Audio Bible Support in SwordSearcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
That = Codec problem!

I began to uninstall web browser plug ins and add-ons that use codec for audio and video conversion and downloading, and found that removing 1 or both of these fixed it.
BVD Best Video Downloader (browser plug in)
Philips ARCSOFT Video converter (converts video for their player device)
Problem fixed on Windows 7 with 6.1

Thank you for writing what you found.

HELP! :) Would anyone be kind enough to provide me a copy of 2 Kings 19 mp3? I just received the Scourby MP3 set and that is the only file that will not play. Please? Pretty please? my email is curtissa2 at g mail dot com. :) Thanks for any assistance.

I have managed a work-around until the replacement CD arrives- thank you. AMG was helpful enough once I managed to get someone on the phone...

Has it really been since last August that anyone posted here?

Well I finally took the plunge ang got the AMG/Scourby MP3's, copied them all to a folder on my lap-top and started enjoying my morning Bible reading time with the audio.

I ran into a problem with chapter 30 of Ezekiel. It does not play when I click the widget. No error message or anything, it just does not play. Ch 31 and Ch 29 both work okay. Can someone tell me how to check my audio file or the way it is tagged in SS6 to see what might be wrong?

I've only had this a few days so don't know if this problem exists with other chapters. I confirmed I have the correct ISBN. Also made sure it plays when I click on it from the explorer window.

I recopied the one file and re-synced and it still doesn't play using the widget.
When I use the Play button error at the bottom of the bible pane, a small window appears on my screen floating above Sword searcher. It's a gray field with some random color blocks. If anyone once to see it I can capture and e-mail it.

BTW I chose to copy all the files into one folder rather than copy the chapter folders. I named the folder "Scourby MP3" and ic contains all 1189 files.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BroKen

I just tried it on my computer and it works fine. Is it possible that the file on the CD is corrupt? You might have to delete the faulty file on your computer and try copying it again from the CD - as the computer may have cached the faulty file (I don't know if it does that, but it's something to try....). Brandon or Bill will have other ideas.

Has it really been since last August that anyone posted here?

Well I finally took the plunge ang got the AMG/Scourby MP3's, copied them all to a folder on my lap-top and started enjoying my morning Bible reading time with the audio.

I ran into a problem with chapter 30 of Ezekiel. It does not play when I click the widget. No error message or anything, it just does not play. Ch 31 and Ch 29 both work okay. Can someone tell me how to check my audio file or the way it is tagged in SS6 to see what might be wrong?

I've only had this a few days so don't know if this problem exists with other chapters. I confirmed I have the correct ISBN. Also made sure it plays when I click on it from the explorer window.

I recopied the one file and re-synced and it still doesn't play using the widget.
When I use the Play button error at the bottom of the bible pane, a small window appears on my screen floating above Sword searcher. It's a gray field with some random color blocks. If anyone once to see it I can capture and e-mail it.

BTW I chose to copy all the files into one folder rather than copy the chapter folders. I named the folder "Scourby MP3" and ic contains all 1189 files.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BroKen

Does the file play with media player when you double click on it in the operating system? If not you need a replacement file.

Here's a link to my Ezekiel 30 file. See if you can download it.
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7560B7EF0BA6F1C!31247&authkey=!AJU4Wvl3LxE432M

Yes, the file plays when I click it in Explorer, and I have already tried reloading it from the CD.

Thanks, Bill, for the link. I'll try that and report back.

Thanks to all for your feedback.

BroKen

Okay
I downloaded the file,
Placed it in the folder with the other Scourby MP3 files,
I changed* the name of the downloaded file so it would sort,
Opened SS6 (6.2.3.8 ),
Un-linked and re-linked...

It is still behaving the same.
Clicking on the widget does nothing and clicking on the play arrow at the bottom of the Bible pane brings up the floating dialog box with grey field and the odd colored boxes near the top.

I changed the audio configuration to continue on to the next chapter.
I started at the end of Ezekiel 29. When it finished, that same little grey window came up, it turned black briefly and then disappeared as the program began to play Ezekiel 31.
I then selected a verse from Ezekiel 30 (I chose verse 20, but it doesn't matter which verse I choose, it behaves the same) with the widget.
The window came up briefly and it skipped ahead to chapter 31 again.

I then went back and re-did the whole process without changing the name of the file, but the behavior did not change.

Don't think I mentioned, and it may not matter....
I am running Windows 7 on my 64 bit HP--DV7-1267-CL lap-top.

I am going to begin testing some other of the scourby MP3 files and see if any of them follow this behavior.

Thanks for the attention and assistance.

*changed it from Ezekiel30 to 26-Alexander Scourby - Ezekiel 30

BroKen

I just tried Eze 30 on the Windows 7 system and it worked fine. Sorry.

It seems like someone had a similar problem posted somewhere in the forum a while ago. Maybe Brandon remembers. Not sure what to search for.

You folks are a real blessing. Thanks for the attention and suggestions.

I followed that link...

I tried John 14, 15 & 16 and they all work fine.

I have a computer in the church sound booth that is running SS6. I will see what Ezekiel 30 does on that computer tomorrow (3/17).

Thanks, again.

BroKen

Just a quick update. That file played just fine on the sound booth computer.

Do you mean it played in SwordSearcher ok, on that computer?

SwordSearcher treats all of the audio files the same -- it asks a Windows API to play them. That means it's extremely difficult to guess at why it wouldn't play just one of those files on a computer.

Does the computer that won't play them have any non-standard codec packs like "k-lite," or other things like that, installed?

Do you mean it played in SwordSearcher ok, on that computer?

Yes.

Does the computer that won't play them have any non-standard codec packs like "k-lite," or other things like that, installed?

Found the following in the sound device area of Control Panel:

High Definition Audio CODEC:
Driver Provider: IDT
Driver Date: 3/23/2010
Driver version 6.10.6276.0
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

I believe this is a standard codec. I googled this driver and found it on the HP support site and for grins I downloaded and re-installed it. Unfortunately that one chapter still doesn't play.

I have a driver update program that thinks I should update that IDT thing with nVidia 1.3.8.0.

Should I try this?

BroKen

I have a driver update program that thinks I should update that IDT thing with nVidia 1.3.8.0.

Should I try this?

It's worth a shot.

I wish I had some other option to give you, but I'm stumped!

I appreciate the attention. If/when I get this resolved I will post the fix in this thread.

This little hiccup does not diminish my enjoyment of this feature in the slightest.

I have created a book module which serves as chronological reading plan.
... so I had to read Ezekiel 30 without Alexander Scourby in my ear.
it was tough, but I managed... :D

BroKen

I upgraded to SwordSearcher 7.

Ezekiel 30 now plays.

I have also noticed that the audio is ready faster after clicking the widget.

In SS6 it took two or three seconds (is/was this normal?). Now it's ready and playing in less than a second.

Thanks again, everyone.

BroKen

I upgraded to SwordSearcher 7.

Ezekiel 30 now plays.

I have also noticed that the audio is ready faster after clicking the widget.

In SS6 it took two or three seconds (is/was this normal?). Now it's ready and playing in less than a second.

Thanks again, everyone.

BroKen

Well that's good news, thanks for reporting!

I never experienced the lag time in version 6 that you're describing on my systems, however, there were code improvements related to CPU utilization during audio playback for version 7. Also, with version 7, SwordSearcher supports native 64-bit on 64-bit Windows which can also improve performance on 64-bit systems.

Hi Brandon,
I recently upgraded my desktop to win 8 pro. I did all I can possibly think of to bring codecs and audio drivers up-to-date but I am getting a weird glitchy sound when the chapter begins. If I use the audio files that I compiled from the 60 plus CDs I had, no glitchy sound but it scrolls. Any ideas how to get rid of the awful sound at the start of every chapter? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back