Harmony of Gospels

Thanks Bill.

Ruthlyn

converting the Bible text file into another text file . . .

Hi Bill,

Last year you posted 'Indonesian Baru' text file ready for Forge.
How did you do that?

Re: converting the Bible text file into another text file . . .

Hi Bill,

Last year you posted 'Indonesian Baru' text file ready for Forge.
How did you do that?

Take a plain text file of a Bible with each verse on a new line. Add the $$ Ch:Vrs lines above each line. You can do it with a text editor.

Here's an example of Ge 1:1-3...Rev 22:19-21. Note the header at the top tells Forge what to call it.

; User b_indonesian_baru Bible
; TITLE: Indonesian Baru Bible
; ABBREVIATION: Baru

$$ Ge 1:1
Pada mulanya Allah menciptakan langit dan bumi.
$$ Ge 1:2
Bumi belum berbentuk dan kosong; gelap gulita menutupi samudera raya, dan Roh Allah melayang-layang di atas permukaan air.
$$ Ge 1:3
Berfirmanlah Allah: "Jadilah terang." Lalu terang itu jadi.
$$ Re 22:19
Dan jikalau seorang mengurangkan sesuatu dari perkataan-perkataan dari kitab nubuat ini, maka Allah akan mengambil bagiannya dari pohon kehidupan dan dari kota kudus, seperti yang tertulis di dalam kitab ini."
$$ Re 22:20
Ia yang memberi kesaksian tentang semuanya ini, berfirman: "Ya, Aku datang segera!" Amin, datanglah, Tuhan Yesus!
$$ Re 22:21
Kasih karunia Tuhan Yesus menyertai kamu sekalian! Amin.

Take a plain text file of a Bible with each verse on a new line. Add the $$ Ch:Vrs lines above each line. You can do it with a text editor.

Since there are lots of Text Editors on the net, which of which you would recommend?
Thanks

Since there are lots of Text Editors on the net, which of which you would recommend?
Thanks

I use The Semware Editor for most jobs. It hasn't been updated in a few years and has some limitations but I am familiar with it's features. It has a macro record capability that is useful for hard-to-do repetitive editing. It makes it easy to take the verse refs from one file and merge them above the text lines in a Bible file. You could probably do the same thing with an Excel spreadsheet and a macro.

Notepad++ is good and free.
Editpad lite is good and free.
Notetab lite is good and free.

Notepad++ has a macro capability so I guess I would recommend that one. It also has regex expressions which are useful for finding and replacing complex search patterns.

Brandon probably has a better answer to this question.

Here's an example of Ge 1:1-3...Rev 22:19-21. Note the header at the top tells Forge what to call it.

; User b_indonesian_baru Bible
; TITLE: Indonesian Baru Bible
; ABBREVIATION: Baru

$$ Ge 1:1
Pada mulanya Allah menciptakan langit dan bumi.
$$ Ge 1:2
Bumi belum berbentuk dan kosong; gelap gulita menutupi samudera raya, dan Roh Allah melayang-layang di atas permukaan air.
$$ Ge 1:3
Berfirmanlah Allah: "Jadilah terang." Lalu terang itu jadi.
$$ Re 22:19
Dan jikalau seorang mengurangkan sesuatu dari perkataan-perkataan dari kitab nubuat ini, maka Allah akan mengambil bagiannya dari pohon kehidupan dan dari kota kudus, seperti yang tertulis di dalam kitab ini."
$$ Re 22:20
Ia yang memberi kesaksian tentang semuanya ini, berfirman: "Ya, Aku datang segera!" Amin, datanglah, Tuhan Yesus!
$$ Re 22:21
Kasih karunia Tuhan Yesus menyertai kamu sekalian! Amin.

Would a wysiwyg html editor work, for us novices?

Is there a link somewhere to use as a 'how to'?

The help file is not really new to html editing friendly.

IE: do I use $$ above each line of text?
do I pick the page breaks or does forge?
do I have to use html to tell when to bold centre etc?

I want to try a part sermon or something before I tackle a book.

Would a wysiwyg html editor work, for us novices?

No. The reason is technical: Forge source files are comprised of a series of discreet html documents in series, all in one file. No editor I am aware of would be able to handle the formatting of such a document.

Is there a link somewhere to use as a 'how to'?
The Forge documentation contains example snippets of valid source files. That's all, really -- most users will never need to use Forge since SwordSearcher provides WYSIWYG editing of books and commentaries. Bible texts are a different matter, of course.

IE: do I use $$ above each line of text?
In a Bible text, you use one verse per line, with the $$ [reference] line above each verse.

do I pick the page breaks or does forge?
do I have to use html to tell when to bold centre etc?
These do not apply to Bible texts.

I want to try a part sermon or something before I tackle a book.
I would highly recommend simply using the editor in SwordSearcher as it avoids all of these issues entirely. If you are not compiling a Bible text you likely have no need of Forge at all.

I would highly recommend simply using the editor in SwordSearcher as it avoids all of these issues entirely. If you are not compiling a Bible text you likely have no need of Forge at all.

OK I'll try that, maybe I'm looking for something to be more complicated than it really is. I've never tried this but then can a pdf file be copied into a book or commentary?

OK I'll try that, maybe I'm looking for something to be more complicated than it really is. I've never tried this but then can a pdf file be copied into a book or commentary?

Sure, you can copy and paste anything into the editor.

http://sites.google.com/site/wsbones/BLH.ss5book?attredirects=0&d=1 is a SS module of the Blue Letter Harmony of the Gospels.

Citation:
Nevin, Alfred, and Blue Letter Bible. "Harmony of the Gospels," The Parallel Bible (Adapted by the Blue Letter Bible). Blue Letter Bible. 1 Mar 2002. 10 Feb 2010.
< http:// www.blueletterbible.org/study/harmony/index.cfm? >

Thank you for your work! I have downloaded this, and placed it in the "C:\SwordSearcher\Modules\Unzipped" folder with the rest of the modules, and opened SwordSearcher... but it's not being seen. Am I missing something? Thanks again for your help in advance, and all your great work!

Rich Wilson

Thank you for your work! I have downloaded this, and placed it in the "C:\SwordSearcher\Modules\Unzipped" folder with the rest of the modules, and opened SwordSearcher... but it's not being seen. Am I missing something? Thanks again for your help in advance, and all your great work!

Rich Wilson

Put the module file in either your SwordSearcher\Modules folder or your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder. Don't create a new subfolder for the module -- SwordSearcher only looks in those two folders.

Back