Search Feature in Word?

terrpn

I'm sure this has been covered before......., but has there been any thought of making a SS macro, etc. for when in Word one can search SS without coming out of the document to find a verse?

Maybe it's already there I'm just ignorant and do not know? When typing outlines that would be a great tool to have:cool:

I actually made a 1 button macro on my keyboard for the ctrl-alt-v, but a search key, keys, macro would be outstanding.

Thanks

You can drag the word or phrase from Word and drop it on the "goto" box to do a search in SS.

You can drag the word or phrase from Word and drop it on the "goto" box to do a search in SS.

right................thanks:)

Guess I am just dreaming of somehow being able to something within the word document itself. Since I use SS exclusively now I guess I am wishing for something similar to when I used E-Sword.

Having a big screen does help because you can split the screen and use half for SS.......half for the word doc or you can use a dual dvi monitor layout-- but it is just the want, lusting, coveting for something I can't have. I type a lot of outlines and it would just make life easier.

Regardless SS is still heads and tails the only one for me.

I'm sure this has been covered before......., but has there been any thought of making a SS macro, etc. for when in Word one can search SS without coming out of the document to find a verse?

Where do you want the search results displayed? I am not quite sure I understand.

Where do you want the search results displayed? I am not quite sure I understand.

Hi Brandon,

Just seeing if it is possible while within a word document to hit a couple keys or a macro, etc. without having to leave or go outside that window to do a Bible Search in SS? As an example when we hit ctrl-alt-v within the doc.---- specify verse for SS which we type and it then pastes within the document, etc. We all wear that function out and I cannot imagine not having it.

On the other hand...........is it possible to map a couple keys, etc. when SS is open to do the same thing, but instead do a word search, say "redemption blood lamb"............, so we are able to stay within the document versus minimizing the word doc, then go into another window-- SS, F2, do the search, copy and then paste back into the word doc?

Not sure if I am getting my thoughts on paper for you or not?

If I understand what you're asking for, you actually want the results of the search to be automatically pasted into the document. I'll have to think about that -- there is no way to do this currently.

Would it be useful to have a macro in Word that just performed a search in SwordSearcher based on the selected text?

If I understand what you're asking for, you actually want the results of the search to be automatically pasted into the document. I'll have to think about that -- there is no way to do this currently.

Would it be useful to have a macro in Word that just performed a search in SwordSearcher based on the selected text?

yes sir!:)

Okay -- I can't promise an immediate action on this, but I should be able to make a Word macro that does it. My Word macro skills are very, very rusty. Someone could do this using SwordSearcher's URL protocol. The way I would do it is to write a macro that takes the selected text, and then executes a URL like this:

swordsearcher://search+kjv/[q]SELECTEDTEXT[q]

If someone else with Word macro experience wants to do it that would be great. If not I will try to make one myself when I can get back to this.

Okay -- I can't promise an immediate action on this, but I should be able to make a Word macro that does it. My Word macro skills are very, very rusty. Someone could do this using SwordSearcher's URL protocol. The way I would do it is to write a macro that takes the selected text, and then executes a URL like this:

swordsearcher://search+kjv/[q]SELECTEDTEXT[q]

If someone else with Word macro experience wants to do it that would be great. If not I will try to make one myself when I can get back to this.

That would be a real blessing. Unfortunately I have no skill set in how to that, am not much help and am very appreciative of you making note to maybe seeing that request come to light for the benefit of everybody at some point.

Thank You

Even better would be something like that little utility that WordSearch used to have. It sat in the task bar and whenever a Bible verse appeared in any text in email or Word, a control key sequence would pop up the verse in question using any of the selected bibles the user had in his WordSearch collection. This would be sort of like a Reftagger, but for the computer, not the web.

What about making the "go to / search" box detachable so it could sit on the screen with a small footprint. When this was done SS could be minimized to the icon bar or task bar. Then you could drop stuff directly into the box but still have most of the screen free.

What about making the "go to / search" box detachable so it could sit on the screen with a small footprint. When this was done SS could be minimized to the icon bar or task bar. Then you could drop stuff directly into the box but still have most of the screen free.

Certainly a worthwhile idea to explore. The current implementation doesn't support that, but it could be done.

Brandon,

If this possible would you be able to add a feature like "stay on top" where we could plant it (the box) somewhere within the word doc, email or whatever? As example some "media players" as ZOOM have that feature where you can minimize, etc. and it stay on top.. Many times I will put on a preaching or teaching MP3, minimize it to a small box over SS and can go directly to a scripture in SS and have the box still on top of SS and read the verse.

That would be over the top if this, what Bill was referring to............however sounds like a lot of work. So I am guessing the verses would be shown in the box somehow as well based off the word(s) you typed in for the search?

we could plant it (the box) somewhere within the word doc, email or whatever?

It sounds like you are describing embedding. That wouldn't be possible, at least not without a lot of significant changes.

I think what Bill was describing was just a way to keep the search box on top of everything so it can be easily accessed, but as soon as it was used, SwordSearcher would have to come to the front to display the results.

What if the result were just placed on the clipboard and SS stayed minimized until the task bar or tray icon were clicked?

What if the result were just placed on the clipboard and SS stayed minimized until the task bar or tray icon were clicked?

Certainly possible, it could even be assigned a hot-key like the original post suggested.

However, I am not quite understanding the goal. Probably just a different way of doing things, but I can not think of a time when I would not have wanted to review the results of a search before using the complete text of those results in a word document. Although thinking about it, I suppose it's not that big of a deal to delete the lines you don't want to use...

The idea of editing or deleting lines from a verse list might be one reason. The other would just be to just put a verse(s) into a document with a simple paste (ctrl-v) keystroke. It could replace the alt-ctrl-v function with one that also could do searching without popping up the whole SS interface. I can picture a small, always-on-top box that takes up very little space.

Ashampoo_Snap_2013.05.30_18h37m33s_002_.png
Let me try this..............

Attachments

• Word with search box.jpg
    Word with search box.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 270
The idea of editing or deleting lines from a verse list might be one reason. The other would just be to just put a verse(s) into a document with a simple paste (ctrl-v) keystroke. It could replace the alt-ctrl-v function with one that also could do searching without popping up the whole SS interface. I can picture a small, always-on-top box that takes up very little space.

Does not have to be a macro...........any kind of search box that as Bill says is always on top, takes up little space would be a great feature with a simple paste............ctrl-v keystroke, etc. would be pretty cool.

The emphasis is staying within the program and not having to switch out. I agree that a more complete search would be to switch out, go over to SS.............but for just a simple search to find a verse you might have in mind and can't put your finger on this would be awesome.

For the record I am not whining or complaining...........just asking to see if this request is possible adding to a great program:)

Back