Video: Drag and Drop from External Documents into SwordSearcher

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
One of the new/enhanced features in 6.2 is much more extensive drag-and-drop support.

This video demonstrates how to use it.

There are lots of places in SwordSearcher where you can use drag-and-drop. This video shows how to:

• Open a Verse List showing all of the verses referenced in a selection of text in a PDF file.
  • Open the Scan Text for Verse References tool using the same method.
  • Do a quick Bible search with drag-and-drop.
  • Start a Bible study with the Go To Verse box using drag-and-drop.
Note that in just about any entry box in SwordSearcher that expects a verse reference, you can drag a selection of text and drop it there, and SwordSearcher will automatically recognize verse references in the text you are dropping and "type them in" for you.

While the video demonstrates dragging in text from an external document, it also works internally in SwordSearcher as well (although typically StudyClick and the menus would probably be faster in that case).

Hey Brandon,

Reckon I missed this one somewhere............thanks so much for putting out this video showing us how to drag and drop into Bible search, etc. Man this is just to cool! Cannot tell you how much I appreciate this feature and what an aid to help when preparing to study, teach or preach.

Good grief how do you figure this stuff out? This is like when Elisha threw the stick in river and the axe head came to the top and started swimming. Well maybe not, but pretty close for us dummies:)

You guys that have not seen this or are aware have got to check this out.

http://www.swordsearcher.com/video/drag-and-drop-verse-references.htm

Amazing.........may the Lord bless you brother.

Thanks

I love watching Brandon's videos - I always learn something new or see something I forgot about. Thanks, Brandon! :)

I love watching Brandon's videos - I always learn something new or see something I forgot about. Thanks, Brandon! :)

I have to admit I also learned something new. I always right click copy, right click paste, when a simple drag would have done it. Thanks Brandon.

Thanks for all the kind comments about the video!

I can't drag and drop from adobe reader X to the scan tool. It shows a circle with bar (not permitted) when I try that.

I can't drag and drop from adobe reader X to the scan tool. It shows a circle with bar (not permitted) when I try that.

What about other sources? Can you drag and drop from your web browser? It's going to depend on the source material and program. SwordSearcher can only respond to the data that Windows is telling it exists in the drag operation, and that is controlled by the "sending" application. If the source application is identifying it as something other than text, SwordSearcher can't use it.

What about different PDF files? Some files may have permission locks preventing exporting of the text.

What about other sources? Can you drag and drop from your web browser? It's going to depend on the source material and program. SwordSearcher can only respond to the data that Windows is telling it exists in the drag operation, and that is controlled by the "sending" application. If the source application is identifying it as something other than text, SwordSearcher can't use it.

What about different PDF files? Some files may have permission locks preventing exporting of the text.

It's just the pdf's that are not working. I dragged from a pdf that I created but it's not letting me drop it. Maybe Adobe X reader.

Just FYI, I tried dragging and dropping from a regular pdf file and it worked just as expected. My setup is just plain - generic stuff, Windows 7.

Back