Copy from one module to another

BroCharlieD

I was wondering if there was a way to copy an entry from one module to another? I am referring to user created modules, of course.
I have been putting items in a module and now think it better to put them in another one and I am hoping there is an easier way of doing it then recreating them.
Bro Charlie D

The simplest way if there are not too many entries to copy:
  • Edit the first entry
  • Ctrl - a to select all text
  • Close the editor
  • Go to the new topic and edit (you may have to create a topic)
  • Ctrl - v to paste
  • Close the editor

Do this for all the entries you want to copy

This should keep your formatting.

What Bill said is the straightforward approach.

If you have a lot of entries, though, it can be done faster by exporting both modules as Forge input files (using the export function on the User menu), and then in a text editor combining both exports into a single file, then use Forge to re-compile a single module. This requires some "comfort" with working with raw text files and it will be necessary to make some minor edits to the header data (and if you have duplicate entry titles in the two modules, you'll need to edit those). But if you have hundreds of entries, this would take a lot less effort.

You can also select the part of the entry that you want to copy, right-click and select 'copy' (or hold down the ctrl key and then press c), close the editor and open the new module editor, put the cursor where you want the copied text to be, right-click and select 'paste' (or hold down the ctrl key and press v).

What Bill said is the straightforward approach.

If you have a lot of entries, though, it can be done faster by exporting both modules as Forge input files (using the export function on the User menu), and then in a text editor combining both exports into a single file, then use Forge to re-compile a single module. This requires some "comfort" with working with raw text files and it will be necessary to make some minor edits to the header data (and if you have duplicate entry titles in the two modules, you'll need to edit those). But if you have hundreds of entries, this would take a lot less effort.
This seems to be the way to go. A lot better than a lot of copy and pasting.
Thanks,
BroCharlieD

Back