User created modules not working after re-installing SwordSearcher

Regie

Hello,

I recently had to replace another computer and install SwordSearcher again. The problem I am having is that modules which I created can not be edited. When I create a new module, I can edit it. This is the message I get:

Unable to save changes. Module file may be corrupt. It may be necessary to restart.

I can re-start, re-boot and nothing does any good. I even went to the site and dowloaded SwordSearcher again. Nothing works.

HELP!

Thanks,
Regie

First, do the modules work as expected other than not being able to save changes?

If so, I suspect that they may be improperly located. You must ensure that the user modules you want to be able to edit are stored in Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules. If you place them in the Program Files tree, they may or may not work depending on which version of Windows you have and how the file permissions are set. The best thing is to make sure they go in the Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder.

Dear Brandon,

Recently I had a minister friend who told me about the excellent help you gave him with a problem he had upon re-installing SwordSearcher on his new laptop. I agreed with him and told him (I think) that I knew you to be like that. Now you have proven it again. He and I are really thankful for you and your wonderful program.

You are a real hero in this world of too many dishonest businessmen. May God bless you richly.

Regie
p.s. I have Windows Vista Home Edition and your suggestion got me all straightened out and happy. Now I can get ready to go to church tonight and have this problem off my mind. MGB.

I know this is an old thread, but thought here to be as good a place as any to add this thought. I downloaded some modules from a third party and for some reason my documents folder had a second SwordSearcher Modules Folder...when I opened SwordSearcher the old modules wouldn't show up, I finally realized the program was 'reading' the second folder instead of the first, thus, I only had the library material and the new modules I had just downloaded.

I moved the new modules to the original/true Module Folder and deleted the second. When I did this everything was returned to normal.

bro. Dallas

I just bought a new computer with Windows 7. I put my Swordsearcher 5.4 on it and everything works fine.

Until, I tried to edit my notes. The editor will come up and I can type in it. But when I try to apply it by hitting the green check this message appears, "Unable to save changes. Module file may be corrupt. It may be necessary to re-start."

I read the above thread but I can't find the place where Brandon says to put it, (Documents/users I believe).

Is this a Windows 7 issue or what? thanks for any help.

Shan

There are two possibilities.

1. Make sure that your user module files are in the Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder. If you upgraded from a 4.x version at one point, they might be in your SwordSearcher program folder under \User, which is no longer a good location (Since Windows Vista, actually).

2. The module file may have been marked as "read only" by Windows at some point -- this can happen if you copy it to a CD-ROM and then copy it back to a hard drive. You will need to ensure it is not marked read-only by right-clicking the module file in Windows Explorer and selecting Properties, and on the bottom of the window that comes up, make sure Attributes does not have Read-only checked. Again, it should be in Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules

Please let me know if this helps.

The files were in Program Files (86x)/Swordsearcher 5/Modules. I moved my editor to Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules like you said and it fixed it.

Are there any others that need to be moved into that file?

Thanks for your help.

Shan

Are there any others that need to be moved into that file?

No, only user modules need to be in a writable location.

Back