Getting fonts correct.......

Regie

I continually have trouble with fonts when I copy something and place it directly into a module so I have discovered IMO that it is best to place it into MS Word and then format it there like I want it to be in the finished product. However, I have a version of MS Word that came over on the Mayflower and even that does not work sometimes. I usually don't do it but there is a feature in SwordSearcher that allows a person to remove all formatting and then set it as you want it in SwordSearcher but that also removes all italics and bold, etc. and causes more work just adding those back, right? Often I rather take the easier route and just let it format some or most of it like I want it and let the thing figure out how it wants to format it for often I can try to change it to the size or font that I want and it just won't do it for me. Does this new version 6 help any in regards to any or all of this or is there something I need to do that might help? I hate dealing with fonts and I hope I understand whatever it is that anyone here tries to explain to me. :)

The user editor in SwordSearcher uses a standard HTML editing component in Windows, which hasn't changed from version 5 to version 6. How pasted formatted text looks depends a lot on where it is being copied from.

What are you copying from that causes font troubles?

Usually it is something I have scanned from a book or copied from the internet site when someone has given me permission to do so. However, recently I did a book of a friend who originally had the text in something I had never heard of (I can't remember the name of it now) and he sent it to me in Word document format. On things scanned or from the internet it seems I have trouble even sometimes when I bring it into MS Word which I think I got in an old computer purchase. I think it is Word2000 - so it is old.

With ramblings like this I don't think you will be able to help me. Maybe I can get it all together better and send you actual examples of what happened.

Thanks much & have a good day & MGB,
Regie

I've experienced formatting difficulties primarily when pasting material in from OCR text -- often those tools produce beautiful and accurate PDFs that are formatted just right for the page, but then when you try to shift the format into something else, problems show up. Paragraphs not appearing where they should be, font changes, etc. (The same thing can happen in Word if you change margins, or make other changes that affect the flow of the text.)

I've done my fair share of OCR proofing and usually what I do is strip the formatting from the source and start with plain text. It's work for sure, but the only way I know of to make sure the end result looks the way I want it to look.

Back