Question about "alt-t" function

RevTim

Beta Tester
When I use the "Topic and Verse Guide" is there any way to use a keyboard short cut to close just that box?

Or is the only option available either --
- tabbing over to the "done"
- using the mouse to click "done"

I thought in the past I was able to escape this box / close this box somehow via the keyboard, but I've been stumped trying to do it lately.

Thanks in advance.

At the moment you'll have to tab over to Done to close it with the keyboard.

I've added this to the to-do list.

Thanks,

At the moment you'll have to tab over to Done to close it with the keyboard.

I've added this to the to-do list.

Thanks,

Okay, that would be great. However, now I'm a little curious. Is it just me and my faulty memory, or in a previous version (4x?) were you able to exit out of that box (and others) via the esc key? Or not?

Okay, that would be great. However, now I'm a little curious. Is it just me and my faulty memory, or in a previous version (4x?) were you able to exit out of that box (and others) via the esc key? Or not?

I just checked version 4, and it's the same as version 5.

I just checked version 4, and it's the same as version 5.

Well, that wouldn't be the first time my memory was faulty, and I suspect it won't be the last either.

I guess this begs the question, for me -- Would it be possible to enable the esc key to close the alt-t box, and other boxes like it (eg: ctrl+f2, alt+l, etc.)? Or would that be too hard to do?

That is a solution that seems simple and makes sense (to me -- but of course I speak from a virtual ignorance with respect to what programming demands that makes on you), so I am curious to learn your response. Thanks (to you, and the Lord for not making me a cat, for had I been a feline I'm sure I would have used up all 9 lives a long time ago...)

As a side-note to this discussion, I notice that when I hit the f2 key and the search box opens, I can very easily close it by hitting the esc key, so that may be what I was thinking with the other boxes, and the alt+t box in particular.

As a side-note to this discussion, I notice that when I hit the f2 key and the search box opens, I can very easily close it by hitting the esc key, so that may be what I was thinking with the other boxes, and the alt+t box in particular.

I have to code support for the keypress. Not being able to ESC out of the Topic Guide is simply an oversight, one that as far as I know you are the first to notice. :D Since you're a beta tester, you'll be able to make sure that I don't forget about it during 5.1 development. ;)

I have to code support for the keypress. Not being able to ESC out of the Topic Guide is simply an oversight, one that as far as I know you are the first to notice. :D Since you're a beta tester, you'll be able to make sure that I don't forget about it during 5.1 development. ;)

Great! Of course, I'm showing my bias towards the keyboard and away from the mouse...but it would be a great stroke of convenience for me, and I would guess anyone else who prefers to let their fingers do the flying. Thanks.

Keyboard shortcuts are most excellent!! Any possibility of providing a method for customizing these from preference edit dialog?

Thanks,
Danny

Keyboard shortcuts are most excellent!! Any possibility of providing a method for customizing these from preference edit dialog?

Customization of keyboard shortcuts isn't on the to-do list. Most of what I have read about UI usability shows a steep diminishing return for such customizability, and frankly, it could create support nightmares. Imagine someone asking how to do something, being told what keypress to use, but they've reassigned that keypress to something else... etc.

Always something for consideration, of course.

Use ALT F4 which closes any windows window in focus.

Yes, I do have sufficient experience with windows to understand that.

You might want to re-read the whole thread and see where I was getting in my post & responses to Brandon, a software developer who is very generous with his time, and patience [especially wita betas like me :D ]

Use ALT F4 which closes any windows window in focus.

Good point! I'll try it. Thanks for the tip! All input is welcome! 8)

Back