Small Problem: User Commentary

Steve

Whats happening is that I can go through the motions of creating a user commentary, but when I go to try and use it, its not there. I try going into the select tabs to show, and its not listed. Neither does any new file show up in explorer.

I realize it might be a problem with my old, antique OS (I'm currently running Win ME, but will be getting a new puter in in October. I just couldn't wait till then. The demo worked fine when I tried it. In any case, if I have to wait until October for full functionality, I will. The program is far too good otherwise.

The only other thing I've noticed is that when I go to exclude some tabs from showing all the time on the display, the remaining tabs do not auto-resize and/or readjust. Very minor and probably because of my OS.

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings.

Steve :oops:

Whats happening is that I can go through the motions of creating a user commentary, but when I go to try and use it, its not there. I try going into the select tabs to show, and its not listed. Neither does any new file show up in explorer.

I realize it might be a problem with my old, antique OS (I'm currently running Win ME, but will be getting a new puter in in October. I just couldn't wait till then. The demo worked fine when I tried it. In any case, if I have to wait until October for full functionality, I will. The program is far too good otherwise.

The only other thing I've noticed is that when I go to exclude some tabs from showing all the time on the display, the remaining tabs do not auto-resize and/or readjust. Very minor and probably because of my OS.

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings.

Steve :oops:

What version SS are you using?

And have you d/l'd all the appropriate and available patches?

I think your hunch is correct -- Windows ME is no longer officially supported. We don't do any testing on pre-XP versions of Windows, though basic functionality of SwordSearcher should work.

That said, take a trip to www.windowsupdate.com and make sure your OS is as up to date as possible, with all patches applied.

I Am Runing Windows Me Also And I Just Checked My User Moduals And They Were Missing Too. I Just Used Them Last Week And They Were There. It Seems That When You Call Them Up To Use Them Is When They Get Lost. However I Just Reloaded Them And They Work Fine. It Seems That They Only Come Up Missing When You Edit Them.
Maybe This Will Help You.

Thanks to all who replied. :)

To those who asked, I'm running the latest and greatest version of SS: 5.1.1. That is, unless Brandon snuck in an upgrade since I last checked.

As far as my OS is concered, I have all available upgrades and patches. Since Win ME reached its EOL about a year ago, its kind of difficult not to have all the patches. But I check anyway, every time I see a news report about MS patches, I check.

And I wish I could reload them. The problem is that they never appear in the first place.

All in all, its still the best Bible study software I've found and I've tried all of them that I found. I won't mention Linux or Mac, because there is nothing that even comes close.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll quit rambling and muttering now.

Steve :cool:

Hi Steve

Is this only happening with your own user created modules?

If so, where are you putting the output files (*.ss5book)?

If I understand Steve's post, he's just creating user content inside of SwordSearcher, so the file placement is automatic. He's not having problems with the included library modules.

I'm relatively certain this is because of the old Windows ME. We stopped testing on pre-XP Windows about a year ago because it's become too much extra work to design around problems with OSes that Microsoft isn't even supporting any more.

Windows XP, NT, 2000, and Vista have a different way of handling user documents in the directory structure of the OS than Windows 95, 98, and ME did, and I think Windows ME doesn't correctly support these functions the way SwordSearcher 5 needs them. This is why Windows versions prior to Windows 2000 are no longer supported.

Just trying to help Steve cover all bases. I was thinking that perhaps the output file location in Forge got changed.

Would using Forge on a different computer produce a working module? I would be more than happy to run it through for him if he really needed to have the module now.

Would using Forge on a different computer produce a working module? I would be more than happy to run it through for him if he really needed to have the module now.

It's probably worth a try, but my thinking is that Windows ME still won't access the file correctly for editing.

Thanks, Mike!

Brandon, would SS4 work on Windows ME, and if it did, could he create the modules with SS4 and then import them to SS5?

Or, could someone create a blank SS5 commentary and email it to him so he could copy it to the correct folder and access it in SS5, rename it as his own commentary and then edit it? Or would Win ME continue to foul it up?

Brandon, would SS4 work on Windows ME, and if it did, could he create the modules with SS4 and then import them to SS5?

The import process is just an extension of the user module creation process. It wouldn't be any different.

Or, could someone create a blank SS5 commentary and email it to him so he could copy it to the correct folder and access it in SS5, rename it as his own commentary and then edit it? Or would Win ME continue to foul it up?

I don't think this would make a difference, but it may be worth a try. Any time the module needs to be edited, he'd run into the same problem.

Steve, if you'd like me to email you an empty user book or commentary, just email me and let me know what you would like it called, and we can try that.

Hi Steve

Is this only happening with your own user created modules?

I didn't know I had to put them anywhere. I just assumed that the program did that for me. In any case, I checked the manual, and found out where the program was supposed to put them, I checked the location, and found that the default directory wasn't there. I manually created it, then tried to create my own user module (third-party user mods work fine, as long as they're in the module subdirectory of the program itself), and had the same result as I've already noted.

I appreciate all the offers of help. I don't really need it now, its more the annoyance of a feature not working than anything else. I can easily create a shortcut to Notepad or Wordpad and use that, then import the material when I get my new puter in October. The Lord hasn't finished teaching me about patience yet.
:)

Steve

I didn't know I had to put them anywhere. I just assumed that the program did that for me.

I'm just posting this in the interest of clarity for people happening by this thread: Mike is talking about creating modules outside of SwordSearcher with Forge. In fact, SwordSearcher does put the module file where it should go, automatically, as does Forge (by default). The problem you are having stems from running SwordSearcher on an unsupported version of Windows -- for some reason, Windows ME is not allowing SwordSearcher to access the folder where the modules are created.

Sorry for the function not working on your system.

I Am Using Windows Me And What I Have Learned Is That You Can Create A Mod In Ss4 And Then Transport It To Ss5 And You Use It Until You Decide To Edit It Then The File Gets Lost Some Where. What I Did Was To Go To File Search And Find My Mod File And Then Go To Window Explore And Put The File Back In Ss5 Folder And Now I Can Use My User Modual So Long As I Dont Edit. So I Have Been Able To Create A User Modual In Ss5 Then Find Where It Went And Re-install It Back To Ss5 And Go About My Buisness. There Is A Way To Work With This.

Just an update for everyone. Finally got a new puter and am running XP Pro. Everything works perfectly now. Thanks to all for your help and offers to help. :smile:

Steve

Great news. Glad things are working for you. Enjoy the new computer

Back