Non-breaking spaces showing up in user modules

Eric

Beta Tester
Is anyone else seeing this? (7.1.1.2 on Win XP SP3)

I often switch between "Design" and "Code" mode when editing my user modules. When I do so, I often find that there are lots of these strings scattered throughout the text:

I'm not intentionally putting them in. Any thoughts? I think this may have started with the switch from v. 6 to v. 7 of SwordSearcher, but I'm not sure, maybe it was when we went from 7.0 to 7.1. Or maybe it's been doing it all along, but I didn't notice it.
Code mode with non-breaking spaces added.jpg

EDIT: I see now that the example screenshot shows them only after bullets in a list, so maybe that's why they are there. I think I've seem them randomly or in other places, too. If I happen upon them again, I'll try to remember to post an example.

Last edited:
I haven't seen this before; it could be tied to the version of the MSHTML IE control on the system (which is used by the editor). Windows XP is no longer being supported by Microsoft so it's possible there are quirks in that control that won't be addressed. If you do see this again, please include the details in the Help, System Information window.

Here's the info:

System information

SwordSearcher 7.1 (7.1.1.2)
License: Deluxe
LibMaj: 7; LibMin: 1
Module files: 50;125;93
OS Language: English
IE: 8.00.6001.23580 (longhorn_ie8_ldr.140222-1715)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40GHz
Display: 1436x878, 32 bit, 96 PPI
Global Memory: 787/1499 MB (free/total); Process Virtual: 1.32 GB

One other consideration is the source of the text -- I would not expect to see non-breaking spaces being inserted if you are typing in the text, but if it is being pasted in that could happen. Especially when copying in text from Word and PDF files, conversion of certain formatting can produce unexpected source code results.

Thanks, Brandon. I'll keep my eye open. I do think that probably I most often have seen it with pasted text. But I think some of the stuff I've typed in has it to. I just don't know where to look. Is it possible to search in my user modules for a string such as  ?

I have lots of   in my codes. They never bother me unless they come between two longish words at the end of a sentence, causing the whole combination to wrap to the next line and making a weird gap in the flow of the final text. Sometimes they are automatically inserted when you type two spaces in design mode and then backspace (the normal space character might be the one that gets deleted) - if two spaces are side-by-side in code mode, only one will show up in the rendered text, but if   is inserted, two spaces will show. For instance, if you type two spaces together here, when you post your message, only one space will actually show up. The second space is ignored. That's the purpose of   in html. If you have two words that you don't want separated or, for instance, if you don't like having the book separated from the verse reference, as in Joh 2:1, you could put it in code as Joh&nsp;2:1 and the reference would stay together and still show as Joh 2:1.

You can open your editable modules in the code mode and do a search for   - you can even have them replaced with the normal space if you use the replace option. :)

If you have a lot of topics in a module, you could export it in Forge format, edit it with an editor and replace all   with a regular space. Then run Forge on it to get it back into SS. The export option is under advanced user module maintenance. 2click on the module, select it and choose export for Forge.

Marty, thanks especially for the explanation and telling me about being able to find & replace them in code mode. I didn't know that.

Bill, thanks also for your input. That is an option. I'm not sure whether it or Marty's way will be what I use. However, I'll probably wait until I'm pretty sure they are not going to keep creeping into my texts.

I appreciate the pointers.

Marty hit the nail on the head regarding multiple spaces. If more than one space is typed in a row the editor uses non-breaking spaces to make them show, since normal HTML ignores successive whitespace otherwise. There may be other things that will cause it, and it may vary depending on Windows versions and updates.

Back