Rainbow Study Bible

TerriP

Good morning - does anyone know where I could find a Rainbow Study Bible bookmark? I need another one for Daily Bible and Prayer study (one for the Old Testament, one for the New).

Thanks.

Terri P.

marty

Beta Tester
Sorry, TerriP, I looked but couldn't find any. I'll look again. Maybe I'll get some results this time. :)

marty

Beta Tester
Maybe you can make your own?

TerriP

Thanks, Marty, Ruthlyn! I was thinking that, Marty, to make my own. I do have a color printer so I could just write one up. Or I could scan the one I have, see if that works.

p.s. what is a "beta tester" ?

You guys are always a blessing. You all enjoy this day that the Lord has made!

marty

Beta Tester
I sent an email to one of the Christian book stores that carries the Rainbow Study Bible and asked if they had just the bookmarks for sale. I got a reply - 'sorry, not available.' If you do print up your own bookmarks, you could take them to an office supply store and get them laminated.

A "beta tester" makes sure that new software works like it's supposed to in different situations and configurations before the software is released for sale so that the programmer can fix any bugs before it goes out. :)

TerriP

Marty! Thanks for checking, that was real sweet of you. And I do have a manual laminating machine; we bought it for just that very purpose, as a matter of fact, for making bookmarks! I've got a bunch of them - if you want, I will email. I mean bookmarks, not laminating machines.;) Well, I won't mail the laminated ones but the pre-laminated kind, be happy to send.

Thanks again, Marty :)

marty

Beta Tester
Thanks, Terri! I don't use paper books anymore, so don't need the bookmarks. Good deal that you have a laminating machine! I've made photo placemats using 11x14 photos printed at Sam's (they have the best printers - 16 colors vs 3 at most printers - and inexpensive) then get the photos laminated back-to-back -- Voila!

TerriP

Marty what do you use, then, Kindle or one of those, like an I Pad? I would be interested to know how you like it, or anyone else out there if you have any preferences, I would appreciate any tips or suggestions or reviews, that sort of thing. I was kind of thinking of getting one but I haven't even looked at one in person so I don't know where to start! Can you get an ap or whatever that is called, to download an entire Bible? Oh! Can we load SwordSearcher on one of those things, is there an ap for that? Or my Daily Bible and Prayer, I would need both of them, is there a plug-in like to fit a flash drive or something to load up software? Or could I download SS & DB&P to it from the SS website? I just think they are probably great timesavers, too, those little electronic books like Kindle, like can you put a shopping list or other notes on them, that sort of thing.

And by the way, not to change the subject or to wear out my welcome in trying to squeeze in a bunch of questions in one post. ... but can I ask this, I have two monitors now which I find SO HELPFUL, in Bible studies and in work, too (I work out of our home, accounting, see)... So just curious, is it possible to have three or four monitors? Well, three would do. Just wondering, and you are the person to ask, I'm thinking, or one of the sharp cookies in here, anyway.

Thanks again, Marty - Happy Independence day EVERY day you guys, whom the Son sets free is free, indeed!

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
TerriP, SwordSearcher and Daily Bible and Prayer are Windows applications, they do not function as web pages or work on tablets (unless you get a tablet that runs a full version of Windows 8).

I personally have a Kindle Fire. I like it very much for casual reading. However, when I want to do anything creative or in-depth, I am always returning to my desktop.

marty

Beta Tester
I have an original old Kindle that I use for reading books, and a Nook for Internet. If I had waited, I would have gotten the Kindle Fire - it has a webcam, which the Nook lacks. Amazon has tons of free books. There are free Bible apps for all the devices - I even have one on my phone. I'm sorry that SwordSearcher doesn't work on the tablets, but I understand the issues with that and am waiting for Brandon to get an inspired solution.

I have a tiny little laptop that has my SwordSearcher and Daily Bible and Prayer to take with me when I travel. There are new laptops coming out that have really great battery life. I want one already, but have to wait until the price comes down. You can get the Kindle app for your laptop (and smartphone), so if you can only have one device, a laptop will do everything (especially SS). There are some really cute netbooks that will run whatever you want - they're about the size of a paper Bible. I haven't checked for a while to see what the new netbooks are like. (What the eye sees, the heart wants.)

Hope that helps.

I'm intrigued by the Rainbow Study Bible and am thinking about making my SwordSearcher all rainbow colored. :)

Monitors - you can hook up as many monitors as your computer has ports for them. I think Brandon has several monitors on his computer (maybe four?). Brandon...?

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
Monitors - you can hook up as many monitors as your computer has ports for them. I think Brandon has several monitors on his computer (maybe four?). Brandon...?
Three. :)

marty

Beta Tester
Marty what do you use, then, Kindle or one of those, like an I Pad? I would be interested to know how you like it, or anyone else out there if you have any preferences, I would appreciate any tips or suggestions or reviews, that sort of thing. I was kind of thinking of getting one but I haven't even looked at one in person so I don't know where to start! Can you get an ap or whatever that is called, to download an entire Bible? Oh! Can we load SwordSearcher on one of those things, is there an ap for that? Or my Daily Bible and Prayer, I would need both of them, is there a plug-in like to fit a flash drive or something to load up software? Or could I download SS & DB&P to it from the SS website? I just think they are probably great timesavers, too, those little electronic books like Kindle, like can you put a shopping list or other notes on them, that sort of thing.
One of the reasons I got a Nook instead of the Kindle Fire was because while they both have limited storage space, the Nook will take a memory card - so instead of 2 Gb of space, I could have 34 Gb. I have some pdf books that I wanted to add (like cookbooks, so I could have the recipe with me in the grocery store) and the extra memory tipped the balance in favor of the Nook, but in actual fact, the amount of memory turned out to be a non-issue.

If I thought about the webcam (Kindle Fire - yes, Nook - no), I dismissed it. I have a friend who uses her Kindle Fire to Skype (video phone using Wi-Fi or a computer/Internet connection) with her family and I think that would be worth something if your family is far away and you want to see their faces.

I like the look of the Kindle Fire's layout better than the Nook, but that's just aesthetics. I think they're functionally the same. Amazon (Kindle) seems to have more free and inexpensive books than Barnes & Noble (Nook). I kept the 'old' Kindle after I got the Nook because there were so many books on my Kindle. Now I'm glad I have it because of the books available.

There are tons of apps available. The thing with apps is that they have to be programmed to use the operating system of the device, so each device has its own set of apps. SwordSearcher is programmed for Windows so won't work on a device that uses a different operating system (the Kindle Fire, Nook and iPad each have a different operating system). But there are Bible apps available for every device, and apps for making notes and lists, tracking what you eat, etc.

This is just my opinion and application. Maybe there are others with something helpful to add? :)

wsbones

Beta Tester
I have a Kindle Fire HD also and like it a lot. I have several Bible programs on it. The best one seems to be Olive Tree. They are all free with basic resources like KJV, TSK, Strongs#, and some commentaries. You can buy other resources if you like. I have Olive Tree on my Ipod touch also and they syncronize. I carry one or the other to church.

I put my Scourby audio files on the Kindle so I can read the Bible while listening. You can create playlists so you don't have to scroll through 1189 files. I made a playlist for each major Bible section - Law, History, Prophets, Gospels & Acts, Paul, General Epistles.

I also have some good maps in jpg format in a picture directory. Finally, I have a couple games that I enjoy once in a while - cribbage, sudoku, 7 little words.

I get a couple daily emails with free books (Bookbub, and Inspired Reads but most are more appealing to my wife), and I have Amazon Prime which has a monthly book lending library, free shipping on purchases, and streaming video movies.

Finally the county library lends free ebooks with a 3 week lending period through Overdrive.com

TerriP

Thanks, all of you. You have been most helpful!

Ruthlyn

Beta Tester
My whole family and many of my friends have gone ipad crazy, but it is not versatile enough for me. I am thinking of selling the high-end laptop I bought Dec. 2011 and use that money towards purchasing the windows surface pro. That runs windows 8 pro so the SS program will run on that right Brandon? The laptop is heavy and too much to keep lugging around, the surface pro has captivated me... just have to come up with the price! :p

marty

Beta Tester
My whole family and many of my friends have gone ipad crazy, but it is not versatile enough for me. I am thinking of selling the high-end laptop I bought Dec. 2011 and use that money towards purchasing the windows surface pro. That runs windows 8 pro so the SS program will run on that right Brandon? The laptop is heavy and too much to keep lugging around, the surface pro has captivated me... just have to come up with the price! :p
If you can wait until the new Intel Haswell chip is released, prices should come down as they try to sell off current stock - or you can get one of the new Haswell devices and be the envy of everyone on your block! I'll get rid of three laptops to make room for the newbie. From what I understand, the Haswell is the 4th generation i7 chip - longer battery life, faster, brighter - can leap tall buildings in a single bound... I want one! :cool:

Ruthlyn

Beta Tester
If you can wait ... the Haswell is the 4th generation i7 chip - longer battery life, faster, brighter - can leap tall buildings in a single bound... I want one! :cool:
I can wait!! Count me in (I always wanted to leap tall buildings... even if only virtually) ;)