Commentary that sends links to all its Bible references to the Bible margin

Eric

Beta Tester
I have a commentary module in which I write my own notes on the Scripture on a per-verse basis. Because it is a SwordSearcher commentary module and not a SwordSearcher book module, the only links to my user commentary that show up in the margin when reading the Bible are the links to the one verse under which a comment is made. That is helpful in that I don't have to go look to see if I've already commented on that verse. But I'm not sure if it really does what I think I'd like.

I would like a way to "toggle" user-made commentary modules (maybe all commentary modules?) so that all Scripture references in them show up in the margin. Let's say I've commented at Genesis 4:1 in my user commentary and referred to Ge 3:15 there. I would like there to be a live link in the margin when I'm reading Ge 4:1 and Ge 3:15. As it is now, when I read Ge 3:15, I do not realize that I commented on that verse in relation to Ge 4:1.

I have thought of just not using the user commentary and making a user book with 31102 entries (for the number of verses in the Bible). Then I think I would get what I want. But maybe there is a better way …

Does anyone else see the benefit of this? What do you think, Brandon?

Thanks, everybody!

Edited: typo fixed

I have a commentary module in which I write my own notes on the Scripture on a per-verse basis. Because it is a SwordSearcher commentary module and not a SwordSearcher book module, the only links to my user commentary that show up in the margin when reading the Bible are the links to the one verse under which a comment is made. That is helpful in that I don't have to go look to see if I've already commented on that verse. But I'm not sure if it really does what I think I'd like.

I would like a way to "toggle" user-made commentary modules (maybe all commentary modules?) so that all Scripture references in them show up in the margin. Let's say I've commented at Genesis 4:1 in my user commentary and referred to Ge 3:15 there. I would like there to be a live link in the margin when I'm reading Ge 4:1 and Ge 3:15. As it is now, when I read Ge 3:15, I do not realize that I commented on that verse in relation to Ge 4:1.

I have thought of just not using the user commentary and making a user book with 31102 entries (for the number of verses in the Bible). Then I think I would get what I want. But maybe there is a better way …

Thanks, everybody!

Edited: typo fixed

Personally use the "TAG" module to get ALLLLLL modules under one topic:
I love this way to "toggle, TAG" all my topics. A very easy way for me.
If I understand well . . .

I understand what you're going for. I will add this to my feature request list and see what the ramifications of adding an "exhaustive margin index for commentary modules" might be. I can see the value in at least having the option.

That said, you can get the same data in the Topic Guide or even the Verse Guide.

1700049887078.png

I understand what you're going for. I will add this to my feature request list and see what the ramifications of adding an "exhaustive margin index for commentary modules" might be. I can see the value in at least having the option.
Thank you for considering it.
That said, you can get the same data in the Topic Guide or even the Verse Guide.
Somehow the Topic Guide and Verse Guides have never excited me. It's probably some way I process information. A lot of details in one place (the margin) excites me and I use it, but a lot of details in a separate panel doesn't thrill me. However, maybe, just maybe I can re-train this mind of mine!

I use quite a lot of software, but I still think SwordSearcher does the best job of making things both easy to use and meeting most of my "needs" (otherwise known as desires). Thank you, Brandon.

I have some problems with it also.
I wonder if the TVG could be filtered by a module set to make it more selective?

I was thinking last night that maybe I could rename my user commentary so that it was always at the top of the list in the TVG. Maybe with an * or ° character at the front. I haven't tried it yet, though.
I have an underscore, i.e., _Notes, at the front of mine... That puts it at the top of the list in most instances, but at the bottom of the list in the drop-down selection for the commentary panel.

I was thinking last night that maybe I could rename my user commentary so that it was always at the top of the list in the TVG. Maybe with an * or ° character at the front. I haven't tried it yet, though.
I use _ underscore prefix (i.e. _MyNotes). If you have links to the commentary you will have to change them in all the places referring to it.

Back