Vista and user created modules

Regie

Dear all,

I have two friends who have Vista and it seems that their user created modules are in different folders than where mine are.

I kept trying to bring my user created modules into this new computer and was having a tee-total fit trying to get them to work. My modules are on the internet such that when I or someone gets them we have to do a right click and "save target as" and switch the save as type to "all files" and then add .ss5book or ss5cmty to the file name. If not, then it was a bunch of jibberish in HTML format I reckon.

Anyway, to discover just where my SwordSearcher program wanted user modules put, I just created a bogus named work and saved it. I found out then where SwordSearcher wanted my user created modules put. Since then (thus far) I've had no problems (yet - knock on wood) :) putting them in the right place.

Maybe one of these days I'll get the proper software and a big hard drive for backups. ha. Maybe! I ought to have learned from all this. Time will tell! If money will talk! :)

Am I on the right track you think?

Regie

User modules are stored in the user documents location under a subfolder called "SwordSearcher User Modules". The true file path of this location can certainly vary from computer to computer. It is not a fixed location and is determined by the operating system.

However, when you use the save dialog to download, you should be able to find it in two clicks -- just click the "Documents" location button (maybe "My Documents" on older Windows versions) and then double-click the "SwordSearcher User Modules" folder that will be there. That's where user modules should be downloaded to.

It is a good idea to zip the module files, rather than post them just as plain files. It saves space and also ensures that they aren't saved as gibberish. Of course, this adds an extra step -- they have to be unzipped after download before SwordSearcher can read them.

Back