Exporting

wsbones

Beta Tester
When I export a user book or commentary, the resulting HTML is difficult to read in an editor without some manual formatting work. Could the export process include some CR/LF's in appropriate places to make the file more easily readable and editable. For example, put a CR/LF before the following:
<a href ...
<br>
<p>
<table>
...probably other tags also.

Sometimes it's easier to export a file, do a global change, and then re-import. Especially if you have done some editing within SS and don't want to lose those changes.

Thanks.

This is something to consider, but I must admit to being hesitant to modify the HTML code in the entries during the export. Remember that one of the options for the editor is for people to edit the raw HTML, and altering the output may circumvent the intentions of users doing direct HTML editing.

This is something to consider, but I must admit to being hesitant to modify the HTML code in the entries during the export. Remember that one of the options for the editor is for people to edit the raw HTML, and altering the output may circumvent the intentions of users doing direct HTML editing.

I agree but the carriage return in front of certain tags shouldn't affect anything. Right? The file that is exported looks different from the file that was originally run through Forge anyway. As soon as it is imported all the CR's would disappear again.

Whatever you think is best:) I can always make changes in my editor, but I don't like doing it every time I export. The other way would be to always make changes only to the source file and keep it formatted. However, sometimes it's tempting to make a simple change directly in SS.

It's not a big deal. I've just been doing a lot of this lately.

I found a freeware editor that has a "tidy" function for HTML that should do the trick - Notetab Light.

The tidy tool in NoteTab I believe comes from the HTML Tidy project at

http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

and is licensed under the MIT license.

I just mention it because Mr. Staggs could possibly use the tidy library in Forge or Sword Searcher if the license is agreeable to him. It is available without cost.

Yours in Christ Jesus,
Danny

Back