Audio bible integration

nhl

Brandon, can you describe what the audio bible integration code looks for?

I have a directory structure which look this.
d:\The Holy Bible in Audio - King James Version\01 KJV Genesis\01 KJV Genesis Chapter 01.mp3
d:\The Holy Bible in Audio - King James Version\01 KJV Genesis\01 KJV Genesis Chapter 02.mp3
d:\The Holy Bible in Audio - King James Version\02 KJV Exodus\02 KJV Exodus Chapter 01.mp3

It's not clear to me if you're looking at file names - if so, how should the files etc. be named.
Or perhaps mp3 tags in which case, again, what is the code looking for.
Or both?
Or neither, in which case I'm probably SOL.
Thanks

I am happy to clarify. From the documentation:

http://www.swordsearcher.com/helpfiles/current/bible_audio_support.html

In order to link an audio Bible in SwordSearcher, there must be one file per chapter of the Bible, in MP3, WMA, or WAV format. ... Other file sets may also work, as long as they contain one chapter per file and the file names contain recognizable scripture references.

The mp3 tags are ignored. All it cares about are file names. What happens when you try to link your set? Off the top of my head I am not sure if the parser for the file names is set up to unroll spelled out "chapter" etc.

The message I get is:

Unable to link audio files due to the following error:
A problem occurred in initializing MCI.

I pointed at the root dir, i.e. d:\The Holy Bible in Audio - King James Version\

I could not find doc on what the chapter filenames should be.
I think I'll go see what http://www.bible.is creates the chapter files as.

If there is a problem finding the chapters from the names SwordSearcher will tell you. SwordSearcher does not need the files to be any kind of "exact" naming -- as long as it can find a reference to a chapter somewhere in the file name it will work.

The error you are getting means that Windows wasn't able to open the audio file for SwordSearcher.

If you have any "codec packs" installed on your system you will need to see about removing them. Usually when someone has this problem (MCI initialization) it is due to some kind of codec pack obliterating the codec chain in their operating system. This older thread has some troubleshooting examples people have gone through: http://forums.swordsearcher.com/threads/audio-bible-support-in-swordsearcher.1539/

By the way, I've never installed any codec packs on this system.
A s/w based DVD player yes, so perhaps it could be interfering.
I also tried making Windows Media Player the default player for mp3s - WMP plays the mp3s just fine but it did not help.

By the way, I've never installed any codec packs on this system.
A s/w based DVD player yes, so perhaps it could be interfering.
I also tried making Windows Media Player the default player for mp3s - WMP plays the mp3s just fine but it did not help.

I have seen DVD software override the base codecs in Windows and break the MCI functionality. Unfortunately this can be very hard to diagnose. SwordSearcher does not include any code for playing back audio files itself; it is essentially "asking Windows to do it" internally.

I did some googling on the error message "A problem occurred in initializing MCI" and this is something others have experienced in other applications. (SwordSearcher is just showing you the error message from Windows). One thing that seems to cause this problem are bad MP3 tags in the files. This may not be feasible, but you could use an MP3 tag editor (hopefully one that can do hundreds of files at once) to remove the mp3 tags and try it to see what happens. Obviously you would want to do it on a copy of your files, not change the originals.

If you experience this problem with one of the supported audio Bible sets then it would probably be something else.

Ah, there are no tags at all (I saw that yesterday) so I'll add some.
I'll add feedback later - thanks much for looking.

Ok, confusing.
Both Windows and XYplorer find no mp3 tags whereas Mp3tag does.
Forcing Mp3tag to re-apply the tags didn't help (even though they're now visible in Windows Explorer etc.)

Brandon, please don't spend any more time on this.
I'll update if/when I find a solution.
Thanks again.

Is your set one you assembled yourself or is it online where I can download the whole thing exactly as you have it?

Well, I really didn't want you to spend more time on this.

:) That's okay. I will add this audio Bible to my list of things to look into, though.

Hi nhl,
I've listened to Scourby and others for years and personally prefer him to others, however... I have found many errors in his reading... LOL for example 1Cor4:8 he says ..."ye have reigned as gods without us:" but the Bible actually reads "ye have reigned as kings without us" and as an ex mormon it perked my ears :eek: and always makes me cringe... The indexed Scourby also works better with SS7 than any others, and so I keep using his reading .

However;
I decided to try David Heath today and had the same issue as you did, -and so I tried the following- *after moving all files to one single folder*.
1. renamed all files = no help
2. removed image files from ID3 tags = no help
3. changed some fields in all tags to update all tags = no help
4. shortened file names down to just book/chapter names and used _ (underscore) instead of a space = no help
(4b goof- I tried renaming in Win 10 and accidentally renamed all files Genesis 1 LOL :oops: ooops... then went back to Linux)

Here is what finally worked
5. "Deleted" all ID3 tags (= no help until after the next step)
6. re-populated new ID3 tags with file name as "Title" so now they all read just book name with underscore and chapter [example Genesis_1, Genesis_2...] (I doubt the _ Underscore is needed, and I doubt renaming is needed but that is what I did) I think maybe the original tags must be corrupted or some strange thing?

Tools I used
I use Linux Mint17.2 XFCE OS and EasyTag for Linux, but I notice they do make a Windows version of EasyTag that I have not tried.
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/EasyTAG/FAQ

In EasyTag (on a backup copy of your files ;) ,,,)
1. Select all files (right click in the file name area then "select all") and click the "Remove Tags" button then "Save Files"
2. Select "show scanner" button and in the pop up window, then enter %t and then "scan files" -this should populate the title field in the ID3 Tags, with the file name. Then "Save Files"

That should be enough to get it to work in SS7, but I went ahead and filled in the Album as "Holy Bible" and a few other things like the "year" and "encoded by" and populated those fields on all tags as well. ***But I didn't fill in Track Numbers or the Comment field***

I run SwordSearcher7 in a Win XP Virtual Machine inside of Linux.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what finally worked
5. "Deleted" all ID3 tags (= no help until after the next step)
6. re-populated new ID3 tags with file name as "Title" so now they all read just book name with underscore and chapter [example Genesis_1, Genesis_2...] (I doubt the _ Underscore is needed, and I doubt renaming is needed but that is what I did) I think maybe the original tags must be corrupted or some strange thing?

Mobi, thanks for posting this.
I had not checked the forum for quite a while.
I'll try sometime in the next few days to see if I can get it to work.

Bingo
Using Mp3tag.

Removed all tags.
Applied the filename (minus the extension) as the tag Title.
e.g. Filename of "1 Chronicles 01.mp3" becomes Title "1 Chronicles 01" (no quotes of course).
Restarted SwordSearcher.

Thanks again Mobi

Back