SwordSearcher 5.3.1 icons and Linux

garymax

SwordSearcher has worked well under Wine and Crossover Linux. With this latest edition--5.3.1.3--some of the icons for forward and back movement and toggle buttons are all represented as simple black boxes.

Fortunately, the explanatory text pops up when a cursor is moved over them but the icons looked great under 5.2.1.

Though not officially supported does anyone have any idea or suggestions on how to go about fixing this?

Thanks,

Gary

I'm using Crossover Linux 6.20 so I will have to either revert to SwordSearcher 5.2.1 or wait until the next edition of Crossover Linux.

Hmm. Looks like SS 5.3 has hit up against a bug in WINE. Does the program still "work" on Linux even though the icons don't display correctly?

When WINE is patched to correct this issue, please do update us in this thread. Thanks!

Hmm. Looks like SS 5.3 has hit up against a bug in WINE. Does the program still "work" on Linux even though the icons don't display correctly?

It works perfectly fine. To be honest I was just ignoring it because it did not have any effect on the operation of the program.

I'm using Crossover Linux 6.20 so I will have to either revert to SwordSearcher 5.2.1 or wait until the next edition of Crossover Linux.

Gary, since you have paid to use Crossover Linux, perhaps you should send what you are seeing with this error to CodeWeavers.

err: x11drv:X11DRV_CreateBitmap Trying to make bitmap with planes=1, bpp=32

I noticed in the bug report that someone from CodeWeavers actually confirmed this was a bug. I do not know why it has not been resolved yet, unless the fix is worse than the original bug.

Mike,

Haven't reported it since SwordSearcher is not officially supported by Crossover Linux. My understanding is that only the apps that Codeweavers guarantees to work get fixed in the event of a bug.

Maybe not? Please advise.

Will keep you posted. I can verify that this does NOT affect the operation of the application seeing as the tool tips pop up when the cursor is over the icons.

Jesus is Lord...

I have a patch and am compiling it right now I will let you know if it works.

Well the icons went from solid black to solid white to a nice light blue. At least with the blue you can make out the icons. It looks like the patch has been added to version 1 rc2 of wine, so we will see what it looks like when the final version comes out. Here is a link to a screen shot with the blue icons.

http://tasukuemoto.blogspot.com/

Click on the image to enlarge it.

Sorry to report that Crossover Linux 7.0.0 does not fix the problem as noted in previous posts. Apparently, the bug was overlooked in this version...

Sorry to report that Crossover Linux 7.0.0 does not fix the problem as noted in previous posts. Apparently, the bug was overlooked in this version...

Don't give up hope just yet, v1.0 of wine was just released on the 17th. I'm running wine-1.0-rc2 and it is working somewhat as seen in the screen shot I posted previously. I'm sure the next release of Crossover will have a version of wine with the fix in it. If I remember correctly, rc1 was not working correctly either so Codeweavers is most likely using the last stable version of wine. Actually Wine 1.0 is considered the first stable release, the others for the past 15 years have only been betas.

Back