Search Hebrew word or phrase

Editor

Gents,

I'm trying to duplicate a search described in a book about Covenants, or Hebrew contracts.

cut_cont_900x.jpg

In the snapshot above, the author says the expression occurs 86 times.

Here is the expression : יְהוָֹה כָּרַת

which means : Cut a Covenant

Strong's Lex numbers are: 3772 & 1285

This is a big challenge.. and fun, to work with Hebrew words and sentence. :cool:

Here are two cut and pastes (with highlighting) from SS8.

Textus Receptus
Ge 15:18
בַּיּוֹם הַהוּא כָּרַת יְהוָֹה אֶת־אַבְרָם בְּרִית לֵאמֹר לְזַרְעֲךָ נָתַתִּי אֶת־הָאָרֶץ הַזֹּאת מִנְּהַר מִצְרַיִם עַד־הַנָּהָר הַגָּדֹל נְהַר־פְּרָת

KJVSL

Ge 15:18
In the same הוּא day יוֹם the LORD יְהֹוָה made כָּרַת a covenant בְּרִית with Abram, אַבְרָם saying, אָמַר Unto thy seed זֶרַע have I given נָתַן this land, אֶרֶץ from the river נָהָר of Egypt מִצְרַיִם unto the great גָּדוֹל river, נָהָר the river נָהָר Euphrates: פְּרָת

Also a WordPad doc attached. Seems Hebrew is written backwards?

In short.. how to search for a Hebrew expression of TWO words?

-Ed

Attachments

• cut_covenant.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Damn.. the post is LOCKED for editing and it's incorrect. :mad:

Should be: כָּרַת בְּרִית

Ok, I'm calm, don't worry.

Notice above the expression in `Should be´, read in English is Covenant Cut. It's backwards.

The second part of the question is.. how does on COMPOSE, type or enter that expression in FLS (Alt+L) ?

Please try that exercise and post your remarks.

I'm getting 6 results:

Cov_cut_results.png

-Ed

Last edited:
Hebrew is a right-to-left language.

If you want to type Hebrew you will need to install a Hebrew keyboard layout. This is extremely easy to do in Windows 10 and is a matter of a few clicks, probably not as east in Windows 7. Also, it isn't going to be useful if you don't type Hebrew. Copy and Paste will usually work, but with an "exotic" text like Hebrew, which may or may not include vowel points (in your source), it may not always be seamless and easy.

Thanks for the reply,

I think typing Hebrew isn't necessary. Instead, the first issue (or question) is.. how to compose by copy & paste, TWO Hebrews word to PASTE into FLS (A+L)? See TWO words in Reply #2 above. If you copy and paste the first word, then try to go back (to another panel) and copy the second word, you're locked out until you CLOSE the FLS panel, and that ends it. So then, you have to compose a two Hebrew-word phrase in another editor pad, then past that string into FLS.

Umm.. hope that isn't confusing, and I hope this reply is correct, cause I won't be able to go back and fix it later. :)

Here's another part...and Hebrew seems a real challenge. :eek:

How about introduce a new Textus Receptus tab with Strong's Links, or TRSL?

Why? 'cause I'm having great difficulty mousing-over Hebrew words in the TR Search panel. You can toggle (switch) between Full View and Concordant View, but is there really a Concordant? You can mouse-over a Hebrew word in TR, but all it shows is stats in Search panel. I think that's correct, and I cannot read (or learn) anything from a Hebrew word cloud, but it's still a cool feature. Also when doing a Word Cloud on TR, you can mouse-over the Hebrew words, but the pop-up only has stats, and NO Translations! (Concordance)

So you get the feeling of being stuck!

Though I'll have to say you CAN click a Hebrew word in TR, and it will show KJVSL in the Bibles panel, and you can get to H-Strong's in that way.

-Ed

Back