Some suggested commentaries to add

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.r.a.i.g

Maybe consider adding of these commentaries to Sword Searcher. I think they are copyright free

commentaries.png

chuck in md

I know the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge is already part of the commentary package, i use it all the time.

C.r.a.i.g

I know the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge is already part of the commentary package, i use it all the time.
yea. Some of those are part of the Sword Searcher Program, but some of them are not. And they should be free to use. No copyright. I've been using some of the commentaries like Family and British Family Bible Notes. And Hall's explanation of hard texts along with, Charles Wesley, Thomas Scott, and William Burkitt. Otherwise I used Matthew Pooles, Barnes Notes, and sometimes Jamieson, Faussett, and Brown's commentary, but I think those last commentaries are part of the Sword Searcher.

djmarko53

C.r.a.i.g,

Below is a sample of some of the commentaries that I have created recently. It does not include the latests posts,
but if there is something special you are looking for, let me know.

• QUESTIONS AND SUNDAY SCHOOL RESOURCES -- This collection of Sunday-School Resources is provided in SwordSearcher Commentary Format and is released with all material stored in each chapter of the New Testament. Here is what this module contains below....
    [1] Currently contains two sets of Questions for every NT Chapter
    Contains over 16,000 New Testament Questions by E.M. Zerr
    Contains 65 to 200 Questions for Every Chapter in the New Testament
    More Questions are planned for each chapter in the next Update
    [2] Over 1,030 Activities and Sunday School Resources for the New Testament
    [3] Features "Drag and Drop" for above Resources. Point to a particular Quiz,
    Test, Puzzle, or Coloring Picture and drag to your Open Word Processor.
    Drop the Graphic into WORD and print for a nice Bible Study handout.
    [4] Contains over 1,000 Graphic Files in ".PNG" Format (i.e. "Drag and Drop")

WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT THE ABOVE MODULE:
    1. TAB NAME: "EMZQ-NT" This is also the name for the SS Module
    2. Also includes the subdirectory named "EMZQ-NT-Assets"
    3. YOU MUST unZIP the ZIP File directly to you SS Modules subdirectory
    4. ZIP File Size: 171MB --- unZIPped File Size: 189MB

• NEW TESTAMENT COMMENTARY BY RICHARD LENSKI (September 14, 1864 – August 14, 1936) This is a profound 12-Volume Commentary by this famous Lutheran Thologian. TAB: LenskiNTC -- ZIPped: 12.2 MB -- unZIPped: 15.9 MB.

• EXPOSITOR'S BIBLE COMMENTARY - (c)1888-1905 by William Robertson Nicoll.

• "EXPOSITOR'S DICTIONARY OF TEXTS" by William Robertson Nicoll.

• "THE APOCALYPSE" by Joseph A. Seiss (1823-1904) - This is the complete Revision of the Famous 3-Volume Work by Seiss on the Book of Revelation. Contains 52 powerful Lectures that thoroughly examine all 22 chapters of Revelation. This SwordSearcher module presents a trusted "Classic" commentary on the Apocalypse. This module features powerful features to easily navigate through this SS book.
    .............TAB: "RevSeiss" -- File Size: ZIPped: 1.19MB -- unZIPped: 1.83MB.

• Holy Types: The Gospel In Leviticus by Joseph Seiss (1823-1904)​

• Rubies From Ruth by William G. Heslop - This module contains an excellent expostion of the Book of Ruth by William G. Heslop D.D., Litt., S.D.​

• Commentary on PSALMS by F.B. Meyer (1848-1929) -​

• Song of Solomon by John Gill - This Exposition of the bible book "Song of Solomon" was delivered in one hundred and twenty-two Sermons,​

• THE PROPHET EZEKIEL - Arno C. Gaebelein. This is a superb Commentary on the book of Ezekiel and features an excellent exposition of the book by Ezekiel.
    TAB: "EXEKacg" -- ZIPped: 419kb -- unZIPped: 772kb.

• Zechariah--Priest and Prophet by F.B. Meyer (1847-1929)-​

• Gospel New Testament Commentary - Complete Chapter and Verse-by-Verse Commentary on the Entire new Testament from Matthew to Revelation.​

• Commentary on the Book of Matthew by H. Leo Boles - The Full and Complete Commentary on Matthew by Boles. Use this one along with the Commentary on Matthew by J.W. McGarvey and the Sermon Outlines by Copeland, and you have all you need to Study and Understand the Book of Matthew.​

• 111 Sermon Outlines on the Book of Matthew - 111 Sermon Outlines on the Book of Matthew by Mark Copeland.​

• Why Four Gospels? by Arthur W. Pink - An excellent Overview of the Four Gospels.​

• People's New Testament Commentary and Notes by B.W. Johnson. Sometimes referred to as "Johnson's Notes." TAB Name: "PNTC"​

• Volume One - Popular Commentary on Matthew , Mark and Luke by Philip Schaff.

• Volume Two - Popular Commentary on John and Acts by Philip Schaff.

• Volume Three - Popular Commentary on Epistles and Letters of Paul by Philip Schaff.​

• Mark Study - Created from an online Quiz for Mark based on a Study in Mark by Gary Fisher. This is the SwordSearcher Version. This SwordSearcher Version contains Ten Simple Bible Study Lessons on Mark. Each Lesson contains approx. 20 to 30 Questions. There are over 200 Questions to be answered. This Study could easily be adapted to be used as a Bible Correspondence Course. A link to the Website where you can take the Various Ten Quizzes online is found on the Title page of this module.​

• Commentary on the Gospel of John by Barton W. Johnson - This superb and powerful commentary on the Book of John is by B.W. Johnson, the author of the People's New Testament Notes. Tab Name: JohnBWJ. This SwordSearcher module is in Book Format instead of Commentary format.​

• Studies In The Book of Romans by R.C. Bell -​

• Sermon Outlines and Lesson Studies in Acts by I.A. Douthitt

• Commentary on Romans by Moses Lard

• Expostion on the Book of Romans by Robert Haldane (1764-1842) - This is a REVISED VERSION of the Exposition of the Epistle to the Romans by Robert Haldane. Dividing Romans into two sections, chapter one through the beginning of twelve and then the rest of twelve through the end of the book, Robert Haldane provides a detailed look at the doctrinal importance of this book. Included in Haldane’s extensive exegesis are notes on commentaries by other well-known theologians. This Public Domain work, in printed form would be about 740 pages. Filesize: 1.5 MB. This is based on the 1858 print edition.​

• Commentary on the book of Galatians by James Haldane -

• Exposition on the book of Hebrews by James Haldane - Jame Haldane was te brother of Robert Haldane. Notes Intended for an Exposition of the Epistle to the Hebrews. This book was published following the death of James A. Haldane, Notes Intended for an Exposition of the Epistle to the Hebrews engages the reader with verse-by-verse explication of the text. Attempting to illuminate and expound esoteric doctrines found in the text, Haldane provides thorough explanation of the Epistle coupled with practical application.

• Commentary on Romans, I-II Corinthians, Galatians and I-II Thessalonians - This is McGarvey's Complete Work on these books of the New Testament. Please note that this module is in a SwordSearcher Book Format instead of a SwordSearcher Commentary Format. When unZIPped, this module is over 1 MB in size.​

• Studies In Galatians by R.C. Bell - This book contains Twenty (20) Bible Study Lessons by R. C. Bell (1877-1964). Each Lesson is followed by a set of Questions pertaining to that Lesson. These Adult bible Study Lessons can also be used with High School and Young Adults. Not a comprehensive commentary, but definitely a good book to have when studying the Book of Galatians. Makes a nice devotional study when engaged in a personal study of Galatians.​

• EPHESIAN STUDIES: EXPOSITORY READINGS ON THE EPISTLE OF PAUL TO THE EPHESIANS BY HANDLEY C.G. MOULE, D.D., LORD BISHOP OF DURAM - (c)1902 by H.C.G. Moule. TAB: "EphMoule" -- ZIPped: 327 KB. -- unZIPped: 629 KB.
  • Verse by Verse Commentary on the Book of Ephesians - A simple and concise verse by verse examination of Ephesians by Alan Turner, who created this simple but instructive commentary in the course of his bible studies. Had to share with you because it is a great scriptural study of Ephesians. You can edit it if you desire and/or add more notes to this verse by verse study of Ephesians. I will release an expanded version by adding some of my own notes to make it better, so watch for the next version if you're interested.​

• Studies In The Book of Philippians by R.C. Bell - This Booklet contains Twelve(12) Adult Bible Study Lessons on the Book of Philippians. There are Nine(9) Bible Study Questions at the end of each Lesson. 108 Questions in all. These lessons are great for Class use and for personal or individual Bible Study. This book by R.C. Bell (1877-1964) was copyright 1956 by Firm Foundations Publishing, but the Copyright was not renewed. Since then, the publisher has gone out of business. Gravel Hill Church of Christ since then, has published it in .PDF Format. Bradley Cobb of the Cobb Publishing Group has converted it to e-Sword format and it is available on the biblesupport.com website. I have now converted it for use with the SwordSearcher program​

• STUDIES IN PHILIPPIANS - (c)1900 by Handley C.G. Moule, D.D., Lord Bishop of Durham. This is a very good Expository Examination of Phillips by Moule. This module contains Thirteen (13) Chapters on Philippians.
    TAB: "PHIMoule" -- ZIPped: 214 KB -- unZIPped: 481 KB.​

• Messages From The Epistle To The Hebrews - (c)1909 By Handley C.G. Moule, D.D. This Module contains Thirteen Chapters in this detailed examination of the Book of Hebrews. TAB Name: "HebMoule" --- ZIPped: 126 kb --- unZIPped: 365 kb.​

• Exposition of Hebrews by F.B. Meyer - In this extensive commentary on the Book of Hebrews, Fredrick Brotherton Meyer draws attention to many spiritual lessons to be found in a study of Christ, our Great High Priest. This SwordSearcher module has Thirty-Five Chapters. TAB Name: HebMeyer -- ZIPped: 348kb - unZIPped: 692kb.​

• 59 Sermon Outlines on First Peter - Nice collection of "dozens" of sermons based on the book of 1st Peter. These ready to use outlines on the Book of First Peter meet the following criteria: 1. They are Simple 2. They are Safe 3. They are Scriptural. This is a collection of 59 sermons that I have collected since my days at Lipscomb University beginning in 1971. Many are from Tom Holland who taught Bible at Lipscomb after I graduated and moved on...​

• Overcomers by Milo Hadwin - Series of 23 Gospel Sermons on Revelation - preached by Milo Hadwin in 1960. These sermons feature an extensive expository examination of every chapter in the Book of Revelation. Hadwin does not speculate concerning hard to understand passages in Revelation. He uses reason and a thorough examination of the Old and New Testament to help understand the true meaning of those difficult sections of Revelation. This is collection of sermons that will shed scriptural light on Christ and His Second Coming. Here is a list of the sermons included:​

• Vision of the Ages by B.W. Johnson - Complete commentary on Revelation. This is perhaps the best historical commentary on the Book of Revelation. It is written by B.W. Johnson who is the author of Johnson's People's New Testament.

Mark​

ishaknatan

Beta Tester
Are these good articles copyrighted . . .

C.r.a.i.g

122 Sermons on the Song of Solomon? 😲
I downloaded the Questions and Sunday School one. I almost download the Arthur Pink one on the four gospels.

THE PROPHET EZEKIEL - Arno C. Gaebelein - That One I might have. But it was too complicated for me.​

The last module that I downloaded was The Way of life dictionary. So I'm not sure if I remember how to do it, but can probably figure it out. Otherwise, what is the

"EXPOSITOR'S DICTIONARY OF TEXTS" by William Robertson Nicoll.? I might get that one, but not sure what it is. Thank You.​

djmarko53

You can get a better idea of what they are by looking them up on my website.
Click on the link below my. Name. When my site opens on the main page just
Click on any of the dark blue bars. The one for commentaries is at the top. Or
You can use the modules pull down menu on the menu bar at the top of any page.

Mark

Last edited:

C.r.a.i.g

You can get a better idea of what they are by looking them up on my website.
Click on the link below my. Name. When my site opens on the main page just
Click on any of the dark blue bars. The one for commentaries is at the top. Or
You can use the modules pull down menu on the menu bar at the top of any page.

Mark
Thanks! Going to check out your website after work. I downloaded the picture module. It's been awhile since I used a module and I can't remember much about them; as far as loading them and their name. Here is a picture of a file and I'm wondering if this is the module to load? Thank You.
file sword.png

djmarko53

You must unzip both the subdirectory and the commentary file to your Sword Searcher users subdirectory. There are pictures and information in the commentary that it must access that's in that subdirectory. So you must unzip both to your swordsearcher users subdirectory. That way swordsearcher will be able to find the necessary information that the commentary file is looking for.

Anytime you notice in a zip file that there is an "Assets" subdirectory with the same name (almost) as a commentary or book module, that means both must be placed (unzipped) to the Sword Searcher Users subdirectory. Much of the data, images, and/or information for the EMZQ-NT cmty module resides in its respective "EMZQT-Assets" subdirectory.

And, of course, Sword Searcher will then generate the tab "EMZQ-NT" upon startup. Have fun and enjoy!!

Mark

Last edited:

C.r.a.i.g

You must unzip both the subdirectory and the commentary file to your Sword Searcher users subdirectory. There are pictures and information in the commentary that it must access that's in that subdirectory. So you must unzip both to your swordsearcher users subdirectory. That way swordsearcher will be able to find the necessary information that the commentary file is looking for.

Anytime you notice in a zip file that there is an "Assets" subdirectory with the same name (almost) as a commentary or book module, that means both must be placed (unzipped) to the Sword Searcher Users subdirectory. Much of the data, images, and/or information for the EMZQ-NT cmty module resides in its respective "EMZQT-Assets" subdirectory.

And, of course, Sword Searcher will then generate the tab "EMZQ-NT" upon startup. Have fun and enjoy!!

Mark
I couldn't find a users subdirectory, so I just extracted the files to the module folder? Did I do good? I'm trying to find the new images in Sword Searcher and looked under the images tab, but couldn't find them. So I'm wondering what to do next? thank you.

djmarko53

The images are in the subdirectory. There are over 1,000 .png images.
You view them in the EMZQ-NT module. You can drag one wth your mouse and drop it into your open word processor, where you can resize it for printing as a handout for sunday school etc... Each item in the pull down menu will display a set of approximately 65 to 200 questions followed by about 6+ graphic images. Each image will be something like fill-in-the-blank tests, coloring page, word search puzzle, cross word puzzle. If you have MS WORD make sure it is open, then drag any of the images and/or puzzles, And drop it into WORD or a similar Word Processor. Obviously, you can also copy any of the questions to the Windows clipboard and paste into your Word Processor. Its a dream come true for a Sunday School teacher or even a parent who is home schooling his/her kid(s)....

You can open the EMZQ-NT-Assets subdirectory in the Windows File Explorer. It will display all of the .PNG image files, or rather, a list of each file's image in the Window Explorer. That subdirectory is just a container for all the image files.

For further info, see the description for the module on my site.

Mark

Last edited:

C.r.a.i.g

I have trouble finding the module. Extracted the module and put it in the Sword module folder. Then I looked for it under the user tab in Sword. Sorry it's been so long since I tried to use a module and I can't remember. Here i
user module.png
s a picture where I tried looking for it.

djmarko53

C.r.a.i.g,

Note: You will also need to tell SwordSearcher what module set(s) you want
to assign the module to. That way, when you run SwordSearcher with a
particular module set loaded, the module will show up when the module set
it is attached to is loaded. Don't know what is going on in your system, but
make
sure you that you have attached the module to the module set you are
trying
to use in SwordSearcher.

Did you look for the module via the "Book" panel or the "Commentary" panel"?

After you have made sure that the module is assigned to the module set you are
loading in SwordSearcher, make sure you click on the "commentary" tab and the
module's tab should show itself, provided it is extracted to the same subdirectory
as all your other SS modules.....

Johnny NL was my beta tester on this one. I can assure you it works as intended.
I created this module as an effective tool to aid Sunday School teachers and Bible
school teachers.

Simply drag and drop any of the tests, quizzes or puzzles directly into WORD for
entertaining and instructional purposes and as an aid in Sunday School studies.

Mark

Last edited:

djmarko53

C.r.a.i.g,

Below is the Link for a New Module UPDATE (Wednesday 8/11/21):

• Day By Day - 7 Volume Devotional Commentary by F.B. Meyer
    This features the text of the original work by Meyer, plus thousands of Adult
    Bible Study Questions
    for each book of the Bible
    . Updated 8/11/21 and now
    includes Extensive Adult Questions for Genesis thru Titus
    Please note that the New Testament is still being revised.
    The Books of Genesis to Titus are now complete.
    Current Filesizes are: ZIPped: 2.34 MB -- unZIPped: 3.11 MB
    TAB Name: "DayByDay" -- Module Name: "DayByDay.ss5book"
CLICK ON THE LINK ABOVE TO DOWNLOAD

Mark

C.r.a.i.g

C.r.a.i.g,

to assign the module to. That way, when you run SwordSearcher with a

particular module set loaded, the module will show up when the module set
it is attached to is loaded. Don't know what is going on in your system, but
make
sure you that you have attached the module to the module set you are
trying
to use in SwordSearcher.

Did you look for the module via the "Book" panel or the "Commentary" panel"?

After you have made sure that the module is assigned to the module set you are
loading in SwordSearcher, make sure you click on the "commentary" tab and the
module's tab should show itself, provided it is extracted to the same subdirectory
as all your other SS modules.....

Johnny NL was my beta tester on this one. I can assure you it works as intended.
I created this module as an effective tool to aid Sunday School teachers and Bible
school teachers.

Simply drag and drop any of the tests, quizzes or puzzles directly into WORD for
entertaining and instructional purposes and as an aid in Sunday School studies.

Mark

ok I got it. "
to assign the module to. " -
that helped - I was searching without loading. Then when I searched I was typing something else like " pictures instead of EMZQ- Once I searched EMZQ in the module tab and then add module. It was then found. thanks for the help

djmarko53

Your are quite welcome. Glad to help

Below is the Link for a New Module UPDATE (Thursday 8/12/21):

• Day By Day - 7 Volume Devotional Commentary by F.B. Meyer
    This features the text of the original work by Meyer, plus thousands of Adult
    Bible Study Questions
    for each book of the Bible
    . Updated 8/12/21 and now
    includes Extensive Adult Questions for Genesis thru Second Peter
    Please note that the New Testament is still being revised.
    The Books of Genesis to Second Peter are now complete.
    Current Filesizes are: ZIPped: 2.31 MB -- unZIPped: 3.23 MB
    TAB Name: "DayByDay" -- Module Name: "DayByDay.ss5book"
CLICK ON THE LINK ABOVE TO DOWNLOAD

Mark

djmarko53

Here is another idea for a module below:

Spugeon's Daily Devotional Commentary

I have only added the month of January for now.
When it is complete I will POST a message to that effect.

I have attached to this message what I have done so far.
The TAB Name is "SpurgDevo"

I have "ALL" the works of Spurgeon. If interested, will be
Glad to create module(s) of his many works. If Spurgeon
Wrote it, I probably have it...

Mark

Attachments

• SpurgDevo.zip
    151.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

C.r.a.i.g

i don't know if this will help, but the PowerBible Cd has Morning and Evening module. So I just opened the module in a text file. So here is the text file.

Attachments

• Morning and Evening Text file.txt
    1.4 MB · Views: 19

Johnny NL

SS8 already has a Spurgeon morning/evening module/audio.: SMEA

Status
Not open for further replies.