Module icon

User-submitted What the Bible Teaches 1.1
R. A. Torrey

No permission to download

wsbones

Beta Tester
wsbones submitted a new resource:

What the Bible Teaches - R. A. Torrey

A Thorough and Comprehensive Study of what the Bible has to Say Concerning the Great Doctrines of which it Treats
COPYRIGHT 1898

By Fleming H. Revell Company
New York: 158 Fifth Avenue Chicago: 17 North Wabash Ave. London: 21 Paternoster Square Edinburgh: 75 Princes Street

PREFACE

THIS BOOK REPRESENTS years of study. Its contents have been tested again and again in the classroom — in classes composed, in some instances, of representatives of thirty-six denominations. However, it is...

Read more about this resource...

I disagree with Torrey's statement in the preface, and history seems to have put the RV on the shelf, but Torrey's book still has great value.

"Wherever possible the text of the Authorized Version has been given. In many instances this was impossible, as the Revised Version is manifestly much more exact. Had it appeared that the Revised Version would soon obtain that general acceptance and use which it seems to so richly deserve, the author would have adopted it throughout, except in those rare instances where it is manifestly in error. In a few instances, it was necessary to adopt renderings differing from both the Authorized Version and the Revised Version, and from the American Appendix to the Revised Version."

I disagree with Torrey's statement in the preface, and history seems to have put the RV on the shelf, but Torrey's book still has great value.

"Wherever possible the text of the Authorized Version has been given. In many instances this was impossible, as the Revised Version is manifestly much more exact. Had it appeared that the Revised Version would soon obtain that general acceptance and use which it seems to so richly deserve, the author would have adopted it throughout, except in those rare instances where it is manifestly in error. In a few instances, it was necessary to adopt renderings differing from both the Authorized Version and the Revised Version, and from the American Appendix to the Revised Version."
I've been changing the RV verses to KJV, but I started halfway through. Don't know if I'll go back and change the rest. Maybe. The first three books were VERY interesting, and I wouldn't be adverse to reading them again!

Back