Pop-up footnotes in user created modules?

Regie

Lately my preference has been to put footnotes immediately after the paragraph which refers to it. However, in working I find that many things I find in other software programs have footnotes that pop-up when you mouse over them.

At the present time I am working on creating a module that has tons more footnotes than I believe in anything I have ever done. Is there a way to create pop-up footnotes in SwordSearcher. I don't like going to the code editor but if that is the only way, I can give it a try. It's just easier IMO to really make a mess when fooling with the code editor. Can pop-up footnotes work via Forge if the text is properly formatted?

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give me on this.

Regie

Last edited:
No, there's no way to do that, sorry.

Regie, I poked around a little to see if there might be a work-around and found that if you want to make a book module of just the footnotes and create a separate entry in that module for each footnote, you can create a link in your primary module to those entries in the Editor by using Insert>Link to an Entry in Book or Commentary module. It's really easy to select the Footnote Module and then select a footnote from the drop-down list of entries in that module. You would type the footnote reference in your primary document (i.e. module), highlight it, format it (superscript?) and then while it's still highlighted, go to the Insert menu to link it. You can play with this method using one of the dictionary modules as a 'test footnote module' (they have lots of single-word entries).

Regie, I poked around a little to see if there might be a work-around and found that if you want to make a book module of just the footnotes and create a separate entry in that module for each footnote, you can create a link in your primary module to those entries in the Editor by using Insert>Link to an Entry in Book or Commentary module. It's really easy to select the Footnote Module and then select a footnote from the drop-down list of entries in that module. You would type the footnote reference in your primary document (i.e. module), highlight it, format it (superscript?) and then while it's still highlighted, go to the Insert menu to link it. You can play with this method using one of the dictionary modules as a 'test footnote module' (they have lots of single-word entries).
Yes indeed - I found an answer you had given me some time ago on practically the same question. And I have given it a try. Finally I am about to get it going the way you mentioned. I just had not figured it out before. I created a book module and named it "Footnotes" I think. Now for each commentary or book, that I have footnotes for, I intend to make multiple entries. That way my footnotes will show as pop-ups. This is still a work in progress for me, but I think with your suggestions and my experiments that I will yet get it going the way I want it. It's terrible English, but "you ain't nothing but sharp." :) MGB.

Yes indeed - I found an answer you had given me some time ago on practically the same question. And I have given it a try. Finally I am about to get it going the way you mentioned. I just had not figured it out before. I created a book module and named it "Footnotes" I think. Now for each commentary or book, that I have footnotes for, I intend to make multiple entries. That way my footnotes will show as pop-ups. This is still a work in progress for me, but I think with your suggestions and my experiments that I will yet get it going the way I want it. It's terrible English, but "you ain't nothing but sharp." :) MGB.
Yes indeed - I did get it going. It is a little tedious but IMHO not nearly as tedious as fooling with the code editor. One thing about the code editor is that the print is so small and at almost 80 years old, my eyesight is just not what it used to be - might improve if I got the cataract surgery though, but too big a chicken to do that now for sure. (cluck cluck). I may, however, take a look at the code editor for some of the ones I have done thus far and probably will see what you had told me already about the coding, as best I remember.

Thanks much Marty - you are a real life saver.

I'm glad it will work for you! It's always fun to find ways to do what you want. :)

Back