Verse categories

wsbones

Beta Tester
Maybe this would be useful to other SS users.

In my user notes I have been categorizing some verses by subject so I can find them easily in the future.

I use a unique phrase in the note like this:
cat:salvation

Then when I want to find all verses of a particular category in the future I use the F4 key to search for cat:salvation. This gives me a list of all the verses that I categorized as such.

Here's a list of categories that have evolved for me in this process. I just word or phrase after the word, cat: for easy searching.

Abortion
All (like all have sinned, or all men for all time, etc.)
Angels
Antichrist
Armour
Assurance
Attributes
Baptism
Big Picture (summary passages of the Bible like acts 7 or 13)
Blood
Body
Border
Born Again
Content
Creation
Crown
Day
Deacons
Death
Deity
Design
Employ
Evidence
Eyes
Faith
Fear Of The Lord
Firstborn
Fruit
Gifts
Giving
God's Will
Good Things
Gospel
Grace
Happiness
Heart
Hell
Hypocrisy
If
Indwelling
Inspiration
Inward
Israel
Joy
Jsoc
Judgment
Justification
Kingdom
Land
Last
Law
Light
Marriage
Mediator
Mem
Mystery
Name
Once
Pastors
Prayer
Predestination
Preservation
Pride
Promise
Prophecy
Rapture
Repent
Resurrection
Revelation
Salvation
Scripture
Security
Sermon
Sin List
Song
Suffering
Test
Tradition
Trinity
Type
Wicked
Widows
Wine
Women
Works
Worship

Thank you, Bill for your tip. That gives me another advantage when studying and doing my lesson preparation.

I press the F4 key and nothing happens. Under "Search" tab I click on "Quick Search in Active Commentary" which is attached in that topic to the F4 key, then I type in "cat:salvation" and it comes back with "No matching entries found in Gill for your search phrase. Try the Full Library Search function to widen your search." So I do that and it searches throughout the library and comes back with "No entries fond matching search criteria."

I have SwordSearcher 6.1.1.3, is that the difference, do I have to update to 6.2.x.x to make it work?

Thanks.

Terri P.

I have SwordSearcher 6.1.1.3, is that the difference, do I have to update to 6.2.x.x to make it work?

Bill is describing a method of using user commentaries to tag verses. You would create a user commentary for your modules and then add things like "cat:death" to verse comments you want to be categorized under death. Then you can use the search function for commentaries to quickly find your references to death in your commentary.

Another way to do this is with user books -- just make a new book and create your entries for the categories, and then place verse links in the user book. Then the book will appear in the margin area on those verses.

It is likely that I will be adding a verse tagging feature to SwordSearcher in the future that would accomplish much the same thing but without using a module.

Back