Module icon

Included American Tract Society Dictionary [ATSD] [Deluxe]
Bible dictionary

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
I have been working on a web page concerning the SwordSearcher User Modules I have. This one is in my User Created Modules folder, which meant to me that I must have gotten this from someone who created the user module, but I see that this one is part of the Deluxe Study Library, meaning that I should not be sharing it. Right?

Another question is this:

If I find a user created module, I suppose I should not share it UNLESS it was created by me or otherwise, I should get the approval of the person who created it before I try to put it on my web site and/or to share it even privately????? Through many years of use, I don't know where I got some things and I have run across situations where I have started to create a module, only to find I already did it. Duh! I need some help so I won't feel like the Lone Ranger - am I the only one who has done that? :) Help me with my guilty conscience. :)

MGB,
Regie

In this case someone may have made their own ATSD module from other sources. I could only tell you for sure by looking at the module. You could right-click the module tab and select the information item from the menu and see if it says it's a user-create module.

Another question is this:
If I find a user created module, I suppose I should not share it UNLESS it was created by me or otherwise, I should get the approval of the person who created it before I try to put it on my web site and/or to share it even privately?????
MGB,
Regie

I think you can share modules if they are not copyrighted. Maybe Brandon could comment on a module such as Websters 1913. It's a good question. Does the process of compiling public domain material into a SS module give the compiler copyright protection?

In this case someone may have made their own ATSD module from other sources. I could only tell you for sure by looking at the module. You could right-click the module tab and select the information item from the menu and see if it says it's a user-create module.

This ATSD module is in both the program and in the user created modules. I've seen this type thing before with other modules. I try my best to not share anything I should not. So, if you have time and would like to take a look and let me know if I have anything on my site that I should not, maybe you can take a look at http://www.regierhodes.com/swordsearcherwritings.htm - Here is what I get for the module information which makes me draw the conclusion that it is the one that came with the program (it says nothing about 3rd party):

[ATSD] American Tract Society Dictionary

Module file location: C:\Program Files\SwordSearcher\Modules\ATSD.ss5book

Module file time: 10/8/2015 11:26:48 PM UTC
A Dictionary of the Holy Bible.
American Tract Society, 1859.

Available in print.

I think you can share modules if they are not copyrighted. Maybe Brandon could comment on a module such as Websters 1913. It's a good question. Does the process of compiling public domain material into a SS module give the compiler copyright protection?

Right - I would like to have an answer on that too. Some user created modules I have gotten from other places - if I remember correctly, I think you may have a site with modules -- not sure at this time. I would think that any modules we find in the module SS forum would be free to be distributed. Some people are concerned to be credited with whatever work they do but as for myself I don't care for I do it for the sake of the work itself just in case someone can get some benefit from that work. Some of it I don't even know myself as to the complete and wholesomeness of it but I figure most people should be able to take the meat and spit out the bones of any work. :) That's what I do.

MGB,
Regie

Nobody can assume ownership of public domain material just by copying it, but the module files themselves are copyrighted. The module files in SwordSearcher contain a lot more than just the public domain text and are copyrighted and are not to be shared.

When someone builds a module file it is up to them to decide how they want it distributed. Also, if the text of the module is under copyright, they of course need to have permission from the copyright holder to distribute the module.

The copyright and license notice for SwordSearcher applies to the material included in the Deluxe library: http://www.swordsearcher.com/helpfiles/current/index.html

I hope this helps; let me know if you still have any questions.

Back