Bringing in via Forge - bible texts not formatted

Regie

I am working on using Forge to create a module for John Owen's "The Death of Death" and 2 problems I am having are:

1. After I bring it into SwordSearcher, the texts are not formatted. I can solve this by editing each section by simply inserting a space or strange character in the text , removing it and saving it again (by the way, what do you call each section? The whole work is called a module if I understand correctly).

2. I like to highlight somehow each footnote but when I use MS Word to insert a color I get a tag <COLOR></COLOR> but that is completely ignored in SwordSearcher design mode. When I switch to code mode, it is shown - the problem is it will not show in red or blue or whatever. Is there a simple code I can insert into the plain text saving option that will work? The only thing I remember ever seeing in the code mode is a complicated bunch of stuff that is too complicated for me. I think my brain could handle something simplified a lot easier. :) (not sure about that) :)

Thanks much for any help anyone might be able to give me on these problems

Regie

The subject is confusing me -- it sounds like you are just talking about a book module, not a Bible text.

1. After I bring it into SwordSearcher, the texts are not formatted. I can solve this by editing each section by simply inserting a space or strange character in the text , removing it and saving it again (by the way, what do you call each section? The whole work is called a module if I understand correctly).

Very odd. I have not experienced such behavior. My first recommendation is that if you are using something older than WIndows 10, make sure your installed version of Internet Explorer is IE 11, since Microsoft locks the version of system files for HTML editing to the version of IE on the system. Simply installing IE 11 (if you are using an old version of Windows like Windows 7) often fixes problems in the editor.

MS Word to insert a color I get a tag <COLOR></COLOR>

<COLOR> is not a valid HTML tag. It is probably used by MS Word for internal processing but will be ignored by the HTML renderer. I am not really sure the best approach to doing what you want.

The subject is confusing me -- it sounds like you are just talking about a book module, not a Bible text.

Very odd. I have not experienced such behavior. My first recommendation is that if you are using something older than WIndows 10, make sure your installed version of Internet Explorer is IE 11, since Microsoft locks the version of system files for HTML editing to the version of IE on the system. Simply installing IE 11 (if you are using an old version of Windows like Windows 7) often fixes problems in the editor.

<COLOR> is not a valid HTML tag. It is probably used by MS Word for internal processing but will be ignored by the HTML renderer. I am not really sure the best approach to doing what you want.

Yes sir, I was talking about a book module. Also, I made IE11 my default browser, did another import through Forge and got the same results. It's not a serious problem, since I can go through the edit mode and get the text formats that way.

Thanks,
Regie

I like to highlight somehow each footnote but when I use MS Word to insert a color I get a tag <COLOR></COLOR> but that is completely ignored in SwordSearcher design mode. When I switch to code mode, it is shown - the problem is it will not show in red or blue or whatever. Is there a simple code I can insert into the plain text saving option that will work? The only thing I remember ever seeing in the code mode is a complicated bunch of stuff that is too complicated for me. I think my brain could handle something simplified a lot easier. :) (not sure about that) :)
Here's what I know about color: the tag should be <font color="blue"></font>. So you could use Word or the replace function in SwordSearcher's module editor (in the Search menu) to replace all the <COLOR> tags with <font color="blue"> or <font color="red"> (I assume the existing COLOR tags have the color already named, so if the ="blue"> or ="red"> part is there you could just replace <COLOR with <font color ). Then you would replace all the </COLOR> tags with </font>. Before you do that to a whole document, try it with a test paragraph to make sure that it does what you want.

You might find it easier to bypass Forge and just copy your module text from Word directly to the module editor.

(I think each 'section' that you referred to is an "entry" in the module.)

Last edited:
By the way, you have to include the symbols in your replace line to save yourself some angst - that is, if you just replace all instances of COLOR with font color, it would screw up all of the ending tags and you'd end up with a mess. Likewise, if you just changed all the ending COLOR tags to font (without the </ in front), it would screw up all of the beginning tags. So make life easier and use the tag symbols in your replace lines. :)

You will be working in Code mode, but don't panic with all the strange code you see. Just let the program work for you.

Last edited:
Here's what I know about color: the tag should be <font color="blue"></font>. So you could use Word or the replace function in SwordSearcher's module editor (in the Search menu) to replace all the <COLOR> tags with <font color="blue"> or <font color="red"> (I assume the existing COLOR tags have the color already named, so if the ="blue"> or ="red"> part is there you could just replace <COLOR with <font color ). Then you would replace all the </COLOR> tags with </font>. Before you do that to a whole document, try it with a test paragraph to make sure that it does what you want.

You might find it easier to bypass Forge and just copy your module text from Word directly to the module editor.

(I think each 'section' that you referred to is an "entry" in the module.)

It works!

You have given me much to work with in using Forge. The trouble (as best I can tell) is that copying from MS Word into SwordSearcher directly is all the extra formatting junk that MS Word has that causes all kinds of mis-sized text, improper no telling what else, etc. The beauty of Forge is that I can format it, with exception of not being able to insert a "tab" to indent headings, etc. and bring it into SwordSearcher without all the excess formatting of MS Word. Forge is consistent, and though it makes all paragraphs flush with the left margin, I much prefer the consistency it affords. The only options I can think of are the use of the alt/F5 in SS and thereby lose all the excess formatting of MS Word or saving as HTML.

Thanks much,
Regie

By the way, you have to include the symbols in your replace line to save yourself some angst - that is, if you just replace all instances of COLOR with font color, it would screw up all of the ending tags and you'd end up with a mess. Likewise, if you just changed all the ending COLOR tags to font (without the </ in front), it would screw up all of the beginning tags. So make life easier and use the tag symbols in your replace lines. :)

You will be working in Code mode, but don't panic with all the strange code you see. Just let the program work for you.

Right. On my first try I did not close the font tag and I ended up with the whole text in red. :) I discovered that I can use the RGB (such as #ff0000 or #00ff00 and it works). However when I tried #ffffff it did not like that very well and made a mess. :) There is another HTML option other than RGB (as best I remember) but I cannot recall just what it is so I can try it.

Thanks again,
Regie
p.s. If it were not for the little free MS Word add-in that I use, MS Word would be out the window for my use. :)

Right. On my first try I did not close the font tag and I ended up with the whole text in red. :) I discovered that I can use the RGB (such as #ff0000 or #00ff00 and it works). However when I tried #ffffff it did not like that very well and made a mess. :) There is another HTML option other than RGB (as best I remember) but I cannot recall just what it is so I can try it.

Thanks again,
Regie
p.s. If it were not for the little free MS Word add-in that I use, MS Word would be out the window for my use. :)

I make all my changes in MS Word and re-import via Forge. You're not going to catch me (very much) fooling around with that code mode in SwordSearcher. :)

Regie

There is another HTML option other than RGB (as best I remember) but I cannot recall just what it is so I can try it.
You can find all the hex codes for color here: http://htmlcolorcodes.com/. It's much easier to just put the name of the color you want in English (like "red" "blue", etc.), but you can refine the colors best by using the hex codes.

If you're having problems formatting text, you can always make a test module with a small amount of text and make it look just as you want it, then take a look at the code and compare the code to the problem text, then make the change that makes the formatting work. SwordSearcher's Editor is a great tool.

You can find all the hex codes for color here: http://htmlcolorcodes.com/. It's much easier to just put the name of the color you want in English (like "red" "blue", etc.), but you can refine the colors best by using the hex codes.

If you're having problems formatting text, you can always make a test module with a small amount of text and make it look just as you want it, then take a look at the code and compare the code to the problem text, then make the change that makes the formatting work. SwordSearcher's Editor is a great tool.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

It was a little while down into the conversations that I realized that I was not always answering Brandon. :) Maybe you all can overlook me a little bit as I am probably the older person on this group - not sure, but I am almost 78. (If the Lord lets me stay another 10 years, you may see worse) :)

MGB - you're all very helpful people in using what I consider the best bible software program out with great features IMO.

Regie

The trouble (as best I can tell) is that copying from MS Word into SwordSearcher directly is all the extra formatting junk that MS Word has that causes all kinds of mis-sized text, improper no telling what else, etc.

This is the main reason I added the style and format cleaner. If you haven't tried it, see if this helps.
2017-07-10_8-01-39.png

2017-07-10_8-02-15.png

This is the main reason I added the style and format cleaner. If you haven't tried it, see if this helps.
View attachment 937

View attachment 938

Cool! I had never noticed this before. I definitely will be trying it out. Has anyone told you lately - "You ain't nothing but sharp?" :) Bad English - but the truth. :)

Thanks,
Regie
p.s. Cleaning up all this excess mess just very well may supply me with what I need so that I can use the code editor mode in addition to the design mode. All that extra formatting junk of MS Word blows my mind all to pieces as I understand some very basic HTML but not all that complicated junk the MS Word throws in. :)

Back