Using SwordSearcher in your Bible Study

Rebekah Staggs

Staff member
Its been very quiet here lately so I thought I might suggest a topic.

When we meet people who are unfamilar with Bible Software we are often asked, "What does your program do and how would it help me in my Bible study?"

What would you say?

How do you use SwordSearcher to aid you in your study of the Bible?

I have tried to publicize SwordSearcher in many ways simply because I believe it will help others who want to understand God's Word. Unfortunately too many Christians are very much "in the world" and follow the ways of the world rather than the ways of God.

What has SwordSeacher got to say about that ?

Isa 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
Eze 18:25 Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? are not your ways unequal?
Eze 18:29 Yet saith the house of Israel, The way of the Lord is not equal. O house of Israel, are not my ways equal? are not your ways unequal?
Eze 20:44 And ye shall know that I am the LORD, when I have wrought with you for my name's sake, not according to your wicked ways, nor according to your corrupt doings, O ye house of Israel, saith the Lord GOD.
Zec 1:6 But my words and my statutes, which I commanded my servants the prophets, did they not take hold of your fathers? and they returned and said, Like as the LORD of hosts thought to do unto us, according to our ways, and according to our doings, so hath he dealt with us.

The average person is more concerned with getting free software rather than getting the best. It is all rather depressing but then again, Christians are not the best adverts for Christianity. The unsaved think they can repent on their death bed (and they can), but I wouldn't recommend it. There is too much at stake. Better repent now. As SwordSearcher says, "(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)" [2Co 6:2]

Christians are unclear about the difference between SALVATION and REWARD and vigorously defend the doctrine of not working for their salvation (which is good) but in addition to salvation, SwordSearcher clearly teaches the Doctrine of Reward.

SwordSearcher says, "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." [Joh 5:39]

So go to it folks. Search the scriptures for the Doctrine of REWARD.

A Rider

Just in case anyone needs a clue as to where to start looking for the Doctrine of Rewards, here are a couple of clues.

http://www.faithalone.org/news/y1994/94sep1.html

http://www.faithalone.org/news/y1994/94nov1.html

God bless

I have tried to publicize SwordSearcher in many ways simply because I believe it will help others who want to understand God's Word. Unfortunately too many Christians are very much "in the world" and follow the ways of the world rather than the ways of God.

What has SwordSeacher got to say about that ?

Lance, I appreciate the thought you put into this post. And sorry if it seems like I'm trolling into stale threads. Just was exploring and getting used to the new format of the forum, and reading through posts.

However, might I suggest that it would be far better to say the Bible says rather than SwordSearcher?

I think I understand you are doing that with respect to the question, but I think your answer does dis-service to the Word, and I believe that is not your intent.

The average person is more concerned with getting free software rather than getting the best. It is all rather depressing but then again, Christians are not the best adverts for Christianity. The unsaved think they can repent on their death bed (and they can), but I wouldn't recommend it. There is too much at stake. Better repent now.

This is an excellent point. I can't remember the name of the preacher or the source from where this illustration arises, but the story goes of a young man who rather enjoyed the libertine lifestyle was somehow in the House of God to hear a preacher of some repute. The message impressed him somewhat -- though he didn't realize that was the Holy Ghost trying to convict him.

So after the service he approached the preacher, and asked with sincere interest, "Is it true that I can repent on my deathbed?"

"Yes," the wisened man of God replied.

"Excellent!," said the libertine. "Then that is what I shall do," and with a healthy smile and a hearty handshake he proceeded to turn and leave.

"Young man," the pastor called after him, stopping the rebel. He turned to face the preacher.

"Yes?"

"There is one thing I would like to now ask you."

"Certainly."

"Do you know the day and hour you will meet death?"

This question slowly removed the smile from his face, and began to cause doubt to well up within. Somewhat haltingly, as the realization of that one fact fell full force on him, he replied, "No."

"Well, then," said the man of God, "you might want to add that point into the equation, with your eating, drinking, and merry making..."

When we meet people who are unfamilar with Bible Software we are often asked, "What does your program do and how would it help me in my Bible study?"

What would you say?

I use SS to prepare ALL my sermons, lessons, devotions, funeral messages ~ everything ~ and with my own personal study of the Word.

I don't know if I could say how I use it, since it has become an indispensible part of my study habits.

What would you say?

I use SS in my daily Bible reading (which isn't always the scheduled reading, but is always edifying); for topical study; to find those verses that are 'on the tip of my tongue' but that I can't quite remember; to keep track of quotes, tracts, etc.; and lately to study the attributes of God. My mom has had dementia for several years and as we (Dad and I - mostly Dad) deal with her increasingly bazaar behavior and poor quality of life, I've been asking God some hard questions. I was getting pretty depressed until I started doing a study about His presence, mercy, goodness, graciousness, kindness, etc. I started putting what I'm finding in a user book. It's been very helpful to my attitude and peace of mind. It puts my focus on God instead of on circumstances.

I use SS in my daily Bible reading (which isn't always the scheduled reading, but is always edifying); for topical study; to find those verses that are 'on the tip of my tongue' but that I can't quite remember; to keep track of quotes, tracts, etc.; and lately to study the attributes of God. My mom has had dementia for several years and as we (Dad and I - mostly Dad) deal with her increasingly bazaar behavior and poor quality of life, I've been asking God some hard questions. I was getting pretty depressed until I started doing a study about His presence, mercy, goodness, graciousness, kindness, etc. I started putting what I'm finding in a user book. It's been very helpful to my attitude and peace of mind. It puts my focus on God instead of on circumstances.

Keeping your Spir. journal within SS sounds like a great idea. Thanks for sharing it.

I pastor a small country church.. I use Sword Searcher for all studying.

It is so much easier to click, copy, and paste to Word.
It makes time you spend more productive. Instead of flipping from this book to that one and trying to keep it all open to what you need.
Sword Searcher will always be what I want to use.

I have quite a library (not bragging trying to make a point) how ever i dont hardly ever crack those book open anymore unless they are not in Sword Searcher.
And the way Brandon is working on it he may have them all before long.

When people ask me what software I use I always tell them about SS.

Have had people purchase it and then brag on how easy it works.

I do have others but many are hard or not conviently workable.

Dale

I pastor a small country church.. I use Sword Searcher for all studying.

It is so much easier to click, copy, and paste to Word.
It makes time you spend more productive. Instead of flipping from this book to that one and trying to keep it all open to what you need.
Sword Searcher will always be what I want to use.

I have quite a library (not bragging trying to make a point) how ever i dont hardly ever crack those book open anymore unless they are not in Sword Searcher.
And the way Brandon is working on it he may have them all before long.

When people ask me what software I use I always tell them about SS.

Have had people purchase it and then brag on how easy it works.

I do have others but many are hard or not conviently workable.

Dale

All excellent points. Thanks for sharing them.

I am involved in several online Bible studies on a chat forum program called Paltalk. In 2001, when I first got on Paltalk, I met a brother (Mark Bold) who told me about this really good Bible software program called SwordSearcher. He said that Brandon Staggs was a good friend of his and he had written this Bible software and encouraged me to download the trial version. I did that--and I got hooked!! I purchased SwordSearcher 4.2 (I think), then bought the upgrade 4.3 CD. Then Way of Life came out with their add-on CD WOLE/THTBU and I purchased that. I admit that I didn't purchase any more upgrades (I d/l the free patches from the SwordSearcher site until I had 4.8 )

I am one of the designated Scripture posters in those online Bible studies on Paltalk. I use SwordSearcher to post. It is so easy to use with the copy/paste. I used to have to select the verses and copy, but with the SS, all I do is right click and "copy John 3:16" and paste to text box--plus you can copy the entire chapter. I love using it!

I also use SS for Sunday School lessons--that's where the WOLE/THTBU module comes in handy. What a wonderful resource.

I am involved in several online Bible studies on a chat forum program called Paltalk. In 2001, when I first got on Paltalk, I met a brother (Mark Bold) who told me about this really good Bible software program called SwordSearcher. He said that Brandon Staggs was a good friend of his and he had written this Bible software and encouraged me to download the trial version. I did that--and I got hooked!! I purchased SwordSearcher 4.2 (I think), then bought the upgrade 4.3 CD. Then Way of Life came out with their add-on CD WOLE/THTBU and I purchased that. I admit that I didn't purchase any more upgrades (I d/l the free patches from the SwordSearcher site until I had 4.8 )

I am one of the designated Scripture posters in those online Bible studies on Paltalk. I use SwordSearcher to post. It is so easy to use with the copy/paste. I used to have to select the verses and copy, but with the SS, all I do is right click and "copy John 3:16" and paste to text box--plus you can copy the entire chapter. I love using it!

I also use SS for Sunday School lessons--that's where the WOLE/THTBU module comes in handy. What a wonderful resource.

Does the ctrl-alt-v feature work in 4.8 or is that only in 5? I forget. But if it works in 4.x, then you could be looking at the paltalk or whatever, use that feature, it will take you to the program, then you type in the verse(s) you want copied, and hit enter, and it will automatically paste it into whatever other program (word proc., etc.) you were looking at.

Blessings!

Does the ctrl-alt-v feature work in 4.8 or is that only in 5? I forget. But if it works in 4.x, then you could be looking at the paltalk or whatever, use that feature, it will take you to the program, then you type in the verse(s) you want copied, and hit enter, and it will automatically paste it into whatever other program (word proc., etc.) you were looking at.

Blessings!
I've never used the ctrl-alt-v in the 4.8--I forgot what it does. I don't have the 5 yet--we are going to purchase that tomorrow or the next day along with the WOLE/THTBU add on for the SS 5. I hope the 5 is just as easy to use as the 4.8.

All I do in Paltalk is right click on the verse and "copy" then I go to the text box in the Paltalk chat room and right click and select "paste". In Paltalk, I can only paste a verse at a time--unless they are short verses--it only allows a certain amount of characters in those text windows.

I've been using the SwordSearcher for almost 6 years and I can honestly say that I wouldn't want to try any other Bible software program. SS has everything I need for Bible study.:)

I've never used the ctrl-alt-v in the 4.8--I forgot what it does. I don't have the 5 yet--we are going to purchase that tomorrow or the next day along with the WOLE/THTBU add on for the SS 5. I hope the 5 is just as easy to use as the 4.8.

All I do in Paltalk is right click on the verse and "copy" then I go to the text box in the Paltalk chat room and right click and select "paste". In Paltalk, I can only paste a verse at a time--unless they are short verses--it only allows a certain amount of characters in those text windows.

I've been using the SwordSearcher for almost 6 years and I can honestly say that I wouldn't want to try any other Bible software program. SS has everything I need for Bible study.:)

ctrl-alt-v works in 5. I think you'll come to like it, when you know the verse(s) you want to cut & paste.

I just received SwordSearcher 5 in the mail--it's installed and I am now playing around with it. I already love it. I also received the Daily Bible and Prayer 2 CD--would like to use that on our church website, for our Prayer Request page. I still have SwordSearcher 4.8 on my PC--I think I will keep that around for awhile.

I just received SwordSearcher 5 in the mail--it's installed and I am now playing around with it. I already love it. I also received the Daily Bible and Prayer 2 CD--would like to use that on our church website, for our Prayer Request page. I still have SwordSearcher 4.8 on my PC--I think I will keep that around for awhile.

Keep in mind that neither SwordSearcher or Daily Bible and Prayer are website applications. There isn't any way to make them work "on a website" -- they are designed only for desktop computer application use.

I may have misunderstood your post, but I wanted to post this for clarity.

Keep in mind that neither SwordSearcher or Daily Bible and Prayer are website applications. There isn't any way to make them work "on a website" -- they are designed only for desktop computer application use.

I may have misunderstood your post, but I wanted to post this for clarity.
I probably didn't make myself clear--sorry.

We post a daily Bible reading (Read the Bible through in a year) on our church website. I plan on using that program to create that Bible reading and also to create a Prayer request list to post on the website. We have been using SwordSearcher for posting Scripture on the website. I've been using SwordSearcher for almost 5 years now and I love it. Great study tool! The Daily Bible and Prayer program was my husband's idea to purchase along with the SwordSearcher -- glad he did!

We post a daily Bible reading (Read the Bible through in a year) on our church website. I plan on using that program to create that Bible reading and also to create a Prayer request list to post on the website. We have been using SwordSearcher for posting Scripture on the website. I've been using SwordSearcher for almost 5 years now and I love it. Great study tool! The Daily Bible and Prayer program was my husband's idea to purchase along with the SwordSearcher -- glad he did!

Aha! Now I understand. Thanks for your comments!

I am new to this forum, Have been using Sword Searcher for about 4 years. Blessings, Doug Renz

I?ve bought several scripture study programs, but SwordSearcher is by far the best. All you need to do is look up any scripture, and when you do, instantly one or more scripture commentaries will have something to say about it. Not only that but you can look up words in the dictionary section to see what some secular and biblical scholars have said what that word means. You can write your own thoughts too. All these options and books in one place for only $50, I think that is amazing!

I have been a daily user of one single Bible program for many years. From time to time I tried various other programs, but never made the move until I tried SS. After one hour of using SS, I knew I was going to make a permanent move! I instantly appreciated the tabs...IT JUST MAKES SENSE to display all the resources on tabs rather than hiding them behind numerous drop-down menus. I can also greatly appreciate the unique content that was obviously created by Bible believers; it was so refreshing to see included such authors as Larkin, Dr. Holland, and Philip Mauro.
My most common use of SS is to use it to search a particular word, and then observe EVERY usage of that word, allowing the context to determine the meaning of the word. For me, this gives so much more enlightenment than a slavish adherance to a lexicon or dictionary. I do appreciate the help of lexicons and dictionaries -- don't get me wrong, but the BEST results come with extra effort, "elbow grease", and a speedy search engine from SS! ;)

Hi everyone:
I have enjoyed reading your post in this thread. This is my first days in the SS Forum. I still use SS 4.1 program and have for many years. I am very comfortable with it and it has served me well.

My thanks to Mr. Staggs for a wonderful product that has produced many
bible studies and bible outlines. Some of the newer programs that Mr. Staggs has out sound great but at my age I probably could not master them before my call home. I was born in 1930.

I am looking forward to participating in the forum and hoping to learn much from God's people here. sonny

Back