PC question

RevTim

Beta Tester
Brandon,

Why when I update a program -- and so many programs seem to do this -- why do I then need to restart my system?

Thanks!

wsbones

Beta Tester
It changes the registry and/or the system files. Stuff that resides in memory of the pc needs to be updated also, not just the files on the hard disk.

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
If a program needs to update a file that is in use, often the only way to do it is to defer the change until bootup when the file can be changed before it's loaded by the operating system.

For the same reasons, SwordSearcher can't be updated while SwordSearcher is running.

SwordSearcher doesn't install or update any system files, so it doesn't require rebooting after installing or updating.

RevTim

Beta Tester
Well, I appreciate the information, but I must confess, there are things about the windows based system which are downright frus-ter-ating, and this is one of them.

While I doubt I would ever switch to a MAC -- I simply have invested too much money in software which is either exclusively for the PC or I've become comfortable with for the PC, even if there might be a MAC version.

However, with that said, I must say I am sometimes somewhat non-plussed at those current "Hi, I'm a MAC...and I'm a PC" commercials where, of course, MAC comes out looking the better for a lot of reasons.

You would think that the PC crowd ( ie: Gates et al ) might want to make the PC a bit more user friendly, no?

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

Okay, thanks for letting me vent.

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
Having used both Mac and PC systems, and doing development on a Mac, my opinion is that the Mac "usability" angle is a complete myth. There are differences, and the Mac does do a few things better than Windows, but that goes both ways. And for developers, Windows is a far superior development platform. It's simply easier to work on Windows because there are orders of magnitude more developers putting their resources into Windows work, so there is more knowledge to work with there.

Also, the next version of Windows (Vista) does make some significant usability and security improvements.

Mac is nice, but until Mac desktop growth can outpace PC desktop growth, it will never make any headway and will always be a niche platform. My opinion is that if it weren't for Apple acquiring the technology that became the iPod, Apple would have exited the entire consumer electronics market years ago.

IMHO, YMMV, HTH, INAL, etc. ;)

PastorTim said:
Brandon,

Why when I update a program -- and so many programs seem to do this -- why do I then need to restart my system?

Thanks!
May I suggest giving Linux a try, you really don't need to be a geek to use it anymore. What I believe to be the easiest version to use is PCLinuxOS. The learning curve is very minimal and all software is a point and click install. If you have a fast internet connection and a cd burner you can download the image and just run the operating system off of the cd to see if you like it. You won't be able to test to see if any of your special Windows programs will run under Wine this way but it should give you an idea if you like it or not.

If you do decide to install it, I recommend installing it on a second hard drive and dual boot into Linux or Windows. After some time you should come to realize that you no longer need to boot into Windows and that the only Windows program you need is SwordSearcher. I'm not just saying that to be nice to our host of this forum, I saying this because it's the truth. I can honestly say that the software I have purchased for my computer in the probably past 10 years has been SwordSearcher and that is not because I pirate the rest, I simply use free software for eveything else. I might add that the latest version runs perfectly on Linux.

Some of the things I use me pc for are;
Personal Bible Study
Home finances
Scan in photos and create photo dvds
Load videos from the video camera and create dvds
Photo image manipulation (example)
Create fliers, pamphlets and save them as pdf files
Transfer files to my iPod with native Linux software

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to write.

I have no desire, nor will I debate the virtues of one OS over another.

RevTim

Beta Tester
MichaelRankin said:
I have no desire, nor will I debate the virtues of one OS over another.
No worries, mate.

Thanks for the good thoughts Michael, but on balance I'm happy enough with windows. Especially because I've invested a lot of money in windows programs. But perhaps if I found I could use the windows programs I like on linux, when ever I get a new pc, I would consider it.