Port SwordSearcher into MacOS and/or Linux

Scott Hamm

Is there any possibility to make a request that SwordSearcher be ported to MacOS and/or Linux? Is there any possibility in that?

There are no current plans for that, sorry.

SwordSearcher's code base is thoroughly Windows-based as it has been developed since the mid-1990s to leverage that platform. Re-compiling it for Mac or Linux is impossible; a new project almost from the ground-up would be required to support a non-Windows platform. I have no development team, it's just me. I don't have any plans to stop development on the current product long enough to develop a new one for a different platform.

Last edited:
Rats, at least I asked, I really REALLY appreciate your time in creating this GREAT software for God's glory, really. I will figure out a way to get it installed via VirtualBox with a purchase of Windows OS, or something, God will provide a way! =)

Keep on serving Him with great gift that you have!

What I have done is installed Parallels and run a Windows image under that. It allows me to have a shortcut for SS on my desktop that launches the program in Coherence mode so it appears to be running natively on the Mac.

I use Linux and have used Wine successfully with it. If you're willing to purchase CrossOver (https://www.codeweavers.com/), it'll work right out of the box. I'm using the latest version. I haven't tried CrossOver with MacOS but the Linux port was awesome.

Back