SwordSearcher on Linux

MichaelRankin

I installed SwordSearcher 5 Delux Edition on my Linux box today and am very happy to say that it installed and ran perfectly. It even created a folder in my home directory instead of in the fake drive_c directory called "SwordSearcher User Modules", which impressed me. The unistall for SS 4.8.1.2 also went perfectly, leaving nothing behind.

The only thing left to do is to change the cd to say "Bible Study Software for Linux", which may run on Windows systems under the right conditions.

Re: SwordSearcher 5 on Linux

The only thing left to do is to change the cd to say "Bible Study Software for Linux", which may run on Windows systems under the right conditions.

Hardy-har-har... Youse a funny man!

I hope if you had any user created mods you converted them over. Blessings!

:)

For the benefit of future searchers, could you describe your setup -- linux distro, WINE version, etc -- that works for you?

:)

For the benefit of future searchers, could you describe your setup -- linux distro, WINE version, etc -- that works for you?

Sure, but I positive that this will run on any newer version of Linux with a recent version of Wine.

I'm runing PCLinuxOS 0.93a with Wine 0.9.23

Great news!! I have 4.8 installed on my Linux notebook and was wondering if I should upgrade. Thanks for the good report.

Distro is currently Ubuntu Edgy Eft (6.10) GNOME/Beryl/Emerald. Wine version 0.9.31. IBM T40 notebook. SS4.8 works perfectly.

Previously have run SwordSearcher 4.8 (and I think 4.6) on Ubuntu Dapper Drake. GNOME(Minimize window does not work in GNOME for some reason); KDE; Enlightenment e17; fluxbox; Xcfe.

Thanks Mr. Staggs for a great product.

Danny Luker

Great news!! I have 4.8 installed on my Linux notebook and was wondering if I should upgrade. Thanks for the good report.

Danny Luker

If you do decide to upgrade you will not have any trouble with the install in Linux. The latest version installed flawlessly.

I'm running PCLinuxOS 2007 with wine 9.38, ss4 works great, but ss5 I get a 'mail bug report', window pop up and ss5 won't launch.

I'm running PCLinuxOS 2007 with wine 9.38, ss4 works great, but ss5 I get a 'mail bug report', window pop up and ss5 won't launch.

Since I don't have Linux installed at the moment, I can't really provide support. But it does occur to me that it's possibly a WINE version issue. Do you have the latest WINE installed?

Yes, version 9.38 is the latest version, as I mentioned it does run ss4 nicely, I have another box so I will try Ubuntu with Wine, or Ubuntu CE and see how that goes, I may just have to replace the O/S on my laptop.

And thank you for this wonderful electronic way to study about our Lord.

I downloaded the trial Codeweavers v6 and ss5 installed and works like a charm now on PCLinuxOS 2007.

Thanks again for this wonderful software.

Great news -- thanks!

Hey y'all! Glad to see a forum here for this great program!

I am running the new Ubuntu 8.04 and had no problem installing or running swordsearcher under wine 1.0. It ran itself in both installing and running, no configuration necessary. Works even better under Linux if that is possible!

Brandon does such a great job it will probably run under Mac too! LOL

I have been running Sword Searcher on various linux versions/distributions for a number of years with various versions of crossover. Its been great!

Mark

Totally windoze free here now (using Wine for the few little proprietary apps I need for work).

I was releaved that SS installed with no problem on Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.2.2 and I was able to adjust colors, layout and printing with ease. I would have even kept Windoze to keep using SS, but I didn't need to thanks to Brandon's brilliant coding - it works on just about any OS without a glitch, thanks.

I did need to drop the symbols font into my Wine configuration (read about that in the forum here) and that took care of the Greek and Hebrew.

Thanks,
Scott

Totally windoze free here now (using Wine for the few little proprietary apps I need for work).

I was releaved that SS installed with no problem on Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.2.2 and I was able to adjust colors, layout and printing with ease. I would have even kept Windoze to keep using SS, but I didn't need to thanks to Brandon's brilliant coding - it works on just about any OS without a glitch, thanks.

I did need to drop the symbols font into my Wine configuration (read about that in the forum here) and that took care of the Greek and Hebrew.

Thanks,
Scott

I had trouble editing personal notes and topics. Does that work for you?

Thanks.

Bill, that has never worked for me either.

I don't the the WINE implementation of the DHTML edit control is complete.

WINE is lacking when it comes to the dhtml edit controls - if using the notes is an important feature for you in SS, you could try running it in a virtual machine, should work just fine, but that's a lot of resources being used up, just to take notes.

I have, for a long while, kept all my notes in a text based system, so they can easily be used, edited, scripted, etc., so this isn't a big issue for me... i keep my notes in plain text, i can link the text files to 'sections' in Open Office apps, etc, print index cards, etc, export them to my archos for portable reading, or even convert the text to speech to listen to them on the go

the notes features are awesome in SS, but I just don't use them, so I didn't notice it didn't work well in linux, but the VM would take care of that if it's an important feature fo ryou, hope that helps in some way,

-Scott

Consider installing virtual machines on your Linux box instead of using wine.

Boot Linux then start the virtual machine and install a windows image and any other windows apps there.

Vm's allows you to run your Linux box and windows at the same time.

Windows will not know it is running in a virtual world and it will run as though it has access to the hardware layer.

So your nic card, dvd player, usb buses etc. should all work fine.

The cool thing is if windows gets a virus, worm, or Trojan horse, it wont infect your Linux box.

Also, if windows crashes, stalls, has page errors ect.. just reboot your virtual machine. Linux will still be running

Oh yea,many virtual players are open source and free to install

Hope this helps someone

For info about virtual machines see this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines

paul

Back