific advances" like this do are encourage me that God's Word is right. Another thing is that I take comfort that no born again believer is going to have to suffer from the end times judgement. Finally, I hope and pray that these types of "revelations" (if you will) encourage believers to be burdened for those they know who are not saved.

But the dark implications behind such "progress" as the DNA database, and the implanted chip, have long since made their presence felt, both in history and in many other parts of the world today. Did it matter to the early Christian what Nero did? Did it matter to the Jew what Hitler did? Did it matter to Russian Christians what Stalin did? Does it matter to the devastated Christians in Sudan what actions are taken by it's sadistic government? Of course it does.
I'm sorry if you felt my response made it seem as if I was discounting all the suffering done to God fearing people throughout history. That was not the message I intended to convey. I was simply stating that for me, personally, I don't "worry" about such matters.

I did not mean that I don't take them into consideration, nor that I ignore them, nor that I don't try to study and learn. If you'll do a search of "watch" in the NT, you'll find some interesting verses I think have a bearing on how we are to approach such matters.

Now, we all know that your soul is secure no matter what man does to you. But we are not just spiritual. Right now we are both spiritual and physical. So it does matter when it comes to our physical life here on earth - how we respond, how we act, and how we protect our children (to whatever extent possible). We are called to protect the needy and the helpless (Prov 31:9, Jer 22:16, etc.), so we must be aware, and stand up for God's truth, and not let ourselves be insulated from the pain inflicted by the world's systems.
It seems you have extrapolated that I somehow hold to an opposite position with respect to how we ought to care about and for other Christians, when I don't think you could fairly come to that conclusion from my very brief response. I'm sorry if my answer suggested that to you, but I'd like to suggest that it's not an accurate conclusion to come to from the very few lines I wrote in response.

It is clear from God's Word that believers are going to suffer until the Lord takes us out of this world and brings to pass His eternal plan for the ages. But it is equally clear we have victory in our faith and by the blood of the Lamb. We ought not to be so callous that we ignore or disregard the sufferings of others, but we can not allow ourselves to become paralyzed by how much of it surrounds us. We must try to take a balanced approach, and act when and where and how we can to ease suffering, and pray when we can not.

And in all things, obey the Lord's command to witness, and watch.

I hope that clarifies my position a little. Blessings.

Reminds me of Noah. He had no reason to worry knowing his life was in the Lord's hands and His promises are true. Yet he still had concern for others.

2Pe 2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Hi All,
My implication and intent was to demonstrate that the hour of our salvation is drawing near. We who are sealed with the HOLY SPIRIT need not fear such things, those of our families and freinds who are not are very much at risk and we should feel an immediacy in need to witness to them in action and word. Ours is a secure future sealed by the shed blood of our LORD JESUS CHRIST, theirs is an eternity of darkness bound to the prince of the power of the air.

1 Thessalonians 4:13,14...18 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him....... Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Hi All,
My implication and intent was to demonstrate that the hour of our salvation is drawing near. We who are sealed with the HOLY SPIRIT need not fear such things, those of our families and freinds who are not are very much at risk and we should feel an immediacy in need to witness to them in action and word. Ours is a secure future sealed by the shed blood of our LORD JESUS CHRIST, theirs is an eternity of darkness bound to the prince of the power of the air.

1 Thessalonians 4:13,14...18 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him....... Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Revelation 13:16-18 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Revelation 20:12-15 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

I am well aware that we will not be here for this, but what of those that will? This is what I was referring to in my first post when I said it troubles me.

wsbones

Beta Tester
What about the Universal DNA Database:

Psalms 139:16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

I think He will use this database to put us all back together from the dust at the resurrection. Any thoughts?

Bill

marty

Beta Tester
What about the Universal DNA Database:

Psalms 139:16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

I think He will use this database to put us all back together from the dust at the resurrection. Any thoughts?

Bill
I don't think God needs a database for reconstruction. I'm counting on being free of my earthly body.

1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Thanks to everyone for being so candid with your thoughts on this subject. It went right where I thought it was going, but I didn't know how to put it - I was wondering if the database is a step towards marking people for control. It's a scarey thing (whether or not it will directly affect me) -- I am so thankful that our Lord is in charge!

RevTim

Beta Tester
Reminds me of Noah. He had no reason to worry knowing his life was in the Lord's hands and His promises are true. Yet he still had concern for others.

2Pe 2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
That's an excellent way of looking at the matter at hand.

RevTim

Beta Tester
I don't think God needs a database for reconstruction. I'm counting on being free of my earthly body.

1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
Hmmm... What about the truths revealed in 1 Cor. 15?

Thanks to everyone for being so candid with your thoughts on this subject. It went right where I thought it was going, but I didn't know how to put it - I was wondering if the database is a step towards marking people for control. It's a scarey thing (whether or not it will directly affect me) -- I am so thankful that our Lord is in charge!
Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

Luke 12:32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; 15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

Hebrews 13:6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

Hebrews 13:1 Let brotherly love continue.

John 4:18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.

marty

Beta Tester
Hmmm... What about the truths revealed in 1 Cor. 15?
Yeah, that's what I think - 1 Corinthians 15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. :)