Using Windows Powertoys with SwordSearcher

wsbones

Beta Tester
Here's a short video demo showing Windows Powertoys working with SwordSearcher (SS).

1. Using the "FancyZones" tool of Powertoys, first create and save a custom template of the screen with the desired layout. The tool comes with several predefined templates which you can modify or create your own. The one I created for SS has 10 locations, some of which overlap. The template allows you to quickly and accurately move a window to any location. It will be sized to fit the location.

2. The video is an example of placing the reading schedule in the lower right corner of the screen using shift-drag and drop, then placing a floating window in the top right predefined location.

3. Most any floating window (there are a few exceptions) can be located in any template position. The templates work with other applications also.

You can get Powertoys from the Windows Store or from this link provided by Microsoft.

There are currently 24 tools in Powertoys to explore. I use maybe 4 or 5. The developers continue to add new tools.

Nice. I use PowerToys just for the Fancy Zones. It bugs me that Windows 10 child windows (Save-as dialog boxes for example) always appear to the side of the screen and never a decent size and shape. So I made a zone in the center; I hold shift, dragging a window to it and that's pretty fast.

The issue is Fancy Zones can't differentiate between parent and child windows. So if I enable the saving of 'last known position', the parent window (google chrome for example) will boot up in that zone meant for the child windows, instead of normally maximized. I haven't complained about this yet, because I have to set up a github account to do so, apparently.

Always on top, file locksmith, and advanced paste is good too.

Nice. I use PowerToys just for the Fancy Zones. It bugs me that Windows 10 child windows (Save-as dialog boxes for example) always appear to the side of the screen and never a decent size and shape. So I made a zone in the center; I hold shift, dragging a window to it and that's pretty fast.

The issue is Fancy Zones can't differentiate between parent and child windows. So if I enable the saving of 'last known position', the parent window (google chrome for example) will boot up in that zone meant for the child windows, instead of normally maximized. I haven't complained about this yet, because I have to set up a github account to do so, apparently.

Always on top, file locksmith, and advanced paste is good too.
I use it mostly for positioning the SS reading schedule, cloned windows, and the editor. Your point is well taken.

Back