SwordSearcher 6.2 Release Announcement

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
SwordSearcher version 6.2 is now available!

This release adds one of the largest commentaries ever published: The Biblical Illustrator; also nine books by Lewis Sperry Chafer, James Gray's commentary, Figures of Speech Used in the Bible, a new system called StudyClick™ that lets you instantly turn any word on the screen into a link for further study (no typing!), optical zoom, and lots more!

Current users will find upgrade details here. (Scroll down a bit on that page for the Upgrade FAQ for information on how/what to upgrade depending on what you have.)

The following is a summary of what's new in version 6.2 (since 6.1). A detailed list of revisions from each release since 4.0 is available here.

What's new in 6.2:

Library Additions:

• The Biblical Illustrator [commentary: BibIllus] (56 volume commentary compiled by J. Exell.)
  • James Gray's Concise Bible Commentary [commentary: Gray]
  • Essential Works of Lewis Sperry Chafer [book: LSChafer]
    • The Kingdom in History and Prophecy
    • Salvation: A Clear Doctrinal Analysis
    • He that is Spiritual
    • True Evangelism: Winning Souls by Prayer
    • Satan: His Motive and Methods
    • Grace: The Glorious Theme
    • Major Bible Themes
    • The Ephesian Letter Doctrinally Considered
    • The Crowns of the Lord Jesus Christ
  • Figures of Speech Used in the Bible [book: FigSpeech] (E.W. Bullinger)
  • Spanish Reina-Valera with Strong's Links [Bible: SRVSL]
Library Updates:

• Improved Spanish Reina-Valera [SRV] versification issues and added italics for translator-supplied words.
Program:

• New! StudyClick
    SwordSearcher's new StudyClick system makes it even faster to do searches and lookups while you are reading text. Just hold down the CTRL key while you move the mouse over words in the Bible, Book, or Commentary panels, and instantly the word under the mouse pointer becomes a link. Click the link to do a search, look up the word in a dictionary, or other actions.
    • Default options:
      • As you hold down CTRL and move the mouse pointer over words, a pre-view pop-up shows the first and last occurrence in the Bible for the word. Clicking the word performs a normal Bible word search.
      • If you hold down CTRL and ALT at the same time, you can click the word to open the Topic Guide for the word.
    • You can choose what happens when you use StudyClick in File, Preferences, StudyClick Options. Options include favorite dictionary lookups, full library search, and more.
    • Choose a secondary action if you hold CTRL and ALT at the same time.
    • Choose what happens when you CTRL+click a verse link.
  • New and Enhanced: "Drag and Drop" support:
    You can "drag" text into SwordSearcher from other applications (and from within SwordSearcher itself) and "drop" it into controls to perform certain actions in SwordSearcher.
    • Go To Verse box: Dropping text here will open the first recognizable verse reference from the dropped text.
    • Quick Bible Search box: Dropping text here will perform a quick Bible search for the dropped text.
    • Commentary entry selector: Dropping text here will go to the first recognizable verse from the dropped text.
    • For the Copy Verses, Print Verses, Export Verses to File, and Display Verses dialogs: Dropping text in the edit box will automatically parse all recognizable verses from the dropped text and enter them into the box.
    • Dragging text to one of the search buttons on the main toolbar (Bible, Library, Topic Guide, ESI, and Scan Text buttons) will open the associated window and pre-fill with the dropped text.
    • Dragging text into the Find Related Verses text entry box will perform the search on all recognizable verses in the dropped text.
  • Added "Optical Zoom" support in text panels.
    • There is now a Zoom setting on the bottom-left of the main window to control zooming in all text panels.
    • Holding down CTRL while rolling the mouse wheel over a panel temporarily zooms in and out on the text.
    • Zoom can also be selected on the main View menu and replaces the old "Increase/Decrease font sizes" feature.
    • Ctrl+Alt+0 (zero) resets all zoom levels to 100%.
  • Enhanced touch-based input support for touch monitors and Windows 7 Tablet/Slate PCs.
  • User interface options added to improve appearance and control size for touch input and visual impairment. (File, Preferences, Misc. Options, Enhancements for Touch Input and Visual Impairment.)
  • Layout improvements:
    • Several improvements to main toolbar layout when resizing the main window and restoring previous toolbar configurations.
    • Added option "Include main window and toolbar positions in custom layouts" (File, Preferences, Layout Options.) On by default. Includes the location and size of the main window and main toolbar configuration in custom layouts. (This option will affect the next save of your custom layout, not previously-saved layouts.) This is especially handy when using complex "undocked" layouts.
  • Improved mouse text selection in the Bible panel so that margin content no longer appears highlighted as verse text is selected.
  • Improved support for high-DPI settings in Windows.
  • Added "Table of Contents Tool" shortcut to the Book panel right-click popup menu. Opens the Table of Contents tool and scrolls to the current entry from the book panel. This is useful as an alternative to using the Book panel entry selector.
  • Added selectable user preference to for Verse Widget size (File, Preferences, Verse Widgets, Widget Size).
  • New main program icon.
  • Various other fixes, optimizations, and improvements.

The new enhancements for "Windows 7 tablet/slates", are they only for Windows 7 or can they be used on a Tablet PC running Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005?

The new enhancements for "Windows 7 tablet/slates", are they only for Windows 7 or can they be used on a Tablet PC running Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005?

I see no reason why you couldn't run SwordSearcher on a Windows XP Tablet PC. However, optimal touch response is based on processing messages from the operating system that were added in Windows 7. Touch features like panning won't appear in Windows XP.

Congratulations Brandon on this latest great release.

The StudyClick feature is very, very helpful!

Glad this feature can be customized, too. Now, I can look up the Webster 1828 Dictionary definition of a word with just a click! It speeds up Bible reading and understanding.

Nice reading, but I'm waiting for the video. I could hear you reading this to me, Brandon!

Nice reading, but I'm waiting for the video. I could hear you reading this to me, Brandon!

It's on my to-do list. :)

Congratulations Brandon!

Ruthlyn

Thanks Brandon got my Version 6.2 to day and up and running.

Hey Brandon,

I know I still need to order the CD, but i did upgrade from 6.1.1 to 6.2 and the Study Click is just too cool:) Your a genius...........:cool: Will pour through the other stuff once I order the CD.

Lord bless your faithfulness and unselfishness so that all of us benefit. Your a blessing!

Wes

Back