What display font do you use in SwordSearcher?

Eric

Beta Tester
I'm wondering what fonts others use in SwordSearcher. If anyone would like to chime in and perhaps also attach screenshots, that would be helpful. See File > Preferences and Settings > Fonts and Colors to find out what you're using.
SS8 display font settings.jpg

Seems that maybe way back Tahoma was a default, perhaps now Calibri is. For whatever reason (I don't know if I chose it or if it defaulted to this), my current default is Arial. I definitely want a sans serif font, but I'm finding that the letter spacing sometimes is uneven.

Font size for below samples is 12 pt.

Here's Arial (notice how some letters "scrunch" upon too close to others):
Arial.jpg

Here's Tahoma (same issue):
Tahoma.jpg

Here's Calibri (this font seems to take up too much space horizontally, i.e., the font face seems small to me compared to the other two, and the distance taken up by the whitespace between words seems excessive; Calibri is not as dark either, so it's harder for me to see; the leading (distance between lines of text) also seems to be more with Calibri, so it takes up more screen real estate):
Calibri.jpg

Originally the default was Tahoma (back in the XP days). I changed it to Verdana, which was an excellent font when there was still a mix of CRT and LCD displays out there. Then came Segoe UI, a really good font for LCDs and the Windows default UI font for a while now. With SS8 I changed the default to Calibri, which is also the default font of the current version of MS Word. Verdana, Segoe UI, and Calibri are all very carefully developed fonts with lots of R&D behind them.

On my Surface Book with a high-DPI display I use Constantia, which does not look quite as nice on a normal screen, IMO, but is very beautiful with high-DPI.

Obviously this is all a matter of personal taste. I really don't like Arial as a font and I don't think it kerns very well.

Thank you, Brandon, for the memory of what fonts we've used in the past. I just tried the rest of them out, and I guess I'll stick with Tahoma for now. I had forgotten that one. Seems it handles kerning better than Calibri, at least on my machine, to my eyes.

I can see why you like Constantia, and I'm not totally opposed to a serif font for SS, but I still reverted back to a sans serif one. :)

For my KING JAMES 1611, I use the Old English, It makes me feel, way way back in time, where I wear the sword and the shield !!! (Lolll) but for all my other panels, I use Time New Roman Greek.
By the way, it would be nice if we could set font for each Bible. I guess it would be too much work, I do use Old English when I sit down to just read my 1611... I love it.

Back