Possible size adjustments needed (?)

crboone

I have been going through all the settings in the eval version of SwordSearcher, and I've been able to adjust just about everything pretty well for use on a TV screen 7 feet away (yes, that's actually how I use my PC :) ). However, there are a few size adjustments that could be added.

In the new dark mode, the menu bar is very small and not easily readable. (Note -- the submenus aren't so small and are readable). I realize dark mode is new so this is probably just a tweak:

1631808515205.png

Whereas in light mode:

1631808783156.png

Along the same line, it would be nice if the button icons under the menu and in the modules could be enlarged a bit as they are harder to see in dark mode, even though they are the same size in both modes.

Also, I like that I can create a 2-column layout and stack the Bible and Search (and related) modules on the left, and the Books/Dictionaries and Commentaries modules on the right. When doing this, tabs are created along the bottom for the modules. It would be great if these tabs could be enlarged along with the other library tabs, as they are pretty small:

1631809115229.png

Library tabs resized:

1631809155494.png

I used to like everything about as small as possible so that I could fit more on one screen. Now I'm the opposite -- I need it all enlarged! Ha. Yeah, large and clunky. :)

Anyway, it might not be as common to stack the modules this way, but enlarging those module tabs along the bottom would be helpful as well. They aren't terribly small like the menu at the top, but would just be better to be able to size them as with the library ones.

The last thing to maybe resize (and this might not be possible), is that it would be nice if the Strongs text could be made a little smaller than the Bible text. When adjusting the Bible text, they both adjust together and the Hebrew words (for example) are a big large. I assume these are closely tied together so this might not be possible.

Having said this, I'm surprised by just how many nooks and crannies of the layout can be easily customized and resized. The fact the library tabs and the pop up fonts can be resized is great, and that each module can be customized independently is helpful.

Hope you don't mind a few suggestions from an evaluator -- but since I'm going through the application customizations I thought these might be somewhat helpful.

Thanks!

Have you considered globally (as in, system-wide) adjusting the scale of your output? Some of the things you are looking at changing are based on system values. If you were to increase the scaling of your display output you would have no need to tweak all of these individually.

1631814827401.png

the menu bar is very small and not easily readable.
That is interesting. I have never seen that in my various hardware configurations. I will keep an eye on that.

I have yes -- I have 2 screens, a typical 23" monitor plus the TV, and most everything is scaled where I need it. I realize scaling makes it difficult to get everything exactly right.

I just now moved SwordSearcher to my regular monitor and the menu did not scale down the way it does on the TV in dark mode. So I guess other than the menu glitch in Windows, it might still be helpful to adjust a few of the other items, at least the button icons and (if possible) the inline Hebrew/Greek which seems large. The module tabs aren't that bad other than they're not adjusted with the library tabs. Part of this is just from having older eyes, unfortunately, so sizing is more sensitive than it used to be. :) I realize it's not of the same priority as functionality, just customizing presentation.

EDIT: I found the setting to move the Hebrew/Greek inline, and that helps a bit with the spacing in the KJVSL module. I think the Hebrew font just overpowers the Verdana I selected for the Bible text, so I changed it to a cool blue. But being able to increase that pop-up text is great.

EDIT 2: I didn't even realize I could configure to use the Strong's numbers instead of the Hebrew links -- my apologies. I switched to the Strong's numbers and put them back in between the text lines and it's just right. So ignore the issue about the Hebrew fonts. I guess that's the bad thing about listing issues before I've learned all the ways to configure the app.

Last edited:
I guess that's the bad thing about listing issues before I've learned all the ways to configure the app.
Don't worry about that. I'm glad you're exploring. I'll make a note to look into the menu bar font size scaling.

I scaled up the display to 350%, but it didn't impact the menu. However, it turns out to be less of an issue. All I have to do is click on a menu item, then I can hover the cursor over the entire menu and each submenu pops down the correct size:

1631851124775.png

The same is true for the menu and module buttons -- hovering over them drops down a tool-tip that's plenty large to read. It does take an extra 2 seconds to scan through them but that's not a big deal.

Hi Brandon,

Thought I should update this thread on the small menu issue I was seeing with my scaled-up display. I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and the menu is no longer small like it was before. So it appears to have been a scaling issue than an application issue. Not sure why just the dark mode was affected previously, but now it's not:

1636730607683.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the update!

Hello,

Thank you for the information provided here. I like some have difficulty seeing and the changes discussed (pc setting changes and dark mode) have solved my vision issues. I used to use a regular computer monitor and had bifocals which was a pain in the neck, haha but literally. Now with a 42" TV screen at about 10' I'm set.

May the Lords Blessings shower all.

Tskitten

Ps: Mouse and Keyboard are wireless.

Back