"Save Custom Layout"

TerriP

First, thanks for the 6.0! I was planning to install the new version after finishing up work-related April 15th stuff, then exactly on April 15 I had some real puter probs so had to call Dell and after hours trying to repair, turns out I had to do a complete os re-install, and you know what that means. So to make a long story short (too late!) I just installed SS 6.0 this morning, and I am totally enjoying this new version.

One little thing keeps coming up, though, just an eensy teensy one: When I close SwordSearcher, then re-open, my custom layout is not retained.

Well, I use SS Classic view, but I do re-size the windows. Also when I re-start SS the "Search Results" window is no longer there - the "Books and Dictionaries" takes up the whole left side of the display.

I tried going to "View" but "Save Current Layout" is greyed out and I cannot click on it, either there or in the drop-down list.

When I click on "restores most recently used layout Alt-A" that works okay but I still have to re-size the windows.

So how can I keep my preferred window size and "Classic View" so that each time I start SwordSearcher my display is just how I like it...?

By the way, the more I look around in SS 6.0 (and even in previous versions) the more I appreciate the work you have put into this, and I am ever more amazed at the comparitively inexpensive cost of this software. I was just using "help" and "quick start guide" and I am thinking Brandon must have either a huge workforce (not asking, just observing) or 48 hours in each day (is your middle name by any chance Joshua?)... So Brandon, thanks for your dedication, and I thank my God for your gift!

BTW, easy install and all worked well copying all the (downloaded) modules from my little flash drive to the new program.

Oh, a nice testimony here. I was a bit concerned about my computer failing to respond early in the morning last Thursday (April 15th), because I was expecting last-minute urgent requests from our auditors, also must-postmark-by-April 15 tax payments, estimated payments, etc. I did do two the day before but still was expecting more to go. Well...! Turns out, for the first time since I have been working this job, for the first time, I say, in 24 years, the ten checks I was expecting to have to get out, turns out they were not necessary this year.

Now what are the chances of that happening: that at the particular time my computer is messing up and an os re-install plus re-install of all programs and all software is required to fix the problem - you know how that goes... what are the chances of that happening, that I don't have to write all those tax checks (at least ten), for the first time in 24 years? I'm going to have to ask Dr. Carl Baugh about that one - must be a bajillion to one..

Praise God, thank you, God, for your favor, Praise God!

Thanks for any help on the SS display question above.
Terri P.

First, thanks for the 6.0! I was planning to install the new version after finishing up work-related April 15th stuff, then exactly on April 15 I had some real puter probs so had to call Dell and after hours trying to repair, turns out I had to do a complete os re-install, and you know what that means. So to make a long story short (too late!) I just installed SS 6.0 this morning, and I am totally enjoying this new version.

Glad to hear it!

One little thing keeps coming up, though, just an eensy teensy one: When I close SwordSearcher, then re-open, my custom layout is not retained.

Well, I use SS Classic view, but I do re-size the windows. Also when I re-start SS the "Search Results" window is no longer there - the "Books and Dictionaries" takes up the whole left side of the display.

I tried going to "View" but "Save Current Layout" is greyed out and I cannot click on it, either there or in the drop-down list.
First, here's the "fix:"

Go to View and select the option that says "Enable Layout Customization." That will enable the custom layout functions including saving the current layout. Adjust the panel sizes to your preferences, then save your layout. This should ensure that your window opens the way you expect it to, and if you use the "restore layout" button it will always pick your most recently set custom layout.

Now, I'll explain what's going on.

When you use one of the pre-set layouts and don't save it, the program runs in "simple mode" as far as the layout goes. One of the aspects of this is not opening an empty search results panel at start-up. This was something requested by users in the past -- they didn't like an empty area appearing at start-up. So, if the program is running without layout customization enabled, it opens with a hidden search results panel.

When you enable custom layout, SwordSearcher takes a hands-off approach to your layout and will open the panel just where it was when you closed, even though it is now empty.

By the way, the more I look around in SS 6.0 (and even in previous versions) the more I appreciate the work you have put into this, and I am ever more amazed at the comparitively inexpensive cost of this software. I was just using "help" and "quick start guide" and I am thinking Brandon must have either a huge workforce (not asking, just observing) or 48 hours in each day (is your middle name by any chance Joshua?)... So Brandon, thanks for your dedication, and I thank my God for your gift!
Your comments are very kind, and I appreciate it. StudyLamp Software is a one-man development shop -- but I do this full-time.

By the way, the more I look around in SS 6.0 (and even in previous versions) the more I appreciate the work you have put into this, and I am ever more amazed at the comparatively inexpensive cost of this software. I was just using "help" and "quick start guide" and I am thinking Brandon must have either a huge workforce (not asking, just observing) or 48 hours in each day (is your middle name by any chance Joshua?)... So Brandon, thanks for your dedication, and I thank my God for your gift!

Terri P.

Terri, I wholeheartedly agree with you! Our Father has truly blessed us with Brandon! I have an idea -- Let's keep praying for his continued success! :grin:

Now what are the chances of that happening: that at the particular time my computer is messing up and an os re-install plus re-install of all programs and all software is required to fix the problem - you know how that goes... what are the chances of that happening, that I don't have to write all those tax checks (at least ten), for the first time in 24 years? I'm going to have to ask Dr. Carl Baugh about that one - must be a bajillion to one..

Terri P.

That's a neat testimony. Thanks for sharing. :grin:

Marty

Back