Houston We May Have a Problem with Books and Dictionaries

eddiefrye

:confused::?:
Brandon
I am not to sure on how to explain this but will try to do so. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate Version 6 SP1 OS environment. When certain tabs of the Book and Dictionaries is selected and let's say for instance I select a word none of the other tabs will highlight unless I physically go through the tabs manually then highlighting comes on and goes off with certain selections of the tabs. Is this a normal function?

Ex. word = understandeth, Romans 3:11 using KJV for test, I noticed this before but thought is was normal until now. I had AMHistory out front selected is only one that seems to stop the highlighting. This may be happening in other areas as well I am not sure yet. I wanted to go ahead and give you a heads up.

This is also happening on Windows XP Version 5.1 SP2 OS environment.

Is it that I do not understand and I am jumping to conclusions or is there a real problem?

God Bless and Thank You - Your Brother in Christ,
Eddie

Is it that I do not understand and I am jumping to conclusions or is there a real problem?

The "highlighting" of the tabs shows when another module has an entry with the same title. So in the book panel, if you are viewing the word "a" in one of the dictionaries, several of the other dictionary tabs will be highlighted to show you that they have an entry with the same title.

If you switch to a tab that doesn't have an entry with the same name, it is expected that the highlighting will change, because you will be switching to a new entry title.

I hope this makes sense -- this should help explain visually:
http://www.swordsearcher.com/features/book.html
http://www.swordsearcher.com/features/commentary.html

Hey Brandon,
I read your reply and reviewed the links, however, something is still not quite right. Here is another example; the word "advocate" 1John 2:1 with AMHistory at the front and focused. I then double click the word "advocate" and no highlighting occurrs. Then when I click on GPreaching the highlighting comes on and then go to the Webster A-J and the word advocate appears. Now I set manually the Webster to the letter "a" to confirm and with some tabs at front and focused on things are not working for some reason. I really believe this needs to be tested by the other Beta Testers and Users alike to make sure I am not going looney tunes :shock:.

I hope this helps in some way.

God Bless and Thank You - your Brother in christ,
Eddie

I read your reply and reviewed the links, however, something is still not quite right. Here is another example; the word "advocate" 1John 2:1 with AMHistory at the front and focused. I then double click the word "advocate" and no highlighting occurrs.

The AMHistory module does not have an entry with the word "advocate." Here's what happens:

When you double-click "advocate," SwordSearcher peers into the currently active book (AMHistory in your example) and tries to find a matching entry. There is no matching entry -- AMHistory is a church history book, not a dictionary. So SwordSearcher defaults to loading the best matching entry. In this case, there really is none.

So the AMHistory is now set to the last entry in the book (56-14. CONCLUSION). None of the other books in the book panel have a matching entry to "56-14. CONCLUSION" so, none of their tabs are highlighted.

Now, if you switch to a different book, SS tries to find a match with the currently active book entry, which there is none, so again it loads an entry that "doesn't match" -- naturally, since there is none. And the tab highlighting will update based on whatever that is. If you switch to a dictionary, you'll probably get some highlights since the entry will likely match in others.

Remember, the tab highlighting is based on whatever the current entry in the same panel is, not on what you double-clicked.

You might want to change your sync settings to open the topic guide instead of setting the book panel -- I think that would do what you are trying to do more effectively. Go to File > Preferences > Sync Options and under "Double-clicking a Word in the Bible of Verse List Panel" select Opens the Topic Guide for the Word."

I hope this is helpful.

Brandon,
:-D
SWEET!!! That helps and is much better in my opinion.

Eddie

:?:
Brandon,
Is it possible to have the Books and Dictionaries in their own windows/panes? I was just wondering since Commentaries has its own window/pane. I personally (with all humbleness) would find it less confusing since we can add so many book modules which are becoming abundant and they add up alot of tabs. Some type of other distinction of viewing these if possible. I humbly bring this to you as an idea for future thought and process.

Eddie

Right now, the way to deal with an "abundance of tabs" :) is to hide the ones you don't regularly use -- right-click any tab as select "Select tabs to show." There are other ways to access material besides with the tabs. One of the easiest ways is with the Library Table of Contents Tool (on the Search menu) which gives you a "tree" view of all of your content (even hidden tabs). Also, instead of allowing the tabs to "stack," you can change them to single-line format with File > Preferences > Library Tabs Appearance > Single Row Tab Structure.

I agree -- between SSModules and Forge the available material is growing at a fast rate. Library management is a top priority for future development.

Back