Isa. and Is.

Regie

As far as I know or remember, I have never had the problem of a text being shown as Isaiah 45:11-13 having Isa 45:11-13 on the top line being switched to Is 45:11-13 when I go to edit mode, which will not show up if I mouse over it. Has anyone here ever had a similar problem? Or, have I worded this such that it does not make sense?

Thanks and MGB,
Regie

Maybe Brandon can look into this and do something or tell us something to correct or stop this error.

"Is" is a word. So it's confusing to use it as a abbreviation for the book of Isaiah. Try going into the settings for "Bible Book Abbreviations" and see what the the abbreviation is for Isaiah. Here is what mine looks like.
1692905930088.png

Last edited:
"Is" is a word. So it's confusing to use it as a abbreviation for the book of Isaiah. Try going into the settings for "Bible Book Abbreviations" and see what the the abbreviation is for Isaiah. Here is what mine looks like.
View attachment 2053
Mine looks just like this. It is not that I type "Is" for I will have it abbreviated as "Isa" in the entry. However, when I try to edit an entry with "Isa" it will switch it to "Is" which messes up the whole thing. Before I save it then, I have to go and add an "a" at the end of "Is" - also anywhere else in the entry where "Isa" is, it will switch to "Is" - so I have to go and change those too. duh. :)

Mine looks just like this. It is not that I type "Is" for I will have it abbreviated as "Isa" in the entry. However, when I try to edit an entry with "Isa" it will switch it to "Is" which messes up the whole thing. Before I save it then, I have to go and add an "a" at the end of "Is" - also anywhere else in the entry where "Isa" is, it will switch to "Is" - so I have to go and change those too. duh. :)
Might there be some kind of auto correct feature turned on in Windows? Just a thought. Maybe some preprogrammed something thinks "Isa" should always be "Is"… I like to make my own errors, thus I decline the help autocorrect features often provide :)

Might there be some kind of auto correct feature turned on in Windows? Just a thought. Maybe some preprogrammed something thinks "Isa" should always be "Is"… I like to make my own errors, thus I decline the help autocorrect features often provide :)
I've just now looked to see if there is something like that in SwordSearcher but I could not find it. Thanks much for trying to help me. This looks like a good case for Brandon. :)

I do not think SwordSearcher itself has any autocorrect, but Brandon could answer authoritatively. Can you describe precisely what you are doing (what pane you are working in, what you are trying to do, when precisely "Isa" changes to "Is")? Maybe a bit more info or even screenshots would help us understand.

And if you open another other app in Windows (e.g., Word Pad), and you type in "Isa", does it stay "Isa" or change?

Additional questions: You said, "…a text being shown as Isaiah 45:11-13 having Isa 45:11-13 on the top line being switched to Is 45:11-13 when I go to edit mode". What text? Are you trying to enter text into user module? What does "on the top line" mean?

I do not think SwordSearcher itself has any autocorrect, but Brandon could answer authoritatively.

SwordSearcher does not use autocorrect.

Also, the editor will not change text that you type into it even when it matches text as a verse reference. It will show the verse reference in the book and commentary panels in the standardized form but when you return to editing, it will be just as you typed it. This is intentional in case of a bad match. The only way around that would be to copy from the panel and then paste into the editor -- that would then use the text the way it appears in the panel rather than what was originally typed.

1692966742583.png

The only way you would lose what was originally typed is is you deliberately marked the text in the commentary/book panel, copied it, and then pasted that into the editor.

You can adjust what SwordSearcher uses for the "standard abbreviations" in File, Preferences, Bible Book Abbreviations, as @wsbones pointed out.

Is. is a poor abbreviation for Isaiah because it is such a common English word. By default, SwordSearcher will not match it in the entry editor for this reason. You can control this, though, since Is. is recognizable as Isaiah. Open the editor and go to File, Configure Verse Reference Recognition.

1692966440697.png

You can exclude certain words from being matched as book names. By default this is the list:

1692966495191.png

Is is on that list by default so SwordSearcher would not match that as a verse reference unless it was removed from the list.

However, when I try to edit an entry with "Isa" it will switch it to "Is" which messes up the whole thing.
Do you have any grammar helper apps running on your system? There are some programs that can do stuff like that, but SwordSearcher does not do what you're describing.

Writing the initial entry:

1692967084467.png

Save. Here's how it shows in the Commentary Panel:

1692967115545.png

And editing that entry again:

1692967176042.png

Try creating a new user module. Then add just one topic called test. Then type just Isa. 41.10 on a line, and then type Is. 41.10 on the next line and save it. Then edit again and see what happens.
View attachment 2061
I have tried everything that all of you have said and nothing works. I will just have to be alert when I make an entry or try to edit one and make sure it does not change any Isa to Is, but I can live with that if I have to. :)

Regie, I cannot do it, but if someone with more time than I have could do a screenshare with you, that person could probably find the problem. I'm very sorry you are struggling with this! May God give you grace and patience as you "fight" technology!

My pastor and I have used TeamViewer many times - hard to believe, but I helped him a whole lot. :)

My thinking right now is that I did not as clearly indicate what was happening with me as I should.
First, the module entry was already there with an abbreviation of such as Isa 3:1. However, when I decide to edit that entry, it will show (Is 3:1) and any other Isa link will be changed to a non-linking Is. I then have to change all of them back to Isa.
Does that clarify anything in all my above entries?

Last edited:
My thinking right now is that I did not as clearly indicate what was happenig with me as I should.
First, the module entry was already there with an abbreviation of such as Isa 3:1. However, when I decide to edit that entry, it will show (Is 3:1) and any other Isa link will be changed to a non-linking Is. I then have to change all of them back to Isa.
Does that clarify anything in all my above entries?
I am trying to reproduce that action/mistake, and nothing is acting this way.
maybe i would have to look at it . . . .

Back