Tab Improvements (request)

ASUNDER

Those little tabs where we have multiple open Bible passages, could we get an option to move that to the top of Sword Searcher, please.
And anytime we go to open something, could there be an "open in new tab", with a customizable hotkey (Shift + Enter is taken, so maybe Ctrl + Enter, or something).
Also could you add hotkeys to prev/next tab, new tab, close tab, that are customizable, plz. 🤗

Those little tabs where we have multiple open Bible passages, could we get an option to move that to the top of Sword Searcher, please.
And anytime we go to open something, could there be an "open in new tab", with a customizable hotkey (Shift + Enter is taken, so maybe Ctrl + Enter, or something).
Also could you add hotkeys to prev/next tab, new tab, close tab, that are customizable, plz
Serious question, have you read the help file & looked at all the keyboard functions, hot key customizations and about the tabs?

Serious question, have you read the help file & looked at all the keyboard functions, hot key customizations and about the tabs?
I'm referring to having "bookmark" type tabs above the scripture window (above the Bible modules tabs):
Module Tabs.png

The tabs I'm talking about currently only appear under the 'Books and Dictionaries' (or in single window mode):

Library Tabs.png

First of all, I would want all tabs always at the top of windows, in harmony with the rest of our computing experience (not the bottom).
I just tried using my pre-existing shortcuts and they do work, the same as 'prev/next tab' on Google Chrome.
But 'new tab' and 'close tab' are not there. 'New Tab' would open a new tab at the same place as the current one, then you could depart from that location, and where you left off is preserved in a tab. Same as Google Chrome, where you 'open link in new tab' so you can easily go back to where you were before. "Branching" your journey.

So what I'm requesting is having multiple Bible searches running at the same time. Like multiple instances of Sword Searcher, but existing on tabs instead of multiple instances of the program running. And even master bookmarks to open (all the saved tabs in that bookmark) at the same time. Directory Opus has this. You can save a number of tabs as a single favorite. Choose the favorite and they all open. Chrome has this as well. This is good if you want to save all the scriptures on a particular topic. So with that you can reference the topic instantly. Although I haven't tried the sermon prep feature yet.

Also I request for the active tab colour to be configurable. It is the same as inactive tabs, and is hard to determine which is active, as seen in the pic.

Also I request for the active tab colour to be configurable
User manual section on configuring tab appearance:

1714910842098.png

As for the other suggestions, here is an article that explains the general design of SwordSearcher:

You can of course already have multiple Bible searches running. And you can also clone any panel from the Bible, Book, and Commentary panels into new "copies" of the content so you can keep a place.

Last edited:
I'm referring to having "bookmark" type tabs above the scripture window (above the Bible modules tabs):
View attachment 2207
The tabs I'm talking about currently only appear under the 'Books and Dictionaries' (or in single window mode):

View attachment 2208
First of all, I would want all tabs always at the top of windows, in harmony with the rest of our computing experience (not the bottom).
I just tried using my pre-existing shortcuts and they do work, the same as 'prev/next tab' on Google Chrome.
But 'new tab' and 'close tab' are not there. 'New Tab' would open a new tab at the same place as the current one, then you could depart from that location, and where you left off is preserved in a tab. Same as Google Chrome, where you 'open link in new tab' so you can easily go back to where you were before. "Branching" your journey.

So what I'm requesting is having multiple Bible searches running at the same time. Like multiple instances of Sword Searcher, but existing on tabs instead of multiple instances of the program running. And even master bookmarks to open (all the saved tabs in that bookmark) at the same time. Directory Opus has this. You can save a number of tabs as a single favorite. Choose the favorite and they all open. Chrome has this as well. This is good if you want to save all the scriptures on a particular topic. So with that you can reference the topic instantly. Although I haven't tried the sermon prep feature yet.

Also I request for the active tab colour to be configurable. It is the same as inactive tabs, and is hard to determine which is active, as seen in the pic.
So all of that was a "No."

User manual section on configuring tab appearance:
For the colours, I'm referring to the window tabs at the bottom:
Window Tabs.png

Not the module tabs at the top:
Module Tabs.png

The window tabs at the bottom in light mode do have the red X box, so it's easy to see which one is active:
Light Mode.png

But the dark mode doesn't have this. The module tabs have the options to configure their appearance, but not the window tabs.
It's almost impossible to see which window tab is active in dark mode.

I learned about the clone windows, thank you. But this:
Child.png

Is not a clone of this:
Parent.png

I could define that as a child window of the parent, having limited features. I'm not sure how much that matters, but it's definitely not a clone.
But what I am struggling with, is I can't seem to get it to clone the current module in its same window. It always seems to want to cross over to some other window somewhere else. Could you add an option to 'clone in same window' please? Make it generate the new tab to the right of the existing one. And can we have a hotkey for 'clone Panel' or even a button on the toolbar.

Also, with the dark mode, the program envelope is a little too dark. But we can't customize the colour, to lighten it up a little bit. Could you add that please.

I didn't ask you.
Sorry, when you ask the Forum, you are asking the collective brain trust. I have decades invested in this software. As evidenced above, Brandon showed you most of (if not all) your questions were already answered in the help files. I wasn't being caustic, or sarcastic. You can take offense, but again, if you are going to ask in the OPEN forums, expect to get answers from others.

For the colours, I'm referring to the window tabs at the bottom:
Ah, got it. I thought the design of the tab made it evident which one was active (it has worked well for me). I can look into maybe shading it with just a little more difference.

I could define that as a child window of the parent, having limited features. I'm not sure how much that matters, but it's definitely not a clone.
Yeah, I'm not going to change the terminology that has been in place for all these years since the feature was added. I have defined what clone panels in SwordSearcher are in detail here:

A Clone Panel is essentially a "snapshot" or copy of the content of one of the panels which never changes. This makes it easy to hold your place in a Bible, Book, or Commentary while still being able to move around in the software, clicking links, etc.

The term "clone" is a reference to the currently visible content. Adding navigation features to clone panels is something I have been experimenting with but not found to be particularly useful and it clashes with other design goals and choices made decades ago.

It always seems to want to cross over to some other window somewhere else. Could you add an option to 'clone in same window' please? Make it generate the new tab to the right of the existing one. And can we have a hotkey for 'clone Panel' or even a button on the toolbar.

I don't have any plans to change how this works. You can already configure a lot about how a clone panel is created and placed:

Hopefully one of those combinations of options will be useful for you.
Also, with the dark mode, the program envelope is a little too dark. But we can't customize the colour, to lighten it up a little bit. Could you add that please.
A lot of research went into the current dark color theming and it went through a lot of variations with a graphic artist before settling on the color design. Adding the ability to change the actual coloring of the window chrome itself is not trivial and not something I will be doing any time soon.

Back