Automated text insert

scott_audio

Hello all:

Is anyone aware of a utility that will auto-insert bible text in a document based on the verse references. Many of you may have already seen that I wish this to be a future feature of SS, but for now, I need a utility that will do this.

For example, I have hundreds of study outlines, that are typically customized and sent to prisoners, based on their specific questions. Most of these study guides assume that someone has a bible readily available. I don't want readers focusing on my words, or those of the study guides, but the Word of God, because that's where their faith will ultimately come from. The study guides from my congregation and others often only have the verse reference, and not the text of the scripture.

While I'm thankful for the ability to copy and paste, and certainly willing to continue with the time consuming task of manually inserting scripture, so much more could be accomplished if this was automated.

I know 'someone' out there has already done this, it's just a matter of finding them (and their secret script / software). I've googled until my fingers are raw, with no results.

I'm thankful for any help you can provide.

Peace,
Scott

Have you tried Ctrl+Alt+V? With SwordSearcher running in the background and with your document open, put the cursor where you want the verse and then press Ctrl+Alt+V and a box will pop up asking which verse(s) you want to paste into the document. You supply the verse reference and SS will do the rest. It works with most documents.

Hope that helps.

Hi Marty, good day to you

The ctrl-alt-v is a wonderful feature of SS!

My problem is, I customize and send out sometimes dozens of outlines per day... if I have to ctrl-alt-v for each of dozens of verses, each one takes 30-60 minutes to complete :)

I need a utility that will scan the document for the verse references, and automatically insert the text of the scripture into the document. Time would be saved by not needing to copy and paste or some other manual process.

Peace,
Scott

I think he's looking for an automated way to go through a Word or Wordperfect (etc) document and have all of the reverences automatically expanded to full verse quotations.

It's an interesting idea for a Word macro, certainly. There are lots of questions, such as how to handle formatting without breaking up sentences, etc.

The SwordSearcher User Editor (for user Books) can do something like this, but it's still not fully automated, for the formatting concerns I mentioned.

I posted my reply just as Scott posted his. :)

Could the Scan Text feature be exploited for this purpose?

Hi there Brandon:

"automatically expanded to full verse quotations" is exactly what is needed, yes.

formatting doesn't really matter to me - whether it is inserted inline or a new paragraph is created, so long as the full verse or range can be seen and read.

I do most of my outlines in plain text, then copy and paste the entire document into a template in openoffice writer (or word).

currently I'm using the SS 'Scan text for verse references" feature to quickly generate a list of the expanded verse references, and putting that at the end of the study guide, but it's cumbersome to read and search through, but it's an awesome start

Scott

Back