Paragraph Reading Mode missing in my SS 8.2

S. Carpenter

I thought at first my problem was because I hadn't learned to use the software right. Well, I've been over the video on switching to paragraph reading mode over a few times. I do not have the "Text" options tab under Preferences. So I cannot change to one verse per line, but I'm willing to live with that, if I can just get the software to let me see it in paragraph reading mode. But I can't. Adding a screen-shot of what happens every time I try to use this in Sword Searcher 8.2.

As you can see, it has ended each line after every single word. Obviously, this is not paragraph reading mode. Has this option been removed from Sword Searcher 8.2?

Attachments

• Cannot get SS to give me paragraph mode help.JPG
    Cannot get SS to give me paragraph mode help.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 259
As you can see, it has ended each line after every single word. Obviously, this is not paragraph reading mode. Has this option been removed from Sword Searcher 8.2?

No, this is a bug in old versions of the Windows html text control prior to Windows 8. As long as you are using a version of Windows supported by SwordSearcher 8.2 (version 7, 8, or 10) you can fix this by allowing your system to update the Internet Explorer components of the operating system. (It is confusing that Windows ties these controls to IE, but that is the way it is done.) You can check Check for Updates in Windows or perhaps use this page here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-details.aspx

1552225148871.png

If you've done that and still have the problem, please send me a private message with the details from the Help menu under System Information and I will take a look.

Oh no. 'Not again, Mr. Bill!' to quote a very quirky old show. hahahahhaha I cannot imagine! :eek::oops:o_O:)

Okay. Well, since we keep returning to Windows' weirdness about using I.E. to control certain things, and I've updated twice and last time all but completely lost my ability to use this fine software -- I'm going to pass it up. [P.S. When I removed I.E. completely via a System Restore point - which is no longer available to me - I regained control of all that I lost including SwordSearcher!] I don't after all have to have "reading mode". SwordSearcher WORKS on my machine with I.E. access removed entirely. When we add it and update it, remember, I get that frozen splash screen with launch of SwordSearcher and that is all? Not willing to go there again.

I value my ability to use SwordSearcher far too highly to take another risk with that dead end for this ol' machine. I'm sorry that it's that, but not really surprised. Windows' bizarre marriage to I.E. system integration has never ceased to baffle me (and I'm sure others!), and there will never be a "reason" worth going through all those problems to keep it so. I just cannot have my whole system go on the fritz again like last time. I may not be able to ever explain why IE 11 being missing makes everything better, but it does. I'm not willing to monkey with complete loss of access of this wonderful program just for the vain hope of a special "reading pane". Just so not worth it.

I will continue to do the next best thing and meantime enjoy SwordSearcher without the "paragraph reading mode". I can, after all, get that from my browser on-line at any number of sites for free. And when you think about it, if I'm looking to not be "disturbed" by all the extras that SwordSearcher offers, I'm just wanting to read - not study - I can look anywhere for that. But studying is wonderful with Sword Searcher and I want to keep it! I just ran across the list of Jesus' names in the Bible with all the citations and thrilled with it shared it with a friend in Christ who is just crazy about having lists of names of God. He was thrilled to have all the citations. I pump up SwordSearcher with mentions that it was where I got things when they are edifying. Even posted on a group we are both in the main SwordSearcher page and an additional link to the video tutorials, which frankly, was what ultimately sold me before I even got my trial version!

By the by, since we already worked on my system for other issues before, I will just remind: I am running a Windows 7 machine. For whatever reason, as soon as I attempt an update of I.E. 11 for Windows 7, everything goes down! So for anyone else that might later have the same problem, if it's the same O/S, this note might help. Unfortunately, I can't give more feedback than that since I'm not willing to possibly and quite probably destabilize my whole system (again) to find out. It was so hard getting it back on it's legs, and I live alone on a fixed budget that cannot afford to go buy another computer should this one go down. This is DEFINITELY a 'Windows 7 + I.E. 11' problem.

Thank you anyway. And God bless!

P.S. Very very happy with the NASB module!!! So very worth it in my estimation. I left a little 5 star rating. :) NASB has been my favorite version since I was a child and it works just fine with my I.E.-less Windows 7 machine! Thank God!

By the by, since we already worked on my system for other issues before, I will just remind: I am running a Windows 7 machine. For whatever reason, as soon as I attempt an update of I.E. 11 for Windows 7, everything goes down! So for anyone else that might later have the same problem, if it's the same O/S, this note might help.

I only test SwordSearcher on up-to-date installations, so I can't really be of much help here. I am sorry I had forgotten about the issues you described in another thread. I have had a few other customers email me about the "one word per line" issue and they were all using non-updated Windows 7 installations and fixed the problem by allowing them to update.

Back