Books Created inside Sword Searcher

Pastor Langley

I made my first book full of mistakes now hopefully corrected, thanks to forum. Question about SwordSearcher 'built in" editor. I am using pdf files. Is there a way to use these within the SwordSeacher editor or do they have to be formatted in some way. I can do the editor, module-asset, create many pages and fill them.
What I am asking if I have a lot of PDF's what is best process. As of now I just build a directory in side SS (editor) then point (using html or module-asset) to them this opens each file as a PDF and fine. Can one have them open inside SS and turn the pages or go back to a directory to select another pdf? Hope someone gets this.
Did my best to ask it right.
Newbie on deck...

All my PDF's are in a alphabetic order in a file (separate from SS) with in SS. but NO I cannot open them in SS as per say.
if it make sense.

Thanks Johnny for speedy reply. I am asking for modules built inside SS if there is a way to do this? All my pdf files open "outside" of SS as well.

Trying to make it where they are inside SS the books section. Doing word files inside SS no problem, as you format copy-paste build the book with SS outside SS program. I can build an index with SS editor then link all pdf's (or any files for that matter) to open outside SS easy to do.

What I am attempting is to have them inside the book module opening there.

I am using pdf files. Is there a way to use these within the SwordSeacher editor or do they have to be formatted in some way
No, SwordSearcher does not have a PDF rendering system. This is simply not possible.

Thanks for response. For now, open (pdf files folder) MS Edge web browser gives file list of pdf's with hyperlinks and a parent directory. file:///C:/Users/owass/Documents/SwordSearcher%20User%20Modules/ETB_JSB/
Then copy paste all these into SS editor as hyperlinks. It works. image attached, then I get this.
this image is the browser page

first.jpg
this is folder with pdfs
Not sure if that's what you guys do but I am learning slowly at age 70. Ha!
To get the SS desired outcome it is simply tedious but doable one page at a time (convert) to word or other, which after many trials and errors it is making sense.
Forgot to add this.fourth.jpg Excuse the newbie here.

Last edited:
I made my first book full of mistakes now hopefully corrected, thanks to forum. Question about SwordSearcher 'built in" editor. I am using pdf files. Is there a way to use these within the SwordSeacher editor or do they have to be formatted in some way. I can do the editor, module-asset, create many pages and fill them.
What I am asking if I have a lot of PDF's what is best process. As of now I just build a directory in side SS (editor) then point (using html or module-asset) to them this opens each file as a PDF and fine. Can one have them open inside SS and turn the pages or go back to a directory to select another pdf? Hope someone gets this.
Did my best to ask it right.
Newbie on deck...
There are software programs that will convert pdf files to text. They're not free, but might be worth the price if you have a lot of pdfs to convert.

There are software programs that will convert pdf files to text. They're not free, but might be worth the price if you have a lot of pdfs to convert.
I think his interest is to maintain the formatting of the PDFs. Any conversion to plain text or HTML will make that problematic.

I have thought about adding direct PDF support, but it's not straightforward because while I could license a PDF viewer component for the software, it would not make the PDF files integrated into the system like everything else, for searching and verse indexing. I don't really want to do anything that would only go half-way.

Very much understood, it is my desire to learn Sword Searcher, thus trying to do these things. My hope is move my Personal and purchased library into SwordSearcher. My Warren Wiersbe notes and outline bought at Conway, AR 1990 2 spiral notebooks. A man gave me a ScapSnap S510 Scanner (old used had to repair) had it 3 years before I actually had this great idea, yes I scanned the entire works of W.W 2 volume 3 ring spiral book into my own library, then when I got interested in SS like I should have done years ago, I asked myself, can I get stuff in SS? That was the day for me that I realized what SS was and what it could do. The surprise that SS can search these works was even more satisfying. (Not pdf yet but all text.)
Yes Marty, I do realize software can convert, but as Brandon points out (with certain issues) that most would find unpleasing. I am using some online sites (cautiously and sparingly) to test. MS Office 365 does good, but it seems that unless it is text only problems arise. I wonder if paid subscription of Adobe could pull it off? ( layouts, images, graphics, etc. you guys know this already). Now if you only want the meat (text only) of the work then it is do-able.
SS can search through all material inside of it!!! Back when I started (1985) everything was typed page, so it's like 8 track tape to flash-drive. Ha!
I'm having fun and studying differently than ever before.

1696952465536.png1696952532434.png For some this could be memory lane.
This is what I meant, copy of page from the old ORIGINAL 2 volume set (W.W Notes OT & NT) 3 ring spiral sheets.

The other Pic is my attempt to integrate into SS, by way of an excel sheet. After wsbones and Marty taught me what {Module-Asset} was I am having fun over here...

I think his interest is to maintain the formatting of the PDFs. Any conversion to plain text or HTML will make that problematic.

I have thought about adding direct PDF support, but it's not straightforward because while I could license a PDF viewer component for the software, it would not make the PDF files integrated into the system like everything else, for searching and verse indexing. I don't really want to do anything that would only go half-way.
I use Word @ work to convert PDF documents, and if it's just text, it's usually not an issue.

If you're looking for votes, Brandon, I vote to stay away from *pdf.

I agree. Word today does more than one needs. When I purchased my books in 1978-95 they were no way to input. Scanned my works into my PC as PDF's. Lot of work to convert files then input into SS editor just to have them inside.
So for me it would be nice to have those stay inside SS book module window. But not a biggie.

Yes Brandon is correct. All text probably ok, but to keep the formats (on some works) sometimes is nice.

Back